I had a cold in January and since then have had a very wheezy chest, my doctor has given me antibiotics and antihistamine tablets, I've also had about 20 bottles of various cough mixtures, although I am not coughing much now.

You may have developed asthma. Asthma can show up at any time in a persons life and should be treated. Stay away from any OTC c**p, it doesn't work, trust me, i've been there. Out of the blue, i started wheezing 2 years ago, now i take Zyrtec every day. if i forget my pill, the wheezing returns.
You may also have developed an allergy to something. As with asthma, allergies can also pop up at any time in our life. I have never been allergic to anything, exept cats, today i can't even mow the lawn without my allergy meds.

Hello there,

Well it could be that poster above me has right when it comes to the allergies. It is absolutely possible that you have developed some kind of allergy but you will have to consult your doctor about this. And I know that it is possible to develop allergy later in your life, for example at age of 27 I have discovered that I am allergic to some types of foods. This came as a big surprise to me but it can happen.

Now I am avoiding all that food that makes me unable to breathe. You need to do allergy test to find out if you are allergic to anything and antihistamines are great and they help a lot when it comes to the sneezing.