Hi all. Apart from my sinuses, my general health is good. I mean really good. Still, I have one simple question – I noticed that when I have sinus infection, I get feeling that my hart rate significantly increases. I feel the same for my blood pressure. So, I’m wondering if sinus infection is a cause for that, or that is due to other health problems that I don’t know of? Thanks.

When you have sinus infection, that means that some arteries get smaller in diameter or even jammed… That surely increases your blood pressure. Now, second effect is that due to decreased blood flow your brain figures out that your body receives insufficient amount of blood ant therefore increases heart rate in order to pump more blood where needed. So, those effects are not only normal for sinus infections but are also almost necessary. Hope this helps.

I agree. If you ever had a cold that just wouldn't go away, chances are it was sinusitis — a sinus inflammation is there.  It is well known that during the inflammation, arterial tension may rise significantly even if you don't expect that. Also, there is one really fun fact - in sinusitis the episodes of inflammation and the systemic reaction can be very episodic more than that may vary with the position of the head. Now, a lot of people are taking something to prevent it, they are taking some medicines to make this pain that sinuses are causing, to go away. But look, you have to be careful and consult your doctor. If you have a high blood pressure, I don't know how those pills can affect you. 

I have had high blood also and have a sinus infection. I also have been diagnosed with cfids. The blood pressure is also unstable from low to high, especially senative in the mornings. I can't wait to see what happens with blood pressure when I treat my self with prescription antibiotics. I'm also going to take a regimine of diflucan to deal with yeast overgrowth issues, which is common in cfids, and also has been proven through Mayo clinic study to also cause sinitus, caused by fungal and or bacteria in the nasal cavities due to immune and adrenal suppresion. I will also take 200 mg of alpha lipoic acid a day to help protect liver while on diflucan (Ketaconozole). I will do a follow up with this to check AST and Alt for liver function to make sure there is no damage. Reguards CBS.

If you take decongestants when you have a sinus infection, these can cause your pulse and blood pressure to go up.

I used to use them when I'd get congested until I went to my Dr. and my BP was reading someplace north of "should be dead." He explained to me that these things are not only addictive, but they will jack your BP, and that saline was the safer alternative.

I have been on high blood pressure medicine since I was pregnant with now my almost 3 yr old son. While I was pregnant I had bad sinus infections and sinus issues. During the 7 month of my pregnancy my blood pressure spiked and they put me on meds. I am still on meds, but I have been trying to get off of them. My sinus issues have not gotten any better. They aren't really trying to treat the sinus issues they are trying to treat the blood pressure. I feel that is backward. Shouldn't they try to figure out what is causing my blood pressure to get high. I have also notice that when my sinuses are somewhat clear the blood pressure meds make my pressure low. And when my sinus issues are bad with the meds my blood pressure is higher than it should be. Please give some insight.

Would love to see more responses here. I have been suffering with chronic sinus issues, and now my Blood Pressure is very high. Convinced DR. to put me on 10 days of antibiotics, and at the same time, I started taking blood pressure medicine. My blood pressure slowly dropped, and after the 10 days, my BP was down from 180/100 to 130/70. However, after being off the antibiotics, my pressure has slowly been climbing back up (and still taking the BP medicine). It is now back at 160/90, 10 days after being off the antibiotics. I suspect there is some infection (sinus?) that is causing the elevated BP - but don't know what to ask the DR to look at next, as I am sure they will just want to continue to treat the BP instead.

I had normal blood pressure and it went up suddenly after I had a bad cold. I had ear and jaw pain. I was diagnosed with TMJ and high blood pressure. I suffered for 8 months with the pain. My doctor told me the ear pain was a symptom of the high blood pressure and I was grinding my teeth due to stress which was causing the jaw pain. I went to an ENT and was diagnosed with a chronic sinus infection. Six days into the antibiotics my jaw pain was gone. After three rounds of antibiotics and nasal steroids, my ear pain is subsiding. I am off the blood pressure medication. I believe the blood pressure was up because of the undiagnosed sinus infection.

For the last 8 months I have had high blood pressure.  It reduced slightly after the use of antibiotics but stay much higher than the 120/80 it has been my entire life.  My doctor and I settled on it being a side effect of the blocked sinuses although others in the medical profession couldn't see how this could be so.

I had my sinuses operated on Wednesday morning, by Wednesday night my blood pressure had returned to 120/80.  The connection between blocked sinuses and high blood pressure has been made for me.

My advise is don't treat yourself, get checked out thoroughly.

I had no signs of sinusitis except for a pressure headache, although we didn't know it was that at the start of investigations.  A CRT scan showed all my sinuses were fully blocked.

Seek medical advise if your symptoms continue for a period of time and do not ease with over the counter medicine.

The presence of an infection can increase heart rate. This is subsequent of the immune system's response to the infection. Heart rate increases so that the needed immune cells (white blood cells) can get to the infected area at a faster pace. As the infection subsides, you should find that your heart rate will slowly decrease.

hi sorry to ask i have same problem high blood pressure for the pass 10 month i take medication for high blood and pill for my fast heart rate now i star whit sinus and my blood pressure drops too much 98 over 63 and i feel very sick up and down i dont sleep well some time is normal replay to me please thanks regards alex

I too am here because I notice that my blood pressure is sky high when I have sinus pain and pressure.  When I have no pain and pressure, my blood pressure is normal.  Things such as Severe Tylenol allergy sinus made my bp go up to 196/100 and I was in the emergency room for hours.  They did a CT scan and found nothing.  Recently, my sinus' are at it again....they are very bad I have to use the saline nasal spray and it burns the mess out of my throat for about 30 mins but repeating that every other day has given me relief and lower blood pressure.  Reading all the responses, I am glad that we have come together.  I don't want to be put on bp medicine if it is my sinuses.  Seems like that may have a worse affect because I hear the bp meds are no joke.

DO"S IT COS HUG BLOOD CLOTS THAT FILLS YOUR MOUTH AND BIG CLOTS FROM THE NOSE?

Always felt the weight of the head and unbalance due to sinus Is pockets raise blood pressure and heartbeat Is this sinus Does the steam useful pockets?