Hi, my doctor has suggested hysterosalpingogram, to evaluate permability of fallopian tubes and possible blockage of tubes, which could be reason for infertility. I know details of procedure, but I would like to know it’s principles?

A hysterosalpingogram is an test essential for evaluation of the basic infertility. Hysterosalpingogram is performed to determin whether the fallopian tubes are open or blocked and if there is the blockage, where is it located since it can be at the junction of the tube and the uterus (proximal blockage) or at the end of the fallopian tube (distal blockage). The test is done using radiographic contrast, which is injected into the uterine cavity through the vagina and cervix. When uterine cavity fills with contrast, if the fallopian tubes are open the dye will spill out into the abdominal cavity.