Recently I had a urinary tract infection and was proscribed a Flagyl. This drug has helped me a lot. I would like to know more about it. I had no side-effects so I am wondering if there are any caused by this drug?

Flagyl is an antibacterial drug prescribed for certain vaginal and urinary tract infections in men and women. Also, it is being proscribed for infections of the abdomen, skin, bones and joints, lungs, brain, and heart caused by certain bacteria. Two serious side effects that have occurred with Flagyl are seizures and numbness or tingling in the arms, legs, hands, and feet and if you experience either of these symptoms, call your doctor and stop taking the medication. It is important not to drink alcohol while taking Flagyl. I suppose you already know this because drinking alcohol while taking any drug is prohibited. The combination of Flagyl and alcohol can cause abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, headaches and flushing. You should also wait for 72 hours before drinking alcoholic beverages. Flagyl should not be used to treat vaginal infections during the first three months of pregnancy. l If you have ever had an allergic reaction or are sensitive to metronidazole or similar drugs, do not take Flagyl.