Hello everybody,

I’ve been diagnosed with hepatitis C five years ago and at that point doctors didn’t really have any treatment. Only prognosis that my liver is going to be worse, even ending up with liver cirrhosis.

So, since there was no ‘official medical’ treatment, I started using milk thistle and have been drinking it for last two years. And it worked! My liver function hasn’t gone down, it even improved compared to the first time I was diagnosed. The problem I’m facing now is depression and anxiety and I was prescribed Zoloft and Xanax. But some info on the net says that I shouldn’t use milk thistle with Xanax because milk thistle prevents Xanax to fully work. Is this true?

I'm afraid that you'll either have to give up either milk thistle or Xanax. Since I'm fighting depression for years, my advice is - continue with milk thistle since it obviously helps your liver. Xanax is not the only medication that helps in treating anxiety and you should simply talk to the doctor who prescribed you Xanax about other options you have. Medications like bromazepam or clonazepam are from different group of anxiolytic meds and they don't interact with milk thistle.

All and all, your liver is more important, and you have number of treatments for depression and anxiety that you can try.

Who told you there aren't treatments to hep c? Unless you have decompendated liver disease there are an array of treatments available. Do you know what genotype you have,,? Do you know what stage and what grade tour hep c is? Do you know what your viral load is? Have you been to an infectious Disease specialist or gastdoentsrologist? I made the mistake of listening to my doctor only to find he did not have a clue about what he was saying. The newest treatment is one pill a day no interferon. It's also $94,500.00,, which is outrageous. Educate yourself. AASLD. OR would be a good place to start. And cut ask on Xanax, try something milder like klonopin. Good luck