I had been a hemorrhoid sufferer for years.  They developed during and after my first pregnancy.  The were aggrevated horribly because it took me 2 1/2 hours to push my 8 1/2 pound baby out.  I just dealt with the discomfort conservatively for 20 years, and then decided it was time to do something about it.

I went to an internal medicine physician who specialized in GI.  I was hoping to have them banded, as I had heard that this was a much less painful way to take care of them.  The physician told me they were anal skin tags...or, in a word, hemorrhoids that had been neglected too long.  One of them was about an inch and a half long.

In the office, under local anesthesia (lidocaine), I had them removed.  The injections of lidocaine were EXCRUCIATING, and I consider myself someone who has a high pain tolerance.  (After all, I had dealt with anal discomfort from hemorrhoids for 20 years.  I sobbed and sobbed until the local anesthetic started working.  He then excised, with a scalpel, the skin tags.  I was given a prescription for Tylenol 3 and told to do Sitz baths (sitting in warm water in bathtub. 

About 30 minutes later, the local anesthetic wore off and oh my goodness, here came the pain!  I went straight home to the tub.

That first night was miserable.  I cried a lot of tears and sat in the bathtub most of the night. 

I ended up having to take 6 days off from work because of continued pain.  Unfortunately, the Tylenol 3 is constipating and that made bowel movements more painful, of course.

It was FIVE weeks before I was pain free.  The area where the larger skin tag was taken off was pretty much pain free at about 3 weeks, but the other one was terribly sore and uncomfortable until the 5 week mark.

I am glad I had it done, but it was a long recovery.  My advise would be to do it in a hospital under sedation, because, again, the local anesthetic going in an already sore area was HORRIBLE.  I would also be more careful about narcotic use, as it is constipating.  Use stool softeners as well.

I hope this helps anyone who is considering the procedure.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the total cost of your visit to have the tag removed?