Has anyone experienced episodic high blood pressure (210/120) and tachycardia (180+) when tapering off suboxone? When I get down to less than 4 mgs a day, about the third day I will have a terribly frightening episode of high blood pressure and rapid heartbeat. They last several hours and they subside. I've been to the ER three times, and they can't find any cause - I've had every test know to medical science done - renal and cardiac angiograms, echocardiograms, doppler radars, lab work, etc. Doc says "no known cause", just diagnosis of high blood pressure. Now I'm on clonidine and HCTZ. My Suboxone DR says withdrawal can cause high blood pressure, but not episodic. He doesn't think that is what it is, but upped my Suboxone dose back to 6 mg. I want off this stuff (I've been on it since 11/13/2008), but don't want anymore high BP scares. Anyone else had this happen?

Anyone? I'm still hoping someone out there has some knowledge about this.... I'm desperate!

my wife is experiancing high blood pressur at low levels ofr suboxone
2mg and less. her blood pressure will rise to 180/130 pulse 125 and last for 24hours. you are the first one to report a similar issue

themillerjrs wrote:

its more common than you think suboxone can cause high blood pressure and so does withdrawals as one is in acute anxiety the clondine should lower it but also do some relax stuff when comong off even if its just breathing exercises.

I started Suboxone a week ago and I am only on like 6mg a day and since I have been taking it, I have had high blood pressure and tachycardia. My sub dr swears it's not the medication but I am here to tell you, I have NEVER had these issues before a week ago. And now, I want off this stuff but they won't taper me since I just started. I even went down 2 mg a day and it didn't help at all.

i have been on for 8 mths and my blood pressure has slowly started to rise. lately it is thru the roof... i have began a tapper and guess what, blood pressure is falling as well... guess my body is telling me it is time to get off this one and for all!!!

ive been on subs for over a year. 8mg a day and like you, i want off. im down to 2 mg a day and every doc visit, dentist appt, etc. tells me i have high bp. before this, even when i was killin the codiene i had perfect bp. but now that im on a low dose of subs i get anxious and a rush comes up on me out of nowhere, especially when laying down, and i can feel my heart race and i have to calm myself down w breathing and sh*t. i know it sound p***y but i cam on the internet to look it up and sure enough other people have the same problems. my doc said when i get to 1mg i can quit cold turkey and take xanax for 10 days during the withdrawals. the xanax w help w the bp and anxiety n sh*t. you might wanna think about that...

In response to themillerjrs, MY God! I have the same reaction when getting down to 2 mgs. of Suboxone a day. My blood pressure rises SO HIGH (186/120) I get hyperactive both physically and mentally and headaches and numbness and pressurized pain in my wrists and feet. Naturally, when I take an Inderal or two, I can bring it back down, but I'm so scared of getting a stroke (I'm 63 years old). I KNOW this is only due to my withdrawals from the Suboxone, and I rarely have very high blood pressure otherwise. The fear is so palpable, I'll do anything to stop it short of taking Oxycontin ever again. I take 2 mgs. of suboxone under my tongue and the symptoms reside gradually, but the headache remains (which can be concealed with Aspirin.
I'm afraid to start up with Xanax since I abhor drugs, but I want so desperately to stop taking Suboxone. Unlike other patients, I get very very angry moodswings when I withdraw slowly from Suboxone. I don't sleep well and virtually always wake up in a bad dream that seems very real (I never used to wake up in my dreams before). All said, I was better off on oxycontin than I have been on Suboxone, although I've only been on it for 5 months, which seems way too long since now I'm addicted to even just 2 mgs a day off the poison. The clinic doctor acts like General Patton slapping the face of any who don't agree with his idea of how easy it is to do what he's never done before and has no empirical knowledge at all about. That is, withdrawing from this addictive medicine.
I was told by a patient (that I don't put much confidence in) that I should skip a day of suboxone and take 15 mgs of Oxycontin (and only 15 mgs.) and I should be able to fool my body into believing it temporarily doesn't need any Suboxone. But I'm just as scared of doing that, since the first sign of serious physical trouble might have me doing the wrong thing again.
If I could afford it I'd go to a Betty Ford type of in-house treatment, but that's not in the cards and I don't want the quality of "so called doctors" these clinic "withdrawal specialists" seem to be. They're very obviously not high quality physicians and don't seem to care about much but getting through the day and having to put up with "druggies" that they feel so superior to and tend to hold in hidden personal contempt. So as it stands, I can't see any sign of light at the end of the tunnel and am frustrated by my failure to go even 2 days without Suboxone. I certainly don't want to get a stroke, which is altogether possible if I put my body through the ringer too severely and often. However, I abhor the idea of using Suboxone as a maintenance drug.

