This just started today. It is not relieved by rubbing it, changing positions, or exercise.

I wore the leg cuffs that squeeze/inflate and release for I guess about an hour after surgery. They had the pump on them and they were operational while I was in recovery, but the pump didn't come upstairs with me.

I saw my regular MD today (not my surgeon) and he looked at my incisions and changed my steristrips and seemed to think I'm doing very well after surgery. I didn't mention this because I thought I was being silly.

But this has persisted and of course I'm worried about a blood clot.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

I had the same problem only in my right leg. It started with my knee being numb the day after surgery which was at the end of July. I called the surgeon and he said it wasn't from the surgery but possibly from the way I was sleeping. Two and a half weeks later I was getting a burning shooting pain from my thigh to my knee when I slept and walked on it. I had my 3 week check up and again he said it was probably from the way I was positioned on the table or sleeping. He told me to take 800mg motrin and to see my primary doctor. I went to my primary doctor the next day and she said it was shingles before the rash started. I took steriods and an antiviral medication which helped the pain but not the numbness and occasionally it still feels sore. I am not convinced that it was shingles. I was talking to a gastro doctor who said he would like to check it out further, that it is possible something is pressing on a nerve causing the numbness. He suggested a colonoscopy, pelvic exam, ct scan to rule out other possibilities and if everything came back normal he said to see a neurologist. I am going to wait it out a bit because I am doctored out. I would suggest mentioning it to you primary doctor. At least they can find out what is causing it and treat it. Good luck and let me know what your doctor tells you. Feel better!

[I have the same problem with my right thigh... and I have seen a few doctors for the numbness and shooting pain... My primary DR. prescribed naproxin and muscle relaxers... but that doesnt help... I still get the shooting pain and still feel the numbness... My right thigh has been like this for two months now... I went to a chiropractor and he said I might have a pinched nerve in my back... I went to another DR. and she said the meds are right for my pain , but wants me to have back x-rays taken and to see an neurologist... So that is my next step... Is there anyone out there that has experienced this and was treated correctly and the pain went away?? please answer back and let me know thanks! KLS

I had a microdisectomy 11/25/2008 on L3-L4 land before the surgery the Dr told me it was possible that I would have some nerve pain after surgery. I did in my left inner thigh but the day after surgery it was in a small area of the inner thigh (being on pain meds) I thought it was minor and he discharged me but said the pain could last 3 to 9 months. My pain with all the other sensations have been excrutiating. Sensations like stabbing pain, tingling, electrifying pain, like someone takes a rubber band and tightens it as much as possibe just above my knee and then releases it, the skin is so sensitive to touch on the top part of my thigh I want to rip my clothes off so they don't touch my thigh. I have burning and it feels like a big hard baseball just above my knee toward the inner part of the thigh. I can get pain in my hip, groin and a pain form the top part of the inner thigh and runs a path to my knee and a pain in the back of my knee. That feels like a nerve. Pain meds did not help, laying down in bed is best relief. Started Physical therapy with a little releif and exercises to do at home and walking if that doesn't give me alot of pain which does and doesn't, depends upon the day. My legs jump at night off and on. I am now on a nerve pain pill Neurotin which I am not fond of taking but I need something to allow me to function so I can work and be halfway comfortable. The therapist said that usually after 6-8 weeks with this type of surgery you usually see some relief and no more than 3 months. She felt after 3 months was of much concern. What nerve is thie pain and sensations being caused from is what I want to know because from what I read none of this is from siatica nerve pain and that is the pain I thought the surgeon meant. I had surgery in Kansas (Iwas visiting with my daughter and I live in Florida and called a neurosurgeon on my plan to see if he would take me if I needed to see a Doctor and they told me to go back to the one that did the surgery which is impossible for me to do. The medical profession has become so kind. I also am not fond of the medication I am on nor do I like taking pain meds in the first place.

Any answeres or suggestions????????

I have the exact same thing. I just had my gallbladder removed, and a day or so after surgery, I felt a tingling/numbing sensation on the outer side of my left thigh. It gets so bad sometimes that I can't even sleep. It wakes me up and I have to get up to walk. Walking and moving helps a bit, but it still burns and tingles. My surgeon says it's not related to the surgery, and my general doctor prescribed my some steroids to decrease the inflammation, but they didn't work. Did kimonthejourney every figure out what was wrong? It sounds like we have a very similar situation.

