Hello, folks. My friend got a cat for her birthday, but it seems she is allergic. She has nasal congestion and headache. She tells me that there are different types of cat allergies. I would like to know what the types are. Does anyone know to answer me this? I would really appreciate all your replies.

Hi, there. I must admit that I haven’t heard for different types of cat allergies. I know that cat allergy in humans in caused by cat glycoprotein Fel d 1. It is located in sebaceous glands of a cat. It is mostly present in cat’s saliva and skin. I think your friend should consider minimizing her exposure to cats. She can use antihistamines to reduce her symptoms. She can also get allergy shots. In any case, she should see a doctor. In that way, she will determine the type of cat allergy if possible. I hope she will feel better. Bye!

I have been a cat allergy sufferer since i have been little. But i have 2 of them. (duh) Cat allergies can range from a sneeze and a sniffle here and there to a full blown "oh my God, i can't breath" kind of reaction. I have had both. My old lady cat doesn't seem to bother me much, i get itchy eyes and my skin gets bumpy, sort of like a fresh mosquito bite that itches. I sneeze and my nose runs. Now my other cat just about killed me. I had an attack one night where i thought my throat was closing and i could not breath. I went to the ER and they put me on a nebulizer and sent me home, but before i walked out of the ER, the attending physician told me to get rid of the cats.
I was so sad because i have had them for so long. I looked for some alergy medication, other that the inhaler the ER gave me. I finally found ZYRTEC. I was in the process of trying to get up the courage to re home my cats when a friend told me about it. I tried it. The first day, nothing, the second day, still nothing, i felt there was no use. The third day, i felt fine, no allergy symptoms at all. It's a pill you take every 24 hours, it's works fantastic for me. Now i can actually hold my cats with out going into a fit. That was my last resort, and it worked.