Hello! My doctor prescribed Flagyl (Metronidazole) since he diagnosed gynecologic infection called endo-metritis. He told me to call him if I feel headache, nausea, vomiting or abdominal cramping. He also told me I should avoid alcoholic beverages while taking this medicine. Also, he said I should take this medicine exactly as he directed. It seems this is very serious medicine. The problem is I have a toothache at the moment but I am afraid to take ibuprofen. What if some adverse reaction occurs? Does ibuprofen go with metronidazole?

Hello! It is nice to hear how well your doctor explained almost everything important you should know while taking metronidazole. I think every medicine is “serious” and there are always some side effects that may occur. But, I think one tablet of ibuprofen for your toothache will create no problems. Longer use of these two medicines could create increased gastrointestinal problems since the most common adverse reaction to both drugs are gastrointestinal, such as nausea, epi-gastric distress, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal cramping. Combination of these two medicines may increase the already existing risk.

You can take ibuprofen as long as your Dr advise you too. I had tooth extraction and he gave me prescription for ibuprofen 500 mg which help the pain, it did make me sleepy drink plenty of water. I know it's to later but maybe other reader like me are looking for updated information. Hope you feel better