So, i'm not crazy! I think these surgeons are full of it when they say this is not happening from surgery. It is called "cover your a**". I had my right ovary removed 3 weeks ago and when I came home from surgery I noticed that my right thigh felt completely dead. I could still walk okay and the muscle seemed to be working okay. I called my surgeon the next day and was told it would go away in a day or so. After 1 week I panicked and they had me to come in the office. They told me the numbness was probably nerve damage from my positioning on the operating table, or from the sturups. She said that if the feeling didn't come back within 6 weeks it probably never will! At that point I would have to see a nuerologist. I got so depressed that I was completely crazy. I am 38 years old and I have had a bilateral mastectomy for breast cancer, which resulted in lyphedema so severe in my right arm that I feel completely deformed. Now this numbness, pain, burning, and swelling in my leg seems like it could have been prevented, or they could just tell me the truth. I am feeling better mentally this week, I just pray this resolves itself. Does anyone know anything else about this? Does it really go away?

Take heart - my issue did go away.

I was told it was related to where they position - and ground - the cautery instrument that zaps blood vessels during surgery.

It took maybe a year for it to completely dissapear, but it did.

Good luck with your healing and recovery.

I am a 27 year old female and I had surgery Feb. 9th 2009 to remove a 22cm TERATOMA DERMOID AND MY LEFT OVARY. Before the surgery once in a while I would get a mild numbness for a few minutes in the top and outside of my LEFT THIGH, but I could sit and lean to the right and it would go away, just like that. My surgeon said that it would go away after the surgery!!! Well here I 2 days away from 5 weeks and my leg has went from once in a while to constant. In the morning it isn't as bad, I mean I can deal with it as long as I don't bump it or do anything eccessive. But come around 3 or 4 o'clock in the afternoon the pain gets excrutiating, 10 times worse than child birth. Last night was really bad. I went to the ER because my doctor was concerned that may have a blood clot because on 3-3 we noticed my thigh was starting to swell. So the Dr at the ER ordered the ultrasound to check for blood clots and found nothing. He also did XRAYS to see if there was any problem in my back. Once again NOTHING!! So he says I have NEUROPATHY of the LEFT LEG!!! :idea: So I researched it and YES this can be caused by a tumor compressing the nerves to your leg. Now I have to see a NUEROLOGIST to see how bad the damage is. See come to find out my old Dr found the tumor 11-2000 and didn't tell us. Not even when he told us we were pregnant...So needless to say we know that mine went from 1cm to 22cm in 8 years... I could feel mine in December and it grew 5cm from 1-28-09 til 2-9-09. :!: Anyhow, have any of you been told that you have NEUROPATHY? I have found that a soft ice pack does help somewhat, especially at night!!!!Hopefully we find out what is going on, Please keep us all posted on what each of you find out.

Thanks,
KIMT

Wow I'm so lucky I googled " Numb Thigh After Surgery" I'm going through the same thing after Laparoscopic surgery I had just 5 days ago.

At this stage I think it has been caused by a pain relief injection I had (normally given in the rear but since I couldn't roll over - due to the cuts - it was injected in my upper right thigh) I have a few pin holes around this area but there is one spot on in the numb area.

My outter upper Right thigh is 100% numb expect the sudden stabbing pain that shoots out of the area - mostly when I'm resting in bed. Hot & cold packs, deep heat and massage are not solving anything. My doctor is getting back to me but it seems a nerve was pinched when this injection was given.

will keep you posted.

Meralgia parasthetica, a condition involving compression of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve, results in paresthesia, or tingling, numbness, and burning pain in the outer side of the thigh. Meraglia paresthetica has traditionally affected men more than women. The condition is not rare, but its overall prevalence is unknown. Meralgia paresthetica may occur after abdominal surgery or significant weight gain, in military members who often march, soccer players, or for no apparent reason in the general population. Other nerve compression maladies such as carpal tunnel syndrome can be quite common.

I think the above description is the answer. I developed this within a couple of days after laproscopic gallbladder removal also. I am very sorry to report that this was in May of 1991 and I still suffer with this today. I acknowledge that I have gained weight (walking became painful - sitting around became easy) and that has made the problem worse. I alerted my surgeon to this at my follow up appointment and he looked at me like I had two heads and assured me it had nothing to do with the surgery. I was young and dumb and I should have insisted, but I just let it go on. Now - I keep thinking that no doctor is going to try to help with this unless I lose the weight - and if I am on my feet (especially standing in one place) but also walking, I am in misery - serious burning pain and numbness. Only sitting back down makes it stop. Forget anti-inflamatory drugs - they don't help.

So the moral of this story is - if this is what has happened to you, it may go away on its own - but then again, it might not. Please do not let your doctors tell you that it cannot possibly be from the surgery - oh yes - it can. Be persistent or you might end up walking and exercising less and gaining weight, making the problem worse. --- It won't kill you - but eighteen years later, I sure wish I would have demanded an answer and treatment then.

