I have been experience numbness on the side of my left knee for the last 6 months. It's an area about 4" in diamater

I have the same numbness on the outside of my left knee and was wondering wha it could be? Any ideas?

I too have numbness on the outside of my left knee. It's concentrated in the "soft spot" slightly below and to the left of my knee cap. I've had it off and on for several years. Just wondering.

Oh, wow! I'm not the only one with the same exact symptom. Before the numbness, though I had a sharp needle like pain at that site whenever I put weight on the knee (such as kneeling). That finally went away and the numbness stayed. Now over 6 months later the side of my heel has a numbness too. Go figure....are they related or what?

I wonder if we'll get an answer. I never got one from my doctor when I complained about the sharp pain and numbness. But it was xrayed to be sure nothing was completely out of whack.

Hmmm....

I also started getting a numbness on the outside of my left knee. It was proceeded by a sharp pain in the same area for several weeks before the numbness occured. I have also been experiencing a numbness in the first joint of my left middle finger. Any ideas?

If you look at a schematic of the nerve pathways from the lower spine you'll see that a specific branch goes to the outside of the knee. that same root branch also extends down to the toes (big one as I recall).
So, IMHO, this likely relates to a compression of the nerve in your lower back.

Yes, I have the exact same symptoms. No, I'm not a physician. I'm just hoping it goes away after a few months.

I am experiencing the EXACT same symptoms! When I kneel I get a sharp pain in my right knee, followed by a numb sesation to the lower right of the knee. The pain goes away, but the numbness remains. A previous post suggest a nerve problem in the back - what does one do about this?

big, toe. But now much worse in my knee(left). denise

I'm in the Army and have spoken to my Doc about the same thing you all have mentioned. I am currently having the same problem. Numbness on the outside of the knee and a sharp pain when weight baring and or bending. This is a very common occurrence (I was told) in a Airborne (parachuting) community. I've only had it bother me on my opposite leg, when in the parachute harness, but now am experiencing the same pain in my right leg all the time. When I went to my Doc's they told me that my right leg was slightly out of my hip and that is what is causing my discomfort. Again, this is something that is common for those people that jump out of airplanes or have other such jobs, but the recommendation is to speak to your Doctor about this. They (he/she) might need to put it back in the correct place.

I recently have had a burn, in my outter knee when i bend down it feels like the skin is tearing! also it feels numb on the outter like i got a shot of something there. i freaking out and i cant seem to get any answers. i was tols it may be a blood clot but im guessing it isnt because of the fact its been like this for over a month now..can any one help out on this topic!

tks

For what it's worth, I've been similar symptoms for well over a year now. Started with a sharp pain any time I would kneel. Progressed to numbness in the soft spot just below the knee cap on the outside of my legs. Doctors couldn't figure it out. I tried Curamin (all natural anti-inflammatory) and it did help bring the swelling down. While I tried to figure out what caused this, I notices that I often sit in my office chair with my legs tucked up underneath the chair. (kind of like crossing your legs at the ankles under the chair) This puts a lot of pressure on the back of my knees and may have been cutting of circulation a bit. Since I've added a pillow behind me to push me further up the chair a bit and tried to stop tucking my legs under the chair my symptoms have rapidly improved. For those of us who work in an office, your chair might just be your worst enemy!

im a high school wrestler and i had a sharp pain in my left knee like it was being stung many times everytime my knee touched the ground this then ended and followed by complete numbness. i recently had a huge gash on my knee and didnt even notice until someone pointed it out to me. the trainer at my school said that it might be bursitis, which is an inflammation of the bursa sacs in the knee. i havent gotten it checked out by a doctor yet though cuz im gonna wait until the end of wrestling season

i too have the same problem with my knee. it's the left knee just like yours and i had the sharp pain when putting weight on it when i was pregnant and for a couple weeks after pregnancy. now it is just numb...so weird. i figured it had something to do with being sooo swelled up during pregnancy, but if u all are having the same symptoms i wonder what in the world it is. if anyone finds out...please post! maybe it is just a nerve problem...idk.

same exact symtpms...tearing sensation to the skin, pain with kneeling, mild swelling and numbness to lateral side. I am a nurse and have done a little research and am guessing it is bursitis as someone else mentioned. Bursa are small fluid filled sacs that cushion ligaments and bones. they can become inflamed, and sometimes even rupture. Usual cause is trauma or over use. I have bursitis in both my hips and have had for years......treatment is heat, rest , antiinflammatory meds ( advil, aspirin). Sometimes, if pain and or swelling is severe they can drain the bursa fluid...but this is usually last resort because it may just return anyway. Glad to hear I am not alone in my misery XD

Same symptoms as most above. For me it started about 2 months ago with sharp pain / burning in knees when kneeling or walking in stairs. Pain in the left knee was worse. The pain is now completely gone but both my knees are numb, the left knee seems worse than the right (below knee cap, lateral side). I had a baby 9 months ago and I got an epidural that left my left leg paralyzed for more than 24 hours after (I think he misplaced the needle somehow because it took more on my left side than my right). Does anyone know if the pregnancy itself or the epidural needle might have caused this? I also often sit with my legs tucked up like "est" above and will try if sitting in a different position will help. Thanks!