Five years ago I had surgery to repair my prolapsed bowel. The repair lasted just three months and in the following years the prolapse gradually returned and now it is almost impossible to push the bowel back into place. I am only comfortable when sitting down. I have a constant release of mucus from my anus and also some slight leakage of urine - again from my anus. My own GP is not at all  helpful - he said "you could have the operation again, but it won't work". Is there any medication I could take to stop or slow down the excessive mucus?

I suggest you get second opinion from another doctor. Future complications may occur if you left it untreated. Your leaking mucus could also get worse and might damaged your rectum.

Here are home treatments you try to relieve yourself from mucus discharge:

1. Clean the surrounding area with warm water using unscented toilet paper and unscented soap.

2. Take sitz bath thrice a week.

3. Avoid lifting heavy objects, prolonged sitting and toilet straining.

4. Consume daily serving of fiber-rich foods.

Thank you for your reply. What is a Sitz bath?

Sitz baths are the easiest way to deal with hemorrhoids. It is an essential procedure in hemorrhoid relief. Sitz baths is done by sitting on the bathtub or sitz chair filled with water and cleaning agents, as well as substances that can help cure hemorrhoids.

Thank you for your explanation. I do not have haemorrhoids - I have a bowel that refuses to stay inside my body, unless I am sitting down. Any other help would be appreciated. Thank you. Pyewacket.

No problem :)