I have a friend who complains all the time about his huge problem. I realized there is something wrong with his locomotors system, which is why I asked him what is going on. Now he told me he has iliotibial band-fraction syndrome. I feel like he did not tell me anything because still I cannot understand absolutely anything. Can you tell me what iliotibial band-friction syndrome is?

Iliotibial band-fraction syndrome is a condition characterized by pain localized over the lateral femoral epicondyle. This pain usually occurs during vigorous walking, hiking or running. The pain could be relieved by rest and by walking with the knee held in full extension. However, when ambulation and knee flexion are resumed, symptoms return to those patients who suffer of iliotibial band-fraction syndrome. The iliotibial band is a tendinous extension of the fascia covering the gluteus maximus and tensor of fascia latae muscles proximally. It descends distally to attach to the lateral condyle of the tibia, but it also sends fibers to the lateral aspect of the patella. This problem with ileotibial band-fraction syndrome is the linkage between the pelvis, upper leg, and lower leg. The knee goes from flexion to extension and excessive pressure from this disease causes friction over the lateral femoral epicondyle. This repeated motion produces inflammation of the underlying structures and causes pain, which must be something that your friend complained. The most common symptoms are pain localized over lateral femoral condyle, discomfort initially relieved by rest, and pain that might radiate toward the lateral joint line and proximal tibia.