I am having some allergy problems. To be precise I am allergic to pollen. I have tried everything to prevent it and then to stop it. But I have runny nose, troubles with breathing and difficulty swallowing. I have tried with antihistamines but it seems that they are not powerful enough. I am going to get allergy shots. I am wondering can I take antihistamines while getting allergy shots to improve effect.

Well, since antihistamines did not work by itself why do you think that they will work with shots? Allergy shots are much stronger then antihistamines. There is no point in driving bicycle while you have Ferrari isn't it? Allergic shots are good for allergies that are spread thru the air, but they can do funny things with your immune system because they work by tricking it. So I am not sure that antihistamines would be good solution as a supplement.

The serum in the allergy shots being injected into you is actually what you are allergic to. Your body is supposed to combat the allergies by using antibodies to become stronger against the allergen. However, it can take some time for the allergy shots to become the only thing you need. If it's spring and your allergy shots are not covering everything, you can take antihistamines. Why would you want to take both? Only to get you through the rough times before the shots do what they are designed to do. They do not trick your body into anything. It's the same principle as children being raised with pets so their bodies will develop antibodies against allergens. Children who have never been exposed to allergens like cats and dogs, could eventually be allergic to them.

baxter wrote:

Taking an antihistamine (ie. Claratin, etc.) will not improve the effects of the allergy shots. However taking an antihistamine in addition to receiving allergy shots can improve your overall allergy symptoms. Allergy injections typically take 6 months or more before you start feeling the full effects of them. During that time an antihistamine can be used and you may also benefit from a short-term corticosteroid (sp?) nasal spray like Veramist to stop those annoying nasal symptoms. Also, it is recommended (at least by my allergist) to take an antihistamine the morning of the day you will receive the injection as to decrease the chances of a reaction to the medication in the injection.

Speak to your allergist about allergy injections as well as types of antihistamines and nasal sprays.

I took allergy injections as a child and now again as an adult. I take the antihistamine on the day of the injection to reduce the itching/redness I always experience at the injection site and on the days that I know I will be exposted to a lot of the things I am allergic to (ie. when I will be spending the day outdoors). Also, for the first few months of starting my allergy injections I used Veramist to help with the severe sinus congestion that I was experiencing. After the shots started to work I went to just antihistamines as a supplement to the injections as needed.

Good luck!

I am have been getting allergy shots for 2 months and find the worse reaction usually comes two days after. Is this unusual? The reaction feels like hives between my elbow and armpit. I have used Zyrtec, a pain pill and ice to get the pain to subside.

YES. Exactly 72 hours after my shot (I've been getting allergy shots for 5 years) I DIE with allergy symptoms. Then things sometimes slowly get better and then worse again and then another shot. Is this how it's supposed to be?

I grew up with animals and now I'm allergic to dogs horses and cats... I used to work with horses had two cats and two dogs so your last comment not true..

The original poster may or may not be correct, but you can't say that your personal experience (which gives us a statistical "n" of 1) proves or disproves anything scientifically. 

Has anyone felt horrible for two weeks after their last shot? I've only had two shots (second was a weaker dose) and I feel like I've ruined my body forever. When will this allergen get out of my system?

not really the case. antihistamines block allergens before they can enter your mast cells. and stop the allergic cascade of events that give you the symptoms of itchy eyes, asthma or whatever symptoms you get. Allergy shots are immunotherapy which introduces small amounts of the exact allergens that they find you are allergic to. they start with micro doses and steadily move up and train your body to not react to them.