hi, i just had my first interferon and i had 3 hours of great pain and flu like effects.but now is gone, and i am going to do some wotrk tomorrow, and all next wee, and again and agin and again.i will go tru that like sharp knife for piece of cake!its not a big deal!get urself together and show that thing who is the real MF here guys!!YAAAARRR!

I am to starting interferon, I am so worried because I am hearing so many different  stories, however, I no it is the mind that plays a big role in treatment.  I am going to stay positve and pray that I dont get as sick as everyone I talk to. Well say a prayer for me everyone... I will need it  for sure............

My husband began his treatment last Sunday 10-07-12.  This is the second time of taking Hep C treatment.  The first time was prior to the new available medications and it didn't go well.  Since than we have located a new Specialist and he has given us good hope for a positive turn out.  Although the first injection has been very hard for him (kicked his butt) he stands firm on continuing with treatment.  We have 7 beautiful children and he has to do whatever it takes to get well not only for his kids but himself.  Reading the posts has also been encouraging to him that it will all be well worth it.  We as a couple Hope and Pray that this is the answer not only for us but all persons out there fighting this horrible disease.   We will continue to pray for all you individuals/families battling this horrible disease and Pray that all the out comes with this new medication is well worth the suffering each and everyone of you have had to endure during treatment.  Many Prayers and Blessings to all. 

As i read your post I feel as though I am reading what i should be typing....and you are 100% right when you say he is fighting for his life. The only difference with my husband is that he is not only fighting for his life but we have 7 beautiful children (age range 25 to 2) to fight for also.

try having her apply for temporary ssi diasability. i have heard since this is a fatal disease that you may be abloe to get her on it or at least maybe on medicaid. Also some pharmacutical companies will give medicine to people that have no way to pay for it. either call your local department of human services, ssi office, and or ask your doctor if there is a program through medication compant. hope this helps.

Hi i have been on the medication for 5 weeks now i have geno type 3 and to be honest its not been that bad i also have a 3 month old son. The first few injections were the worst with side affects of broken sleep flu like symptoms headaches coming and going slight mood swings little outburst and sometimes emotional but nothing to bad really if i have an outburst my partner just ignore's me which is the best thing and i also at the moment am our only income i work in a new and very stressful job in a drug detox centre and i have worked in this field for years i do get tired sometimes and feel nausea at times but the key is to eat little but often and it calms it down. You partner should get offered antidepressants by the Dr's (CITALOPRAM 20MG) but i haven't needed to take them myself i'm a very active person and still am yes i'v had to slow down a little as i get out of breath but i still attend the gym the key is to stay busy but also rest i believe you can make it worse than it is in your own head. I also have a friend who is 3 months into his treatment he cleared the virus after 1 month and has also been ok on the treatment he has had side affects but nothing to bad the same as me really its just about staying positive. There are groups you can attend also to help you with this to talk to others in the same situation ask your nurse or Dr for details. he may also feel like isolating as well but like i said if he does just try to mix with others. I hope this has helped you both and wish you all the best in your process of this. If you would like to ask me anymore questions or my partner please feel free. Take care :)

I have 4 weeks left of my 6 month Treatment. it has been a rough road . their was a time i wanted to put a Gun in my mouth. It was SLEEP i was not sleeping weeks went buy without good sleep. i was seeing my DR for a check up i found my self Crying to her, i am 43 a grown man loosing it day by day the bleeding the pain. she had me lay down when she came back i was asleep i slept threw the ambulance admittance to hospital . they woke me up . dr said i smiled i said that was the best sleep i had. in weeks. after an ass chewing from my DR because i didn't tell her i wasn't sleeping i went to a sleep center for a night was prescribed a MILD sleeping aid ZOLPIDEM 5 mg i take a couple times a week or if i feel stressed. get plenty of sleep stay out of Direct sunlight , this is very hard on us be Patient and strong for us we still love you we are not ourselves our emotions are lost we need lots of love not sarcasm or attitude . sometimes a back rub my sex drive left my want for a hug or a kiss be positive for us give us space don't smother we still love you see a counselor together... stay with you partner during his or her treatment watch them close . you know out emotions better than anyone.

