My husband had hip replacement surgery on Sept 26, 2006. His early recovery was excellent. He returned to normal activities with the surgeon's approval. Then after about 3 months, his upper leg began hurting (seems to be in his thigh) and it has steadily gotten worse. He is in moderate to severe pain now and physical therapy has not helped.

What might be causing this?[/]

I had a total hip replacement a year and a half ago. Initially I seemed to be doing quite
well into my recovery....hoping to get back to an active lifestyle. About
3 months into my recovery something horrible happened and I have been
quite disabled and in pain ever since.

I am 44 years old and had hip displasia as an infant. The left hip did not form
correctly and as a result my left leg was 3/4 inch shorter and I had very
limited external hip rotation.

My surgeon lengthened my leg, so that now my legs are the same length and I also now have normal external hip rotation.

I was beginning to train quite heavily 3 months into my recovery, hoping to
get back to some competitive cycling. During this time I noticed some pain in
the area of my ischial tuberosity as well as some numbness in my heal
and outer toes.

I went back to teaching full time at the 3 month mark and began to
experience increasingly severe pain mostly in the left buttock. It was, and still is a burning,
numbing, aching pain that gets progressively worse with standing, walking or any other physical activity.

Since then, I have only been able to work part time, and sometimes the pain
gets so severe I have to take time off.

The doctors here are stumped. X-rays are text book perfect. I have had
nerve conduction studies, tried massage therapy, active release therapy, acupuncture, physiotherapy, a Botox injection into the piriformis muscle,
and a cortisone injection into the ischial tuberosity area where the pain seems
to radiate from, MRI and ultra sound imaging show no notable abnormalities.

The pain seems to radiate from the area of the ischial tuberosity. There is
actually a palpable mobile mass in the area. When I sit on a hard surface it
moves and is quite uncomfortable. The pain can radiate there and/or move to
other areas around my left buttock and to the outside of my leg where the incision is.

The chronic pain is driving me crazy. At the moment, I have had another flair
up. It is painful to stand, walk and sit. Any physical
activity seems to worsen the symptoms. Heat and rest are the only treatment
options that seem to give me some relief, and healing. However it takes so
very long and the pain never seems to go away.

If you have any insight, please let me know. I am at the end of my rope.

Thanks so much,
Tanya

Tanya,

Your description of your pain problems seems to be a very close match to my own pain problems, which I have been trying to solve for the past several years. Doctors are stumped because all my tests and imaging studies appear normal but I just keep telling them I have this palpable lump in my left buttock where my ischial tuberosity is. The pain seems to radiate from there, and I feel little muscle spasms and twitches in that area that make it feel like a really tight or tense muscle that is trying to relax and just can't quite let go.

I haven't tried the botox injection yet but was going to look into it (even though I don't think its my piriformis muscle), as well as inquire about chronic hamstring syndrome that may be impinging on my sciatic nerve in that area, and whether or not surgery could alleviate the pain. If you or anyone else out there have any insights into this, the information and advice you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless :-)
J

I had my left hip replaced in 1998 and the right in 1888. I have had repeated pain in both hips at various times where it was painful to even walk. I went to my surgeon who ordered x-rays and found nothing wrong. I just take motrin and try to work it out according to my therapy exercises I had done before. Sometimes I have to take Motrin just to get up in the morning. Many times I just massage the area and try to walk it out.

I had successful THR about 6 months ago and came back strong. I have been walking about 3 miles a day / 3 days a week and do the eliptical machine at my gym for 30 minutes two other days a week.

At first I had no pain at all and now I seem to be having an increasing amount of pain in my thigh / femor and sometimes in my hip at the area that the implant was installed. I loosen up before I walk or work out to make sure that all parts are loose and ready to go.

I am not sure but the leg that I had the THR may be a little longer than the other leg. The reason that I got the operation was to be able to resume workouts that had really fallen off the past couple of years because of hip pain.

Can anyone tell me what may be causing this increased sensitivity to walking? Also please let me know if you have found a solution that reduces the pain and can allow me to resume my walking.

Thanks.
Mike
mdelagrange@vivotech.com

I had THR in Jun '08. After 3 months or so, I had virtually no pain whatsoever and didn't even show a limp. The about two months later, I started having pain in the middle of my thigh which eventually evn yeilded tendinitis in my knee.

It's now been 6 1/2 months since the surgery and I am having difficulty climbing stairs, standing on one leg, even putting a sock on that foot.

I'm going for a bone scan in two days, maybe it will yeild some answers. If not, does anyone have any ideas as to what might be my next course of action?

It has been almost five months since my hip replacement surgery and I'm having pain in the middle of my thigh as well. I'm in good health, with no other physical problems and I keep thinking I should be pain-free. My surgeon says it takes 12 months to totally heal after this procedure, so I'm very interested to find out what you learn, tsd, when you have the bone scan. Could you please post again after the procedure?

