Can you tell me what would be the most efficient way to treat the perfume allergy? I mean, sometimes there is no problem and sometimes I get really embarrassed because I can’t prevent the sick look on my face when I speak to someone I’ve just met. What can be done, if anything?

Avoid the perfumes! Well, since that is a hard thing to do, then I suggest you to do some series of allergen test to determine what is the substance (or several maybe) that is causing your allergy reaction. You should also know that you can have the reaction even if you do not smell the perfume (several different fragrances in the perfume can cover the aroma). So, I guess you will have to make some adjustments, but that is something you just have to do.

Hallo,
I think that the first thing that you need to do when it comes to perfumes is to see what kind of ingredients it has. You have to know this because perfumes are not all the same and this is why sometimes you have an allergic reaction and in some cases you don’t notice anything. Can you tell me more about your symptoms when your allergy is active? I think that you need to wash away your perfume from your skin in order to lower the symptoms of the allergy. I hope that you will be able to avoid allergic reactions as much as you can.
All the best to you,
Karen

I too have Perfume allergies and there is nothing that  will help other than not to use anything with perfume.  My issue is with the co-workers that wear it with no thought or regard to how it makes me feel.  AND then they wear more.   Hard to go out to shop or go to dinner somewhere.

Find out the ingredient? Since when perfume lists their ingredients? I too have perfume allergies and I have no history of asthma. There's no way of fully preventing this noxious reactions. I do follow some science articles that people are trying to regulate or atleast place a warning label on perfume (just like ciggerattes) But of cause by the time this policies are in place we are long gone. Tobacco takes atleast 20 years to be regulated and then eventually deem as harmful. Perfume is much more tough cause or doesn't all under consumption, I believe it will take a much longer time to create awareness.

I feel your pain. I am the same way. If I leave my house I will get a headache and not feel well. I can't work anymore and I understand the co-worker thing. I am going to try an immunologist for possible help. Good luck to you!

I feel the same way and I think it is getting worse to the point were I am miserable at work. It should be more advocate for parfum allergy awareness because some peoples think that I am making this up.

The problem is that we can't avoid the perfumes/fragrances and im so sick and tired of hearing people think thats a solution. We are not having the problems at home. its at work or in school...

I have this same problem. The main thing that seems to have worked for me is to eliminate all fragrances at home, in soaps, detergents, body washes, everything, and then when I run into it at work I can tolerate it a little better. But, the best thing is that I've somewhat gotten over caring about being rude and just ask people to stop using their fragrances. I asked a boss to have another co-worker stop using their lotion in the cubicle next to me and my gym to put their air fresheners on the lowest setting, both if which were kind and understanding and did accommodate my request! There are still times I just can't do anything, but it's better.

Avoid exposure? Good luck! I am now in my fourth week of my third "attack" this year, all because I was near someone wearing cologne. First week starts with burning, sore throat and low grade fever. Followed by sinus infection and eventually, bronchitis. I am usually sick for 3 to 4 weeks. I work out of my home, do not have any fragrances in my home, but must go out occasionally so what do I do? Live in a "bubble suit"? I am being told by doctors to avoid the "triggers" and treat the symptoms. This has gotten worse over the last 20 yrs. and I will eventually end up in the hospital. Nowhere to turn from here!

I suffer, and I do mean suffer from being around colognes and perfumes. I have learned that if I apply Vick's Vapor Rub in my nose that it does help.
I have quit two jobs because of perfume. I am a bus driver and I love driving my bus and I love the kids on my bus, but after this morning's route I think I am going to have to quit. Two students had perfume on and my head is killing. I wish people could understand - I really do.

I to am a sufflerer. Rather badly I'm afraid. Symptoms are: wheezing, breathing restricted, nausia and in bad cases uncontrolled coughing and vomiting.
Then there are the dirty looks when you ask sombody to stay clear as you can't tolerate thier deo. It is as if that they don't believe you when you say you are affected even at 5-10 meters distance.
What I would love would be a public awareness campagne.
AND of course a Cure !!!
Gregg. Denmark

I found this page when i was looking for remedies for my intolerance to perfume and other strong scents. I went to the doctors the other day, he told me its all in my mind and there is no such thing. I have no clue why i haven't turned to the internet to get answers or look for people who goes through the same suffering as i do but i have learnt now that that doctor is a lair or dumb and there are a lot of people who suffer from this. Its not in my mind. I stopped wearing perfumes and using scented products but still the problem lingers as i face with a lot people who wear strong perfumes everyday in public transportation, meetings, just walking by on the streets.....just one smell of it and my headache starts which then triggers my nausea. I am so worried these days cuz though i had this intolerance for strong scents all my life, i had some preferences of perfumes and everything. But now, i have no tolerance at all and the headaches persist a week or more. And though i can avoid fragrance when it comes to what am wearing and using at home, i have no control over what people wear on the streets, meetings, at work....
At this point, i am looking for a medication that can work, may be that can inhibit this sensation.
If anybody knows something, please e-mail me directly.
Thanks

I get the bronchitis too. I've not seen a doctor about my fragrance allergy but I plan on going soon. I need to find a medication that helps. I took a flight to California which was 6 hours and when I got off the flight my migraine was making me extremely nauseous. The planes emit fragrance throughout the whole flight. Do you take any over the counter medications that help?

I’ve been having this issue for years. Have seen multiple doctors, have been on several medications. It’s just like all of you guys my best bet is avoiding it but that’s impossible if you want to have a life. Try going to a mall or movies or dinner! I have been given ventolin for when I get triggered bad enough. I can’t breathe, cough, puke, see stars, get dizzy and light headed. The ventolin has been my best bet but now I’m getting sinus problems when I use the ventolin. So back to square one.

This issue has been bugging me so much that I am determined to raise awareness. It’s insane how this isn’t treated the same as a peanut allergy. I want to go to my local news and get them to do a story. We need to raise awareness. This is crazy. Can’t even go into half of the stores I used
To like anymore because they all have perfume by the registers!