Hello!

I just want to start out by saying what a massive encouragement and useful bank of knowledge these forums have been for me over the last few months. Time for me to return the favor...

Some History: I'm a 23 y/o male who has been suffering with hemorrhoids for about 7 years on and off. The first really memorable encounter with the dreaded 'roids was during my first year of college. I was of course drinking a bit more alcohol eating terribly back then. I just remember straining really hard in the public toilet one night and just feeling something pop out. The pain was excruciating and the damn thing was not going anywhere. After about 24 hours of suffering, I desperately went to an ER and told them, "My ass is broken! Help". The nurse took one good look at my butt and started laughing, saying it was just a hemorrhoid and that I would be fine. She told me to buy some OTC, take some ib proffin and walk it off. This was also a busy Chicago city hospital though, so in the grand scheme of things my hemorrhoids probably seemed quite funny in comparison to all the gun shot wounds she had probably already seen that night. This still did little to appease my still incredible pain though so I promptly got in my car and drove to another hospital 2 hours away in the suburbs for a second opinion, refusing to believe that I was not minutes from death's door via my butt hole. They were much nicer at the second hospital and they wrote me some scripts for prescription strength cream and even some viccodin to take the edge off. Sure enough, about a week later the little b****r got smaller and smaller until it went back from where it came. All was well for a few years until I started to have problems again. Once again, I didn't really take notice until I started prolapsing except this time around I was ready! I limped to the store, grabbed some Preparation H hemorrhoid cream and went to town. Last time around, even with the cream I stayed prolapsed for a few days until it popped back in but this time as soon as I sat down I felt the jolt of my 'roid shooting back into my ass. It seems ridiculous to say now looking back, but I eventually got used to this routine and every time I prolapsed I would grab the cream, sit down and wait for them to go back in. This soon became an everyday occurrence and for a while I managed to deal with this relatively well. I wasn't in too much pain and sure it was a hassle to get up early just to do my weird, poop-wipe-cream-sit -wipe routine I dealt with it fine. I finally had a flare up a few months ago though that really got my attention. I got sick and spent most of my time on the toilet with terrible diarrhea. The result was the worst throbbing, constant pain ever from my hemorrhoids. Desperate for any relief, I found this site and began to educate myself. Within a few hours, I was in a Sitz bath and had a doctors appointment scheduled. I realized (due to this site) that I had stage 3 prolapsing roids and that the last thing I wanted to do was wait for them to get worse. Sure enough, after a shocking anal exam by my GP, it was confirmed and an appointment was made with a general surgeon to discuss rubber banding.  1st procedure: My first appointment with the surgeon was quite the ordeal. There was no real discussion, I was stripped down, prepped, bent over and the next thing I knew I had an incredibly large instrument deep in my ass. The pain was unlike anything else I had ever experienced and that did not get any better as they applied the bands. After about 2 of the longest, most painful minutes of my life the instrument was removed. I immediately felt myself slip into shock like symptoms. I immediately got nauseous, dizzy, hot and sweaty. The surgeon said that I turned white and my lips even went blue. I was given some water, juice and crackers and after 20 or so minutes the feeling passed. I left the office completely physically drained and in still in a great deal of pain in my rear, which I was told would pass in an hour or so. This was most definitely not the case... The next 4 days were spent either in bed or in the tub, never even really finding any true relief from the constant pain/ discomfort. I called the surgeon back the next day and he gave me some hydrocodone, which helped me sleep a little at least but still didn't seem to even come close to eliminating the pain. For the first week, it even hurt to pass gas. It was excruciating. On my follow up visit 2 weeks later, the surgeon said that due to my reaction to the banding, he did not want to do another one (I had 3 roids, the plan was to do 1 at a time) and to be honest I was relieved. That is when he told me about a newer procedure called THD. I was immediately freaked out after reading all the hemroidectimy stories on here, but after explaining how it was relatively pain free and had a quick recovery time; I agreed to give it a shot. 

THD procedure - After some nonsense with my insurance not wanted to cover the procedure (something about not enough post op data, but the surgeon's office worked it out for me eventually) I was finally ready for my big day on 9/4. There were not many pre surgery instructions. I was simply told, don't eat/ drink after midnight. The prep was relatively straightforward. I had some natural anxiety about being placed under general anestisia but next thing I knew, I was waking up in a cramped recovery room with a nasty stinging in my rear. I was in a quite a bit of pain right off the bat and I heard a bunch of nurses mutter something about demoral or something like that before I felt a warm wave of drugs hit me. Still in pain, but hey who cares anymore! I then noticed my right upper lip was swollen. When I asked the nurse she simply said, "Hmm I don't know why" and shrugged it off. The internet thankfully had more answers though and it looks like the tube that was inserted in my throat during general anesthesia must have jammed my lip somehow. No big deal, just weird that the nurse would have never had someone complain about that at a surgical center before. Anyway, I was released very quickly as soon as I was able to pee, which I had no problems with. I was in a great deal of pain the whole ride home and raced for the bathtub as soon as possible for a hot sitz bath. That is pretty much where I stayed for the next 2 days as the pain was excruciating. The only other relief I found besides sitz baths and lying on my stomach were my various pain killer induced naps.

I was told I would be back to normal activity in 48 hours at the hospital, but after reading the posts on here I knew that there was no way that was happening. That being said though, I am day 3 of recovery now and starting to feel much better. I was able to have a very small bm that pushed out some cotton the surgeon had put up in there and the tiny amount of waste I had accumulated over 3 days of eating relatively nothing. I had been dreading having to go, but it actually was not bad at all and the best part? No roids popping out after! I will try to keep posting updates on how I am healing but as of right now I have to say that I wholeheartedly recommend this surgery. Sure you will be moderately to very uncomfortable for the first week or so, but after that you have a lifetime of relief to look forward to. I don't know about you but I would much rather go through a week of pain instead of years of pain/ shame shoving hemorrhoids back into your butt. 

