Good day guys.

Recently I was reading something and I found out that a lot of cats are allergic to meat. My cat is not, but that doesn’t meant that I am not concerned :/

I am scared that my cat once can become allergic to meat. If this happens one day, can you tell me how to find out this? Are there some indicators on meat allergy? Symptoms or something like that?

Sincerely, I hope that this won’t happen  to my cat but I have to be prepared.

Do you know is meat allergy the most common food allergy among cats?

Tnx

Hello there :) I don’t know. I never did any research on this topic, but I can speak on my own experience :) I don’t think so. Now I have one cat and I had a lot of cats before :) They all loved to eat meat and neither one of my cats were allergic to meat. I believe that this all depends on breed to breed. I think that symptoms are really clear and very easily to notice. My advice is to do some tests and of course, you should always look what is your cat doing and how she behaves.

Hey there guys. I have a cat and she is allergic to meat. I wanted to be informed about this and I found out totally opposite – meat allergy is not that common food allergy among cats. I know that a lot of my friends have cats and no one of those cats is not allergic to meat. I remember that my cat, when she was a kitten was eating meat all the time, but now that has changed. She can’t eat red meat. She can eat only chicken. I really believe that this allergy is not that common in cats. Have a nice day.

Hey Carla,

I don't think that meat allergy is a common allergy at all. It is pretty rare actually, so there are small chances that your cat might have it.

Some of the allergies that are more common are usually pollen allergies, or allergies to some prescription drugs. Cats can also be allergic to other types of food, to fleas and flea control products, to perfumes, to cleaning products, cigarette smoke, fabrics, rubber and plastic materials, but I think that the meat allergy is the rarest one of them all.

I never had trouble with this, I had a lot of cats and neither one of them was allergic to meat.

Hi Carla,

Actually, nowadays, cats are getting more and more allergic to meat, red meat, to be precise. 

There is a tick called The Lone Star, have you heard about it? There haven't used to be a lot of them, but now, they are all around. The thing about these ticks is that just one bite from this tick to your cat is enough for her to become allergic to red meat. I didn't believe when I heard it, but then I checked the internet and I saw that it was all true.

Neither do I have a cat with meat allergy, but I wouldn't call it a rarity. 

Hey everyone,

Mia, I heard about these ticks that you mentioned. I guess the only way to stop your cat from getting the red meat allergy, since these ticks are spreading, would be to protect her from the ticks, which, I'm guessing, you already did.

I don't think that this allergy is a common thing, but I don't think that it is rare, either. It happens, I know two people whose pets have a meat allergy, one of their pets is a dog and the other one is a cat. 

Your cat probably doesn't have a meat allergy or you would have noticed it already, Carla.

Hey everyone,

I know that cats can have a lot of allergies, just like humans do, and I heard a lot of people talk about their cats having all sorts of these allergies. Now, I never heard that a cat is allergic to meat, I just read it here for the first time, as well as for these ticks that make them allergic to it.

I believe that it's not common at all, I believe it is very rare. Since this is rare, I doubt that your cat is or is going to get allergic to meat. And trust me, even if you try to be prepared for something like this, it kind of always catches you unprepared.