I would like to say that this is a great forum, I learned more from here than from my doctor. I am a 25 yr old male who suffered from hemorrhoid since teen. Whenever I have a bowel movement my rectum would slightly prolapse and will be uncomfortable for about 20 minutes until it automatically slowly goes back (or I physically push it). Some times, one of this "prolapse" would remain there and form a painful thrombosed hemorrhoid which usually resolve in about a week to 10 days. I do not strain for BMs nor push hard yet my rectum still prolapse and will still get those hemorrhoid. My doctors tell me that the thrombosed hemorrhoids are external.

Last time I decided I am fed up and after reading about THD I thought this is a good option for me. I went to an "experienced" doctor with this procedure (according to him he did about 200 THD operations). At the time of the visit I had a throbmosed hemorrhoid which was in the "shrinking" stage. It was no longer painful. Upon examining me, he said that I have three hemorrhoid. One internal (which I never knew about, as I never had bleeding), one external hemorrhoid and one internal/external hemorrhoid as he called it which is the recently thrombosed one. He recommended the surgery to avoid having the problem and he told me that he can "lift" the rectum as well.

I did the procedure and today is day 8. After the operation he told me every thing went well and he is quite happy with the result. The post operation recovery was very painful and uncomfortable. I have very vigorous spasms (involuntary contractions) during BM's. On day 1 after taking liquid Lactulose, it provoked those spasms and allowed passing some stool but the pain of straining was extreme to say the least. I stopped taking it since then because I thought, my body is forcing those spasms on me anyway. I wasn't sure how bad my constepation was. During the later spasms/BMs I don't pass stool but pass pieces of blood/clots. Some times small pieces of blood coated dark stools are passed. However, I did not have a decent bowel movement until day 6. 

One the first week I did feel what could be a new external thrombosed hemorrhoid forming. When I say my doctor on day 4 he told me that this is not a hemorrhoid but rather a thrombosed hematoma which is supplied by a different network of arteries. He offered to lance it to remove the clot which will help relieve my pain. He did and that was taken care of. He told me that the reason I had it is that I am unlucky.

After that, as my bruise-type pain started to slowly ease, I started feeling like a foreign object is always in my anus. Before the surgery I would say this would have been a stuck stool ready to fall. However, obviously there is no stool. I did not put my finger to feel what is in there.

On day 6, and this is the important part, after getting really uncomfortable because of the constipation I decided to take a tablet laxative called Senokot. That did help with my constepation and allowed me to have a better BM on that day. During the night after a heavy dinner I sensed the urge to go and watched a video on the best position to pass stool while consetpated and applied that which helped in allowing a decent BM that night. However after that BM I felt like a decent size tube is prolapsing from my anus. It was very scary! I looked at the mirror and it was what I think is a new prolapsed internal hemorrhoid.I put my finger in and followed it along to about the second joint of my finger. It feels like a vein tube inside the wall of the rectum running from about 5 cm or more all the way to my anus and protruding. It is a very uncomfortable feeling but because I have been having all types of pain I can't tell when did it form.

This same prloapsed vein was seen forming in the next two BMs about 12 hours apart. Last seen, few minutes a go.

I went to see my doctor the very next day to express my deep worries about this new internal hemmerhoid. He examined me and said he could find any thing. I told him that I see it only after BMs and he told me that he can't find out for sure until he does a full colenscopy. 

However, according to him he does NOT think that this is a new internal hemorrhoid. He thinks that this is a rectal swelling because of the operation. he told me that during the operation he lifted the prolapsed rectum and since I am still recovering this is likely to be a swelling rectum that will ease as I recover down the road and adjust to position. He says he can't confirm any thing until three weeks after the operation or even after by doing full colonscopy. I asked if he is wrong and it is indeed a new internal hemorrhoid how come it formed when he stitched the artery? He assured me that he stitched the main classical artery but told me there is a lot of arteries in the anus and he can't stich them all. It is possible that this one is supplied by different artery.

MY QUESTION is: Should I believe him in thinking that what I am seeing is just a post operation swelling or is it a new internal hemorrhoid that has formed which means this operation has in fact caused a new never existing before hemorrhoid despite?

