I am an active female 50 years old,5'8" 210 lbs. I have always up until recently have had normal blood pressure. Now, I'm taking 20 mg of lisinopril once daily. 150 mg of Noradyne twice daily. I have also been prescribed 100 mg of Zoloft once daily for anxiety, to keep me calm when my bp spikes. I've been taking these meds for 3 months. Seems after I eat a meal or snack my bp goes through the roof! Whats going on? I have had a partial hysterectomy 3 years ago. Menopause?

Hello ELisa,

There are a number of causes for blood pressure spikes such as certain foods, emotional stress and exercise.   Some research indicates that people who present with abnormal blood pressure spikes may have a higher risk for stroke than people who have contstant hypertension (high blood pressure).

Watch out for drinks that are high in caffeine or sodium and foods that have a high fat content or sugar content.  Eating foods that are high in whole grains, fiber and protein helpt to reduce blood pressure.

Blood pressure can rise during stressful situations.  I see your doctor gave you Zoloft to help calm you down.  That should of helped to lower your blood pressure. 

So, you might consider changing your diet to maintain a healthy blood presssure and prevent spiking.