I thought I had posted this reply before. Evidently it didn't take.

The bone scan revealed what the doctor called "bone turnover, or the manufacture of new bone in the area around the tip of the femoral implant.

He explained that even though they tried to make these implants flexible, they weren't able to flex the same as bone, and as a result, any stress applied to the area would casue the bone to flex at the end of the implant , sometimes causing " micro fractures" in the femur.

He explained that as the healing process advanced, eventually the bone would repair itself and things should get better.

Hope this helps.

So many of your post match my pain, but I have one probelm. Five years ago (2004) I had a sudden onset of the worst, most mind numbing pain in both legs that I had ever had in my life, which sent me to the emergency room.

After 2 years and about 10 emergency room visits (2006), I was told that I had avascular necrosis (AVN) in my right knee. The problem was that it was not surgically repaireable in that area. About two years later (2008), I was told I had AVN in both hips which led to bilateral hip core decompression (drilling), which quickly relieved the pain for about 2 months. Well, that is not the end.

In November 2008, I had a total hip replacement of the right hip. I recovered so fast that I couldn't believe it. All of a sudden in mid-January 2009 both hips began to throb. And now I fear that I may need to have my left hip replaced. By the way I am a 32 year old U.S. Army Soldier.

My pain never goes away now. It is this constant pain that cause me to limp and limit my stride. Before, I ran 20 miles a week and weighed in at 214-219lbs (solid mmuscle) and now I walk from my car to a chair and weigh 189 to 193 and I am 6 ft 2 in.

Sometimes I get the same pain in my shoulders and elbows, as well as my ankles and wrist, but in no way is it comparable to my legs. I also feel fatigued all the time and like I can never drink enough water, I am always thirsty. I also have TMJ pain and constant soreness in my hamds and feet.

The doctors thought I had mixed connective tissue disorder, then Lupus, sickle-cell, and sickle-cell trait. I have seen a hemotologist and rheumatologist and had every blood test that can be given, even for things that I could never have. The only test I have not had is a bone marrow biopsy.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this and can provide a little advice for relief or anything else I can suggest to my ortho surgeon, rheumatologist, or hematologist?

I had THR in August 2008, the proced1ure I had done was the Anterior replacement technique. I have been in some sort of pain ever since. It seems that whenever I first stand on my leg the pain is almost unbearable, but after being on it and walking the pain will subside. I have had one epidural about 3 weeks ago in the L5 area, and am scheduled for another one next week in the S1. the first epidural was almost useless as the pain came back. I am experiencing the pain in upper left hip and in front of my leg in the thigh area. I have tried several pain relievers but any long term consumption of those brings on other problems(constipation), etc. Does anyone have any answers or suggestions?

me to with a weak knee wonding if it is muscules or nerve problems. had right hip replaced on 8/18/08 and a year later i still cant walk without the aid of crutches or cane what a deal. going to the mayfield clinic now , had a low mri on my spine 8/29/09. please reply if you have been fixed, or getting better..

Guest wrote:

I looked on this site after my husband had been in agony for one year after his total hip replacement. We went back to the original surgeon twice and then to three other orthopedic doctors... no help at all. Then I noticed that when he walked he seemed to rock when he walked. I went into my drawer and put a Dr. Scholls orthotic in his "good" leg's shoe. He immediately started to walk without rocking. I think when they put in the new hip, it made that leg longer. Maybe just a bit longer but enough to strain the tendon in the leg with the implant. It has now been two months and he has been pain free for all of that time. He stopped the stretching, pain pills and best of all he has stopped worrying about it NEVER being right. I hope this helps someone.

to tsd:
so how is your hip pain now?? i am suffering terribly from what sounds like very similar pain. it would be great to know how YOU are doing now, one year later, about. thanks. jan :-(

Linda Gravell 
I am 52 years old and had a hip replacement in 2006 and 3 months after the surgery in March starting experiencing leg pain and been going back and forth to the Doctor's for the last five years.  Went for a second opinion and had every test imaginable and the answer I got was that some people have problems and some don't.  I happen to be the one that has the problem.  I am in terrible pain.  The pain usually comes and goes but now it is steady for about 28 days.  He told me that it is something that I have to live with and I am not accepting that answer.  At times I feel like I can't even walk.  I could deal with it when the pain use to come and go but now it is constant.  The leg length was off about 1/4" and had to use a lift in my other shoe.  Five years in pain and no good answers.  This type of hip that I have has been on recall and they ran all the tests for that to and they all came back normal.  Can someone please help me.  

I have the same problem pain in my leg and it is getting worse hard to walk every thing was fine then it started hurting and it is getting hard to walk