On the positive side, my pain is easing to mild. The only pain I get is during BM. My other hemorrhoid seem to have "deflated" to a skin tag. It does swell a bit during BM.

P.S since the operation until now I am still bleeding. I see drops of blood every time I have a BM.

Is it possible that we can talk? I am going through exactly what you have gone thorugh. 

***post is edited by moderator *** private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Thanks,

VJ

I am happy to email you. It has been 10 weeks since my operation. I basically developed internal prolapsing hemorrhoid (fourth degree) because of the operation!! I never had it before. My doctor is now calling it an "anal polyp" and not hemorrhoid. As far as I am concerned it is a fluffy skin protruding from inside my anus and never goes back. The only way to remove it is by surgery (excision). In one article I read that polyps are normally benign but can be cancerous!! Either way, sooner or later I will have to get it removed and go through 6 weeks of extreme pain!!

I also developed external thrombosed hemorhoid after the operation which my doctor called "hematoma" and not hemorhoid!

My bowel habits have changed after the operation and I go twice a day now when I used to go once a day or once every two days. My bowel is more active now and I feel my guts movement immediately after I wake up in the morning and I have to rush to the bathroom.

On the bright side beside the three symptoms above my anus no longer protrudes after BM which is plus. 

Hopefull,

I just post my story/question under different thread, one that you also included your surgery story.

In short, my experience is very similar to yours, what I was trying to remove during original surgery came back "with vengeance" and I was told that I probably should learn to live with it. And yes, my doctor is also well known and very experienced.

I did seek second opinion, did some research and choose less experienced doctor foot whom I will not be a "default case". She (this time doctor is female) told me what was done/not done during surgery and informed that what I thought was a petruding hemorrhoid (old doctor TOLD me that it is hemorrhoid) is in fact large, swollen skin tag that she removed during in office procedure. Sounds like you have EXACTKY the same issue.

My point is, look, seek second opinion, I learn that most experienced doctors are not always the best,
I am hoping that my recovery is on the way and I wish you the same.

I am 6 weeks in from operation. Still have bleeding and discomfort with every BM. And I also had blood clots removed which left me with skin tag. It was very hard to keep self clean. Yesterday I had skin tag removed and stitched up. So im dealing with that right now, but this has been a horrible experience. At times I wish I would have never agreed to surgery. Better off to deal with what I have been for a while. This is my second surgery for this issue. Last surgery was the traditional way. Which recovery time was only about 3 weeks. This I think is the worst thing ever to try and deal with.... most painful with all the different nerve endings that run through that area. I havent been to work since jan. 15... supposed to go back next tuesday... really dont know if im ready. But at this point all my sick time is gone. So I really dont have a choice...just gonna have to suffer through it... but come on its been 6 weeks give me a break... this kinda thing really breaks you down mentally after a while. It helps to have people you can talk to...dont shut people out drag them in with you a true friend will listen and try to understand but without actually having issues in that area they will never know what you are going through. But it does help a little to talk about it.

I'm having the same issue with something protruding out of my rectum. I had the thd on tues and now it is sat and I am in extreme pain! Called the dr office twice and they aren't concerned at all because it's not bleeding. I had all internal hemmroid with a skin tag on the outside. Now it looks as tho I have cauliflower butt! I'm not sure what to do next. I haven't not had a BM yet and am very nervous to. I was told this was a simple surgery with fast recovery time. I now have had to take additional time off work because I can't even get out of bed due to the pain!

had thd with mucopexy done exactly two weeks ago. a few days ago, i noticed my bum hurt worse and had prolapse almost as bad as before. i noticed what appears to be a new internal hemorrhoid that looks raw and red at the end (maybe this is one that had been stitched up?) and a couple smaller external hemorrhoids that had never been there before. i've stayed away from straining, taking the exact amount of laxatives and fiber as recommended (there was only one incidence of straining and my bum looked and felt exactly as it had prior to this new incidence). i have a follow up appt in two weeks since my doctor is out of the office until then. i have been in panic mode for the past few days and though my doctor says this is a normal part of the healing process, i don't understand how it could have happened overnight from neat and tidy to worse than before. can anyone give me any advice or hope that this will get better?

