My husband is 56 years old and is about 15 lbs over weight, smokes, his blood pressure is 210/110 ( he is on blood pressure medication already) and he drinks at least 6 oz's of vodka & 2 beers a night. I cannot convince him that he needs to stop smoking and excersize and cut down on his drinking. I tried to prove to him that drinking will raise his blood pressure even more,and I took his BP 20 minutes after each shot of Vodka and his BP would go down. By the time he had his 6 shot his BP was 130/78 so I lost my case. I guess I am asking you how can I prove to him that drinking so much is not good for him. Also I have looked for information on the affects of drinking achole and high colestral, but I cannot find anything related to that.

Hi. Over 18 months since you posted so not sure you'll read this.

Alcohol can indeed lower blood pressure during the intoxication period (i.e. the short term), but the cumulative effects of such high alcohol consumption are far worse for the circulatory system; let alone the rest of the body, in the long run.

Try searching for long term effects of binge drinking.
I have heard about alcohol having an effect on blood fats (specifically, I think, on Triglyceride levels) but I can't remember where. I'm sure google can help.

Smoking - there's no possible argument anyone can use to justify this habit, so you have some pretty good backup for this argument. My GP (family doctor) convinced me enough to stop smoking 9 years ago when he said that smoking on to of having high blood pressure increases one's cardiovascular risk 16 times. It is a struggle to quit but people do manage it and it's so worth it. With your support you should be able to get him off.

However, in my opinion, having been rather similar to your husband in the past in my ways, I think it would be easier to just scrap all of them at once. I don't think I could have given up one without the other - but I completely understand how hard this will be.

All the best of luck.

Jason

His BP went down because alcohol can relax blood vessels and cause the blood pressure to drop.

However that is only temporary. Drinking more than a small amount can cause the BP to 'Spike' for several days afterwards.

He shouldn't stop suddenly because this can cause spikes too, so ask him to do experiment number2 : Cut down on alcohol over a few days then (If you can) get him to stay off it for a week or preferably three weeks. Take his blood pressure then. I bet it will be lower than 220/110 after that.

Another reason for the drop would possibly be because Alcohol can prevent blood pressure medicines from working as well as they should, even days after drinking. So one plus for him to stop drinking could be that he doesn't need such a high amount of medicine as before. Tell him also that nicotine can also prevent blood pressure medications working properly also.

Synthetic blood pressure medicine is absolutely poison!!!...most medicine is poison!!! Natural is the only way to go