I spend Thanksgiving in bed and then the ER for the same thing. My heart racing and beating like its trying to run away..BP was high and I have always ran low BP. The ER Doc said he though I had mitro valve and to follow up with my regular doc (which I have yet to do). Anyways it just dawned on me that I cut my dailly dose of suboxone in 1/2 right about the time this began ..well I feel like an id**t for not having made this connection to begin with. I knew that withdraw itsellf could cause this but just tapering? I was on a 2mg every 6 hrs (6-8mg a day) now I am breaking that 1/2 so its like 3-4mg a day...any advice? Should I go backwards or just suffer through and keep going??? <3

can I reply?

I cannot believe what has transpired in the last two weeks. I have been on Subs for about 2 years now. I started on about 12 mgs a day and within a year i got down to about 4 mgs a day. The last couple of months I started having what I THOUGHT were panic attacks but ALAS, in the last week I have narrowed it down to Suboxene, the "WONDER DRUG"!!!! LOL, after spending the night in the hospital last week because I couldnt control my "panic attack",( btw I should tell you my Sub doc is the one who told me its panic attacks and rxed me valium!!! I see him Thursday), even with 3 5mg valiums in me, I had my wife take me to the Hospital where they kept me all night and found NOTHING wrong with me! Since that night I started experimenting and long story short, its the Subs simulating a heart attack. If I take any more than 2 mgs I start losing it and its UNCONTROLLABLE, and I'm as strong willed as anybody. I had a stroke at 37 ( I'm 50 now) and WILLED my self back to a normal functioning person. At this point. like I said, I see him thursday and have stress tests and the works on Saturday with the heart doc ( I will take them just to make sure this c**p hasnt damaged me) and I'll get back to Y'all after I see him Thursday before the tests on Sat.. I will GUARANTEE you he tells me its NOT the subs. You know they have to get certified to dispense it, and I wonder what their take is? lol The "Wonder Drug" thats killing us!

I am amazed that so many other people have the exact same experience. I dropped from 24mg to to 8mg in a month and then spent 6 months dropping to 2mg.  I've been on an extremely slow taper and haven't experienced withdrawals throughout the tapering process so, this is clearly not a withdrawal symptom(not to mention, we are all familiar with withdrawal symptoms and know the difference). I started getting horrible headaches, high blood pressure and heart palpitations, numbness and tingling in right. All when I got below 2mg.

The withdrawal alone will cause your body to develop high BP. I was rx'd clonodine for this and to eleviate the heeby jeebees of withdrawal. Good luck.

Yes, my Dr. took me off 24 mgs suboxome daily down to nothing in 3 days and 2 days later my BP soared up to 210 over 105. My body and head felt like it was going to explode. This went on for a few dais and Dr. gave me all kinds of BP meds to get it down. Ridiculous...I suggest a slow, slow taper. I was already on meds for my BP, one of which is a beta blocker which controls heart rate and that lowered my heart rate to 44 beats a minute. Very tired, no energy. Do a slow tapered withdrawal.

well I have been on 16mg a day for 2 years and im down to 8mgs and i feel like im going to die! My BP is high im having severe panic attacks. I feel like I just want off this stuff I have never felt this bad not even coming off other stuff! Please help any suggestions? Oh yeah and I feel like I have the flu.