Hello! I had a lateral release 2 1/2 weeks ago as well as chondroplasty of the lateral femoral condyle, microfracture and debridement of the patella. Post-op I had severe swelling. Three days after surgery I went to PT and the Doctor tried to aspirate my knee but it had already clotted. I had severe bruising of my posterior thigh in a complete band from above the knee to the upper portion of it in a dark blue color. My calf was also bruised and sore. I started applying an herb, arnica, and taking arnica tabs. This has helped with the bruising and swelling, but I am still very swollen. The PT said she never saw a knee this bad. I had a ultrasound for a DVT but it was negative. Do you know how long I can expect the swelling to continue? It has gone down significantly but is still severe especially in the Baker's cyst and lateral to the knee cap. I can only flex to 110 deg and have -10 deg extension due to swelling. My pain is ok, mostly stiff and swollen.

You had a lot of work done so I would expect swelling. You should ice as much as possible and keep your leg up. I hope you are not weight bearing for at least 6 weeks more like 8. I have microfracture coming up but have been through 3 surgeries so I know how to recover. Keep me posted, I will check back on you.

Hi! I also had a lateral release, chondroplasty of the lateral femoral condyle, microfracture and debridement of patella. That was almost 7 months ago, my pain was minimal for a couple of months. Now i have same pain i did before my op. Pain going up and down stairs, pain squating or kneeling, cant possibly run although i would love to. I have also developed growing pain type of pain at night time.

I am only 27 and want to go back to all the sport i used to enjoy, which seems like a lifetime ago when i was able to take part.

Anyone have any suggestions on where i go from here???

Thanks.

I had a chondroplasty at 36 after a ski injury (about a year and a half afterwords - tried plenty of physio first) but still had pain and limited functionality afterwords. I then had a debridement about 18 months after the chondro and have spent the past 18 months still in regular pain even after doing a lot of exercise to build up the quads etc.

Be careful what you eat - I am now 40 lbs heavier than the day of the accident - limited cardio ability (due to knee pain - running again is a distant dream) together with a bit of depression eating has made it all the harder to move onwards.

Argue long and hard with your doctor - it's nearly 5 years since I have run and it is 5 years of daily pain.

I had a lateral release and chrondroplasty 1 1/2 weeks ago. The doctor told me to keep it wrapped in an ace bandage, elevated and iced. He did not give me crutches or tell me not to bear weight on it. He did tell me not to "exercise" until after I start physical therapy next week. Am I not supposed to be bearing weight on this? I have minimal swelling but I have noticed that if I am up and about it hurts and swells so I have to go and rest. What is the expected recovery time for this? I was only expecting to have the lateral release done when I went in for the surgery so these questions did not get answered.

I had a latteral release just over a year ago (Dec 08). Imediately after the operation I made a very speedy recovery, being off crutches within a week and a half and walking without a limp just after two and a half weeks. I started doing sports again by easter. However, by the beginning of May I was beginning to notice a niggling pain that since then has become a constant ache and pain. I now find it hard to run and play sports, but I do. The pain is mostly centred around the top of my knee cap but also hurts down the centre of my joint. Has anyone else had these issues following the lateral release? If so, does it still affect you and if not, how did you overcome the injury?

i had lateral release on 9/24/10. they removed scar tissue. put knee back on track. smoothed out underside of knee cap and built up tissue on other side of knee cap. knee is very stiff. in p.t. 3x week. do exercises at home 2x a day and ice. i am still on crutches, my quad muscle is too weak yet to be off crutches. has anyone experienced severe quad atrophy after this surgery, how long were you on the crutches or able to go back to work? i thought by now i would be using the cane and be able to return to work. the knee swells up thru the day and is hard to sleep with at night, seems to be more bother some when you are trying to sleep. i had severe patella tracking disorder since last november, so my leg was very dibiliated even though i tried to exercise it.

Hi, on March 30, 2011 I had a lateral release, chrondroplasty of the left femoral condyle, and debridement of the patella.  I am non-weight bearing for 6 weeks then I will have PT for about 6-8 weeks.  This is the first surgery that I have had on my knee and I am hoping for a full recovery.  After reading some of the stories that others have written I am a little nervous about the recovery now.