Hi I recently had the THD surgery it's now been 1 month and I've had failure in one of the hemorrhoids, supposedly according to the doctor the stitches has failed which caused a lot of bleeding. And then on last night doing a BM, it appears that another stitching has failed with a lot more blood during a BM. At first I was very happy with the procedure, there was very little discomfort and very little pain, and no signs of any hemorrhoids but now I'm a little worried and trying to understand what is taking place within my body.

I had thd surgery on Monday, its now Friday. It's far from what I was told it would be like. I can't stand for any longer than a few mins, sitting up straight is also painful, but when I have a BM I feel like something is coming down my vagina and pressing on my pubic bone. Passing urine was Ok until until my first BM which was on day 2, now I fine it very differcult to empty my bladder. Would love to hear from anyone who has similar experience xx

I had THD mucoprexy surgery 10 days ago it's the second time I've had in in a year I had four internal prolapsed hems stage 4 I have to say this time the pain has been unbearable I've honest never felt pain like it. My bowels movements have been very regular I take movacol everyday which keeps it soft but still going is painfull and like above feel as though my vagina is hurting I have had however a few bleeds should this still be happening 10 post op I do feel the pain will never go away if it doesn't work this time I'll learn to live with it never again

Hey, Hopefull. I just had THD a week ago and now I'm experiencing what you described in this thread. How are you doing now?

Well I had my surgery on Tues and it’s now Saturday. I have been so up and down I can’t beliece it :(
I was in so much pain when I came round from the GA, I was crying. I had Codeine which helped. I had a wee and was sent home. Stayed in bed all afternoon ( morning app) and then stayed in bed Wed. I was supposed to stay off work (sick note) till Monday but I didn’t want to explain and so used the op as a holiday and the next day as a sick day. So back to work Thurs. I did 8-2.30 and I was dying. I couldn’t sit straight on my chair. Got home, had a BM (1st one) had a bath and got into bed. Stayed there till Friday am. Then work again. Half day, 8.30-12.45. I managed. I felt I’d turned a corner! Had another BM, little bit of bleeding, to be expected.
To today, Saturday. Feel like I’m dying. Keep having the urge for the loo. So much pain every time I disturb things down there. I’ve had 3 baths today (by bath, I mean no bubble/soap clear water) I had codeine first thing as I felt so rough. It’s evening now and I’ve just taken paracetamol. Starting to feel slightly better.
It looked good down there after surgery, however, I now seem to have hard skin on the outside that’s like a skin tag. It’s raw. I think it’s solely that that gives me ALL the pain! I had 2 skin tags and those were fixed along with some internal fellas. I think I will need a second round, they said I might at the initial appointment. If I do, I’m being knocked out for a whole week!!!! I hope it works and is worth it

I went through all of this a little over 5 years ago, when THD was very new. I had the procedure for 3 very large prolapsing internal hemorrhoids I'd had for about 5 years at that point. I'd have to push them in after a BM, lots of pain and blood when they'd thrombose and burst, same as a lot of you. It really sucked. My social life went down the tubes as I had to make sure I was never more than a few feet away from a bathtub and a toilet.

Same post op pain experience. 48 hours and you're back at work, yeah right! I was in quite a bit of pain for about a week. About 2 weeks after the procedure after being completely (I thought) cured, all of a sudden after a BM, there was a prolapsed hemorrhoid, even bigger than before. This user described it perfectly:

" i noticed what appears to be a new internal hemorrhoid that looks raw and red at the end (maybe this is one that had been stitched up?)"

So after that whole ordeal I went back to my surgeon who said you can either have the much more painful hemmroidectamy or you can live with it. I've been living with it for the last 5 years as best I can but I have finally had enough of the pain/ blood again, and I'm going in to speak to a surgeon in a week about a traditional hemmroidectamy. They've basically just been thrombosed for almost a year now, which makes BM's walking around, sitting, unbearable, even when they are pushed back in. It's caused me to lose almost 40 lbs weight (was probably about 10 lbs overweight and now am way under) so it's become clear I have no other option.

My advice to anyone considering a THD, don't do it. Just be brave and do the real hemmroidectamy. It hurts a lot worse but they will be gone and will never come back. I'm convinced that THD is not an effective treatment for larger, stage 3 and up hemorrhoids, especially when there are lots present.