Like I said, I will try to keep updating but in the meantime for anyone considering or about to have a THD procedure done here are a few pro tips I wish I had known going into mine: - Adjust your diet (at least) a week before the surgery. Lots of fiber and water

- Make sure you discuss your after surgery details with your surgeon BEFORE you go into surgery. I didn't do this and was so out of it afterwards that I forgot to ask several important questions

- Grab some Epsom salt for your hot bath, which I recommend you virtually live in for your first 3-4 days. Hot water = instant relief

- You will be given painkillers of some kind and they will constipate you. Take stool softeners and if you don't have a bm by day 3 try using a laxative but remember while on the toilet DON'T PUSH and don't hang around on there too long

- Depending on your pain medication, you may be able to also take Ib proffin as well. I definitely recommend this. After working through A LOT of norco's (powerful pain meds) to no avail, I saw a post on here about Ib proffin. Working in tandom with the norco, taking Ib proffin has virtually cleared up all my pain

- If you can get a prescription for Proctofoam HC. It is a numbing foam only available through prescription that is essentially shot up into the anus for very effective numbing relief. If that is not available, (or even if it is) as for some other sort of prescription strength cream. I've heard good things about Lidocane but I've never used it

- Try to sleep on your side or stomach if possible and also attempt to avoid sitting for long periods of time, as this causes blood to pool in your nether regions, which is the last thing you want post op. 

- Stock up on entertainment before your big day. I grabbed all 5 seasons of Breaking Bad before mine and it worked wonders to keep my mind off the pain and with my laptop, I was even able to watch from the tub!

- Diet wise, try to ease back into things. The first day you will likely not be hungry after the anesthesia anyway but if you are, try some soup or maybe crackers and graduate up to the harder stuff as you start feeling better.    That's all I've got for now. Sorry for the super long post!  Thanks again to all you folks for your wise words and advice on this weird and painful world of hemorrhoids. Remember, it may be a pain in the ass, but at least you're not alone! 

I'm had this procedure Friday I'm in such discomfort and pain it's horrible using pain relievers sitz bath prep h of course trying to go to bathroom I strain and it's worse . Any advise

Try ibuprofen around the clock: 600mg every 6 hours It helps with the rectal cramping/throbbing. Sit in the hot bath, try to self disimpact if you must, BUT don't sit on the toilet straining!  Lay on your stomach, even in the bath.

That's a good summary of your experience - thanks. I had a haemorrhoidectomy 10 days ago. Recovery has been going fairly well I think. I can walk reasonable distances, drive and sit without very much discomfort now. In the last 2 days I no longer need to have 3+ bowel movements a day instead settling into a more normal routine of about 1 per day.

BM's can still be quite uncomfortable and I continue to take laxatives/stool softener as well as being quite careful about what I eat. Sitting in a warm Epsom salt bath after BM's has also been effective for me. It was also useful for me to try to anticipate BM's and take a stronger pain killer before - the first few BM's after surgery was pretty painful as advertised. As you might pick up my life has become almost comically centred around the number, timing and quality of BM's... Fantastic.

It has been a painful 10 days, but not nearly as bad as I expected from some of the horror stories. If my recovery continues on it's current trajectory I'll be back to work next week. If the surgery will result in long term or permanent(?) relief from the severe haemorrhoids that I suffered from it will unquestionably have been worth it for me.

Thanks for taking time to share your valuable experience. Just had mine done and similar experience. Week one. Can't wait to get back to normal.

I had my THD procedure done 2 weeks back. I am a male, 34 and from London, UK. I had level 4 prolapsed haemorrhoids and have been suffering for many years now. My doctor suggested this procedure over others. I am glad I went for this one. On the day of the procedure, I went in at 15:00 and was done by 18:30. I was told that I was in lot of pain and had to increase the dosage of morphine given. It took me another hour or so to come back to normal. I was told they need to see me pee and will accordingly be discharged. It took me a while before I could do so. Since my overnight stay at the hospital was paid for by my insurance, they asked me to stay back to monitor any complications. There was some discomfort all night and less pain (may be due to the morphine). Slept for a few hours. In the morning the surgeon came back to see me and told me in detail about the procedure and that it was quite a big operation due to the nature of my haemorrhoids and also needed extra mucopexy. I was given painkillers, stool softeners and fibre supplements for home and discharged. Felt alright going home. Could walk with little pain. I was told that I will have urgencies for BM & to pee and bleeding due the various veins and nerves being operated on. Recovery- Week 1 This was the tricky part and a painful week ahead. After a few hours at home, I had a BM. Not a lot. Then the bleeding started. It was constantly there. Had to use panty liners. I usually have a very good metabolism and as a result had to go to the toilet 3-4 times a day and didn't want to push very hard. Painful and bleeding. This continued for the first 3-4 days. Also I could feel the operated tags hanging out and painful when cleaning. Showers and baths helped. I couldn't get a lot sleep for the first week and was in discomfort due to the urgencies I felt. I also had problems peeing. I would have to wait for an hour sometime before I could do it. The discomfort and irritation was immense. This continued for a week. Took painkillers and anti-inflammatory but didnt help a lot. Week 2 It got better from week 2. The urgencies were still there. But by now I had learnt to deal with them. Still had BM 3-4 times a day. Less painful. By mid of 2nd week, the bleeding had stopped. Used Sitz baths to calm things down.