For a couple of years now I've had problems with anal sensitivity, restricted to the skin on one side of the opening of my anus. Both uncleanliness and excessively vigorous cleaning of the area (with paper) tended to result in some - although never that much - swelling and in unpleasant soreness, and I always assumed that what I was suffering from was an external hemorrhoid. By using a shower head to clean the area I was able to more or less totally reduce any symptoms, and so the problem never particularly bothered me.

Seven months ago I moved into accommodation without shower facilities (long story), and my problem began to get worse. Not only did cleaning with paper, and even with wet wipes, lead to swelling and discomfort, but after a short while I began to experience some faecal discharge in the hours after bowel movements. Never that much, less than a pea size amount, but even this was enough to cause serious irritation, soreness and to produce swelling. Resultantly I had to clean more often, and this seemed to lead to a vicious spiral of symptoms. Extreme sensitivity, irritation and soreness in the area often made it difficult to sit down or to walk any distance (for more than, say, a minute). The swelling goes down quite quickly, but comes back very quickly too.

I've been examined by two GPs and a specialist, who conducted a proctoscopy. None of these doctors noticed anything particularly wrong: no external hemorrhoids and at worst very mild internal hemorrhoids which, as the specialist put it, shouldn't be causing any sustained and unpleasant symptoms. When I asked if he could detect the external swelling, he said that he saw "nothing pathological." This has been perplexing to me, because my symptoms have been very real, very persistent, and over the last six months have left me close to depression. I now have shower access again but the continued problems with leakage seem to prevent me from achieving any continuous improvement. Bowel movements are not themselves painful but irritation begins soon after I'm done and, since I have to clean approximately two more times afterwards, can continue and even worsen throughout the remainder of the day. I've been prescribed a variety of topical creams, steroidal and non-steroidal, all of which have tended only to increase irritation and swelling.

I'm posting here in the hope that it might lead to some advice. I have no sense of what constitutes symptoms and what constitutes underlying causes, how my experience tallies with other people's, or whether some part of what I'm describing is "normal" and only problematic because of other "pathological" factors. Finally, I'm really not sure what to do! I'm 22 years old, eat a healthy, high fibre, vegetarian diet, with plenty of fluids. I don't get as much exercise as I should, but I am not overweight or unusually unfit. My bowel movements are regular and soft. Any suggestions, speculations or advice would be truly appreciated.

Hi! Thanks for your post. I am confident you will find much advice here and be able to eliminate some, if not all, of the questions you have concerning this issue. I will give you the low down on hemorrhoids.

They usually are not dangerous or life threatening. In most cases, hemorrhoidal symptoms will go away within a few days. Although many people have hemorrhoids, not all experience the same symptoms, and some do not experience any symptoms. The most common symptom of internal hemorrhoids is bright red blood covering the stool, on toilet paper, or in the toilet bowl. However, an internal hemorrhoid may protrude through the anus outside the body, becoming irritated and painful. This is known as a protruding hemorrhoid. Symptoms of external hemorrhoids may include painful swelling or a hard lump around the anus that results when a blood clot forms. This condition is known as a thrombosed external hemorrhoid.

In addition, excessive straining, rubbing, or cleaning around the anus may cause irritation with bleeding and/or itching, which may produce a vicious cycle of symptoms. Draining mucus may also cause itching.

Hemorrhoids are diagnosed when a doctor examines the anus and rectum to look for swollen blood vessels that indicate hemorrhoids and will also perform a digital rectal exam with a gloved, lubricated finger to feel for abnormalities. Closer evaluation of the rectum for hemorrhoids requires an exam with an anoscope, a hollow, lighted tube useful for viewing internal hemorrhoids, or a proctoscope, useful for more completely examining the entire rectum.

It sounds like your symptoms come and go, but definately sound like hemorrhoids at some level. Perhaps the exams are occurring when you are not having a flare-up? Have you been in to see the doctor when symptoms were at their worst?

dude if it keeps happening try getting some real hot water and try that on ur anus, i know it will hurt but it will bring relief for some time , maybe months , try it

try horse chestnut herb, vein strength. it will shrink the hemorrhoids and rid the itch and discomforts. found this solution from another blogger.

It does sound like the "mild" internal hemorrhoids are causing your problems, and the over-cleaning is making those problems worse.  If you're female, I would suggest laying off the creams and ointments.  They may feel good for a little while, but they can transport fecal bacteria to other areas, making you vulnerable to an e coli infection.  I sit here writing 3 days after a hemorrhoidectomy - not an experience I recommend.  I definitely sympathize was your symptoms and the daily hygiene problems.  I've had a long-standing routine of going to the bathroom first thing in the morning, immediately followed by a shower.  Since you don't have such facilities, perhaps you could get some sort of disposable squirt bottle (like disposable douche) - or ask a medical supply store for a sitz bath kit - the kind which comes with a water bag you can use like a portable bidet.

Leakage and itching might indicated some sort of infection.  Yeast?  Add a probiotic to your diet?  Use ice for the itching, if possible.

the leakage is from the varicose veins. the fluids are going thru the skin and it feels like discharge. the fluids from the hemorrohoids are stagnant and have no where to go. horse chestnut herb really takes care of the problem. read up on it.

I would really like to know if there was ever a response or solution to this. I have experienced the exact same problems after a hemorridectomy about 1 year ago. I've been trying the topical compounds as well, for 3 months, without improvement.

Did they check for an anal fissure? I have the same problem after THD hemmroid surgery and am currently on 6+ month of cream from the correctal surgeron who performed the surger. Over active nerves? I am trying everything and I used to love to run but now experience internal bleeding when I do. So frustrating. Good luck!

What you're experiencing is, most probably, fecal incontinence. This is because of the inability to control the bowel movement causing stool to leak unexpectedly. There are treatments that can address this kind of rectal disease. You can ask your doctor for the proper medication. 

is horse chestnut herb safe to use? and how often do you take it and for how long do you take it

How do I get rid of anul leakage?