I too contracted Hepatitis C, as a result of a blood transfusion, following an accident in 1984.  I've been treated 3 times with 3 different types of Interferon.  I had a very difficult time with the Interferon treatments and experienced severe side effects, including; depression, nausea, headaches and weight loss, to mention a few.  Each time I received the Itereron treatments my Hepatitis levels would become undetectable while on the medication but return soon after completing my treatment cycle.  On a positive note, although the virus is still present, my liver enzymes have remained at acceptable and stable levels, since the third treatment, about 6 years ago.

On a not so positive note, and my reason for posting to this site; 3 years ago, I was diagnosed with a rare but often deadly type of Thyroid Cancer, called Medullary Thyroid Cancer, it is usually only found in older people, I was 44 when I was diagnosed.  Because mine was found early, as a result of an unrelated shoulder problem, my prognosis is very good. However, becuase there are often no symptoms with Medullary Thyroid Cancer, much like Hepatitis C, it is often not diagnosed, unlil it is too late to do anything about it. 

After a discussion with my family doctor and reading related articles about certain diabetes drugs, one of which I've included in the following link,

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

, I believe that there may be a tie between Interferon, which is delivered to the cell in a similar fashion to the diabetes drug, and my development of Medullary Thyroid Cancer.  The good thing about Medullary Thyroid cancer, if there is one, is that it causes high Calcitonin levels in the blood, these Calcitonin levels are easilty detected with a simple blood test.  To my knowledge, there has never been a study or a tie, linking Interferon to Medullary Thyroid Cancer but because of my personal experience and that fact that it can be treatded if detected early enough, I feel obligated to encourage anyone that has taken Interferon, to go to your doctor request this simple blood test.

Please post your findings, I do not want to create a false panic or dicourage anyone to not get the necessary treatment for their Hepatitis. I am simply concerned that if by chance, my theory is correct, that many people will may suffer unnecessarily because they did not know to get this simple blood test.

:-Di have hep c geno 2 light scarring and will start the pegasus and rasb. im great hope that everyone is different, but thank you so much!! reading these stories really help. GOD BE WITH YOU

My fiance has taken this drug and she was healthy other then the Hep C. Four months later she was diagnosed with Tcell lymphoma not to mention she was depressed and suicidal. I belive the Interferon was the main reason for the cancer.

I took my first shot last nite... I feel great! No side effects! Is that weird or what... Couldnt be happier...

My husband started the treatment, had 2 negative viral loads stopped 4 wks earlier because of muscle wasting, weight loss 60 lbs, depression,  anemia, low plattelets, then developed heart value problems and atrial fibrillation. When he started the treatment the doctor only focused on the mental health problems but no discussion was made about other problems. 3 tries at antidepression meds did not agree with him. The worst part is now he has been off the meds for approx. 4-6 weeks he has lost his health and has alot of problems with his heart and the viral load has returned. I would not recomend this treatment to anyone, going from healthy with viral load to very unhealth with viral load just isn't worth it. 

December 16 2012 I completed 48 weeks of Pegasys treatment for chronic hep c. I am a 44yo woman and this was my 3rd attempt at treatment. My viral load on commencement was 32million. At the 8 week mark it was under 50copies, at 12 weeks 0 and 0 every test thereafter. It was not easy. I was miserable and unpleasant to be around (putting it nicely). I was lucky to have a gp that worked with the hcv team. As symptoms arose - we dealt with it. Ondansetron wafers for nausea, Immovane for sleep. Panadol Osteo for aches, pains and temperatures. I survived (unlike some of my hair) my relationship survived and 3 months post treatment I am almost back to "normal" albiet with a shorter haircut. My 1st treatment was interferon only in the 90's, the hep returned. My second treatmment was cut short due to mental health. It appears to be 3rd time lucky. I hope you all achieve some success with this. Even if it does't completely work yoy would have given your liver a break with the reduced viral activity. My thoughts are with you all

the interferon, not the Hep C, causes MS.

Interferon DOES NOT give the liver a break. Doctors just say that. Those who fail treatment will develop worse liver damage sooner than those who never treated at all.