I have a friend who started to use hydromorph contin few weeks ago. He told me his doctor prescribed this drug to him, but I started to doubt. I found out hydromorph contin has similar effects as morphine, so I started to be worried. Can you tell me if that is possible, his doctor really prescribed this medicine to him? Why is this medicine used for, and is it similar to morphine as I think it is.

Hydromorph contin is semi-synthetic opioid agonist, a hydrogenated ketone of morphine. This drug shares the pharmacologic properties typical of opioid analgesics, such as morphine is. Hydromorph contin and related opioids produce their major effects on the central nervous system and gastrointestinal tract. These effects include analgesia, drowsiness, mental clouding, changes in mood, euphoria or dysphoria, and respiratory depression. Some patients report cough suppression, decreased gastrointestinal motility, nausea, vomiting, and increased parasympathetic activity. The relationship between plasma concentration of hydromorph contin and analgesic effect has not been well established yet. In patients with chronic pain, hydromorph contin should be titrated to the dose required to relieve pain adequately, without unmanageable side effects. There is no intrinsic limit to the analgesic effect of hydromorphone, and like morphine, adequate doses will relieve even the most severe pain in patients who are taking hydromorph contin. Clinically, dosage limitations are imposed by the adverse effects, primarily respiratory depression, nausea and vomiting, which can result from high doses.

Hydromorph Contin averages 7 to 11 times the strength and potency of morphine and it is used to control pain in a long acting 12 hour dose.

If he is experiencing extreme pain then it is a simple and easy to use pain killer that has very strong results, but it can be addictive.

A starter dose really depends on the patient's weight and age but for example I had a broken kneecap and they started me on 6mg 2x a day and it gave me a run for my money for the first couple of days till I got used to it.

It is a drug that has no ceiling for dosages and as the patient gets acclimated to it the dosages are increased.

Warning signs can be looked up under drug seeking habits or if you notice that he is taking it more often that every 12 hours as the online litrature, my pharmacist and my doctor say that the makers strongly advise against this.