I took flucanozole (1 capsule of diflucan) and metronidazole (flagystatin) suppository (7 nights) last december 11 to december 18. On the 21st to the 24th, I had unprotected sex. Based on my calcualtions, I should have had my period on the 27th, but it did not arrive. On the 31st, I took a urine pregnancy test, and it came back negative. Until now, january 6, i still haven't had my period. My breasts feel heavy and I have occasional cramps. Is the missed period because of the medications I took or is it possible that I'm pregnant?

hi.....i am experiencing the same thing right now...
so how's ur menstrual cycle now??
i duno wat to do。。。
my breats feel very heavy and my periods not come after i took those medication...
may i know what shuld do???
can u help me with tis?

i realy wish to know isit the effect of metronidazole and fluconazole???
can any1 tell me please???

It sounds to me like you might not be having a good reaction to the medication. Are you able to see a doctor about it? I would recommend that.

i couldnt see my gynecologist who prescribed me the medication....
as i m abroad now...
sobz sobz!~~

I got diagnosed with C.Diff. A bacteria in my intestines that created horrible 'twisting' pain, I was unable to eat and this lasted for almost 2 yrs...I couldn't eat anything without having severe pain in my stomach. Luckily after the 2nd doctor he tested me and found this out. I am a healthy (I go to the gym 4-5 times a week) 21 yr old woman and althought these pills 'cured' my intestines HOWEVER!! I was put on this antibiotic Metrodinazole (generic for Flagyl) I had almost every side effect off of this drug, including some (esp for females) that weren't listed! I would wake up with the driest mouth and taste of pennies, I would get horrible dizzy spells and have to just sit and close my eyes till they went away. I actually got horribly sick, (I thought it was the flu, but turned out not to be) cause that horrible cold lasted only a day and a half, and the discoloration they mention of urine associated with these pills was beyond inaccurate for me, my urine was black at one point. I was on these pills for 14 LONG days. I had to take 500mg 3x a day. I wound up not eating for days, because my appetite was completely gone, and worst of them all...My period was 6 days late. I have such a routine menstrual cycle my girl friends hate me. On the 24th of every single month (regardless of having sex too close to that date, cause that sometimes messes the day up for women) I get my period. The 24th came and went. I finally finished these HORRIBLE yet I must say beneficial pills on the 27th. I got my period instantly the 30th. If you have taken pregnancy tests (like I did) and were negative (I actually took 3) and you took these pills prior to getting your period, I am so sure these pills effect women's cycles. . I even called my doctor/gastroenterologist and he works in a building with a gyno and the gyno said "Hmmm..it shouldn't." Well, it does! Do not worry! Do not stress!! These pills I have found out are so strong and are designed to rid the body of bacteria not only in the intestines, but the stomach and vagina as well. Anytime a person(esp a female) goes on an antibiotic it unbalances your normal PH levels and sets systems off kilter. If all other options (being pregnant, normal stresses in life, health issues aren't an issue {you don't have underlying menstrual problems and your period is fairly common}) these pills could and are probably the culprit! It was for me!!!!!!! And I can NOT WAIT to give my doctor a piece of mind for not telling me any of these side effects!!!

i am having the same problem. but were you pregnant?

where you pregnant?
im experiencing the same thing!

Thank you "here to help" for your response! I have look all over the website for the reasons why my period has not arrived ever since I have taken the metronidazole pills for just only 4 days. From a few reads, I discovered that women taking metronidazole have similar side effects. I have taken a pregnancy test twice after I was 3 days late and the results have been all negative! I believe the FDA should modify the symptoms list and add that IT DOES EFFECT the women's menstrual cycle and the fact doctor's don't know about these changes clearly means they are not up to date with the medication they prescribed.

did anyone ever get their period or were pregnant? I am 7 days late after taking Flagyl do not feel any pregnancy symptoms, also took two test both were negative. I called my OBGYN he said metronidazole should not interfere with your menstrual cycle. If by this coming weds I don't get it to go see him. if anyone got their issue resolve pls advice.
thank you.

~D

My dentist precribed this antibiotic for me after a root canal.  My periods have been regular almost to the day for over 20 years and while on this medicatin, my period is not almost a week late.  I know I'm not pregnant, but I feel for all the girls this has happened to that may be worried; I think this side affect should be added to the list.  I'm certain it's this medication that is the cause.

OMG this is happening to me right now! I was on these meds for a week and was supposed to start my menstrual cycle yesterday. I took a pregnancy test today and it was negative. I've been feeling like I'm going to start with cramps here and there but nothing has happened

hi ,hows the result now?i took flagyl for one week last jan 5-12,and i should have my period on jan 20, but til now jan 27 i don’t have my period. i took the pregnancy test but its negative..as far as i know we have protected/safe sex…i hope its due to flagyl..

I can't believe these pills are the reason for my missed period. .here I am so damn worried n even cried cuz I was on z flagyl 400mg tablet n I've missed my period which was suppose to come from z 4th of march n up until now it still hasn't arrived n today's z 12th every second I'm getting cramps n feeling weak..I've already taken 2 pregnancy test n they both showed negative n I was planning to take another today or go back to s doctor. ..

I took Flagyl for 14 days for C-Diff. I am always on time with my cycles, I was 4 days late when I took 2 home tests that were both positive. I had a blood test that came back negative and after I finished the Flagyl have taken another urine test that was also negative and did finally start my cycle. So yes, absolutely, the Flagyl does interrupt your menstrual cycle. Even if you get a positive urine test, don't panic until you have a blood test. The Flagyl also has side effects that mimic pregnancy symptoms. I threw up every morning for a week so I was sure when that first test was positive that I was pregnant but I am not. But the only way our doctors can report tthese side effects is if we tell them! Give your doctors a call!