I presume that it may be the same thing, but I want check it. Is there a difference between Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray from Flonase? Should I use Flonase instead of Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray? Have any one of you tried with both medications? What were your experiences? Thanks in advance!

There is no difference between Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray and Flonase. Fluticasone Propionate is generic for Flonase. It means that you can buy both and they will always have the same effect. And the adverse effects are the same, as you may presume. I used them both and felt no difference.

I had been on flonase for 5 years with no episodes of bronchitis. The 2 times I tried the generic, I got bronchitis. I do believe there is a slight difference in the 2 products even though one is a generic for the other. A 5 year history is enough to prove it to me. I have only been on the generic again for about 3 months and have bronchitis right now. The goal is to control the allergies and sinus before the bronchitis settles in.

So it seems from the few comments that Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray RX is better that the OTC Flonase. I have tried the OTC and it completely dries me up so much that I get a Sinus Infection, same with other OTC of same. I am hoping that the Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray doesn't do the dry up so much as to cause Sinus Infection. I have chronic rhinitis and drives me crazy. The Post Nasal Drip is the worst part and keeps me coughing constantly. No specific triggers, except maybe change in weather or going from inside to out and reverse. The mucas is the worse and I have a hard time coughing it up, plus the build up in my nose I can blow my nose and clear it, only to have it back within 5 to 10 minutes, that my nose gets so sore.
And there are times, that my nose will just start running and it runs so fast I can't get a kleenex fast enough before it starts dripping or running.
Can anyone say that Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray does NOT dry up as much as the OTC Flonase? Thanks for any answers.

I've been on the generic for about two years now. I've had to buy the OTC flonase when forgetting to bring my generic while on vacation and I can surely say that the OTC flonase is much better at controlling the allergies. I know the effects of using the spray are not immediate (usually 12 hours to take effect) but I seriously feel my nasal passages open up within about 30 minutes of using it; whereas, with the generic, I only feel a slight difference maybe 4 hours in, and then the rest of the day its all stuffy again.

I do use the saline nasal sprays throughout the day as well to keep the dryness from causing more troubles, but in general, the real OTC flonase works much better compared to the generic. I know we would all like to believe that the generic is "the same," but in the past i've taken generics of other medications and have come to find that the time it takes to dissolve are not always the same (which does make a huge difference). Also, who really trusts the FDA to validate the claims of synonymousness between the two anyhow. I can tell you from experience the OTC is much better. I don't mind just paying more for it. Just try them both out for a week each, and you'll see for yourself

I used Flonase for more then 98% of the time. After using the generic it made a part of my nose swell and feel very bad. I discontinued use.

I have used them both and i can say that the prescribtion is way better than the otc fflonase, I can feel my sinus letting lose instantly with the prescribed nasal spray and wit the otc, i feel nothing.. sorry to say they is a BIG difference to me , i dont care what they say .. if they say it enough you will believe it , but im not listening to them , i know what i feel , ive been on the perscribed longer so i know the difference, as soon i used the OTC i new it wasnt the same ...

I agree with you - there is a difference. And it's different for everyone due to our chemical makeup. Flonase gives me migraines while with the generic Fluconasone I have no side effects. I'm researching this and am convinced there is at least one additive that is different.

It's all in your head. I don't see any difference in either of them. They both work for me equally. I first was on Flonase. I got the generic because of cost and now am about to get Costco's brand Kirkland Aller-flo because it is even cheaper. Got a coupon to get 5 bottles for $20, $4 a bottle. The generic fluticasone propionate is still a prescription and costs $13 a bottle. Flonase is OTC and about $20 a bottle.

By the way, Costco's is $10 off $29.99 for 5 bottles until Apr 17. Even at $6 a bottle off sale it's cheap.

no, it's not all in our heads just because YOU don't see a difference.

I agree, it's not in our heads; that's why I came searching. I have very bad allergies with nasal congestion. I use a pill but the spray helps keep my nostrils open. My consensus is that the OTC Flonase works better for me than the generic.

I'm glad I found this site and see there were others with the same question as I; no longer am I bewildered; OTC is best for me.

You need to take a expectorant like Mucinex or generic without the DM. You can take the DM at night if you don't want to cough.

What is DM?

Glad I found this site...I too was puzzled that the generic did not seem to work as well as Flonase..in fact I was more stuffed up with the generic! I bought Flonase OTC and it does work better for me.