Hi there,

Recently, I have been noticing, on a more or less regular basis, blood on my toilet paper as I would wipe. My stools are usually soft and sometimes hard. Sometimes there would be more blood than usual. For the last few days, there have only been spots. However, tonight, right before taking a shower, I had fairly painful feeling around my anus and decided to check what it was in the mirror. To my surprise, there was a lump a little less than a centimetre long and around half a centimetre wide right next to my anus. It hurts when I sit, lie down, or do anything at all. It is literally a "pain in the ass."

My father's family, according to him, has a tendency of developing hemorrhoids; it runs in the family.

1. Does what I have sound like a hemorrhoid?
2. Should I seek medical attention or use something like Preparation H or other treatments (sitz baths, etc.)?
3. Is having a hemorrhoid at 17 years of age unusual?

Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated. :-)

This sounds just like an external hemorrhoid. These cause itching, burning and irritation. It's also not uncommon for you to find blood after having a bowel movement. Also, people can get hemorrhoids at any age, so you're fine.

If you'd like to treat this condition, try sitting in a warm bath several times a day and gradually increase fiber in your diet.

Thanks a lot. I will try following your suggestions. :-)

Yes, it is possible to have hemorrhoids at 17. Nothing to be surprised about it. There are so many things that you can do for hemorrhoids relief. If you are prone to this, you should do next things as well that can help you:

-  you should definitely put your feet on a small stool during bowel movements to change the position of your rectum. It is going to be much easier and less painful.

- Also, you should try to keep your anal area clean. Beside those regular showers, and use moist wipes to clean the area around your anus after you pass a bowel movement. Maybe it seems gross for you, but trust me - it has a good effect. 

Guest, I suffer the same.. I'm 17 too.. Is it better now?

Also 17, how are you guys feeling now? I believe I have one too.

ayy 17 too and same

same with me

Same with me lads its not very fun at all

Even i got one i am also 17
I dont know what to do next

i am scared

why so many 17 yr olds have hemorrhoids wth thought this was an old guy issue dam also same

Same and I'm 17 too. I'm so damn scared I don't want to go for inspection type thing I don't want to have it examined but it's getting worse and idkkkkk I skssksjhzjzka

Hahahahahhahaha damn man mee too

17 and the Same i have one too xc