So do some research on Meralgia Parasthetica - there are treatments and information out there.

Good Luck and be INSISTENT! Don't let them tell you that this could not have happened during surgery.

I have the same problem, except BEFORE surgery of my right arm, I was getting the numbness and pain in my left thigh very occassionally since the car accident I was in. I told a doctor before hand and they chaulked it up to a disc problem in my lower back and everything will be dealt with at it's own time. Well, now, 5 days after surgery, it's now in both thighs, worse at night, closer to 5 or 6 am, and feels numb all the time. The burning is killing me. Has anyone considered it being a nerve issue in your spine triggered, perhaps, from positioning on the OR table? I also notice everyones posts were some time ago... How did everyone fare up?

I had laproscopic gallbladder surgery in November 2006. It was an emergency surgery, surgeon said worse he had ever seen, very infected, they thought they had cut the bile duct, just a mess. I was in hospital for 5 days. The compression stockings were left on in recovery for quite some time, to the point that I ripped them off as the pain was unbearable. Immediately upon coming home I had numbness and tingling on the top of my right foot. I couldn't bear anything to touch it. Even the slightest brush of the sheet was painful. I mentioned this to my surgeon and he said it couldn't be from the surgery and to talk to my family doctor. Went and had testing doctor came up with B12 and D deficiecy. Now taking supplements. I now have numbness and tingling in both legs and arms (worse in the morning) foot feels a little better (or I have just learned to live with the different sensation). Saw neurologist and had nerve conduction study which came up normal. I am so convinced that this is somehow related to the surgery, as it started immediately after. I need to go and be re-tested to see if the B12 and D levels are better. My arms and legs are constantly numb and tingling, worse in the morning...I am so scared...it does not seem to be getting any better, I have searched and searched for what this could be. I am 40 and feel 80 :-(
Please let me know if you have any idea as to what this could be!! :'(

I had my surgery 5 days ago to remove my gallbladder. Since then my left thigh has been numb. I get a burning sensation in the veins in this area when I try to sleep. I plan on telling my regular doctor after I talk to my surgeon this following Monday. However I was having second thought about telling my surgeon about this because to be quite frank he is a complete ass who thinks he can do no wrong. However seeing all of these replies I will be sure to bring it up.

I had a very similar problem, and this is what worked for me! I was scared to death because after my apendix was taken out both my legs started going a little numb from the knees down. It got so bad after about 2 months I thought I was going paralyzed! I told the doctor about the problem and he said that is not a complication from surgery, and to see my primary doctor. My dad kept telling me that the nerves in my legs are nowhere near where they cut for an appendectomy and I agreed. But I didn't start to feel the numbness in my legs until after the surgery. Well then I thought maybe something got thrown out in my back while in the hospital that would be pinching a nerve? So I don't know if any of you have heard of Dr Jack Stockwell ( SLC UT) or not? He is a unique kind of chiropractor that I go to sometimes who does what is called NUCCA. It has to do with aligning the floating veribrae in your neck. I go to his office but I actually don't see him I see a Dr Dawson (who is amazing). Well I knew it could be a long shot, but I went in with faith that this would work and solve my problem. I explained to him what was going on and he said that it was probably from when I was under and they were throwing me around form table to table something probably got thrown out. Well he did the adjustment and I started feeling a little feeling in my toes! I started crying because I had been so emotional the last few weeks, scared to death that I was going to be paralyzed. The feeling didn't come all the way back but I figured it took about 2 months to become that numb it may take some time to get back to normal. Well the last few days I have been getting more and more feeling everyday. I CAN SPEED WALK AGAIN!! Which really is a huge deal. Still not 100 % better but getting there :-)

My 14 year old daughter had emergency surgery to remove her appendix. Well they didn't realize that it had leaking into her abdomin, which in turn caused an abscess. They went back in and left in a drain tube for 4 days, which they removed before sending her home with a PICC line for IV antibiotics. Several days later back to the hospital since her white blood cell count shot up. My daughter for almost 17 days was on heavy doses of Dilaudid, therefore she wasn't feeling anything at that time. When they stopped giving her the Dilaudid she started to complain of leg pain from her knees down to her ankles. After severals days the pain was only in the left leg which is the side that the drain tube was inserted. The pain is so bad that it wakes her out of a dead sleep. I am hoping that since she's young that her body will adjust itself back to normal after she becomes active again. If this pain continues I am fearful that she will become dependant on heavy pain killers just to be able to sleep at night. After this experience my faith in doctors is very limited. :'(