my sister got hepatitis c . she got freatment of pegasus as and completed 6 month coure by one injection every week. she completed the course sucessfully but after treament she wa s very much weak and even unable to move his any part of body. She got expired after one month of treatment. i want to draw you people attention towards a very important issue. that during treatment and after treatment you must be very very careful about your diet as patient dont want to eat and resultantly he becomes very week. so one must take proper intake especially fresh juices so that weekness not come.... .... so this is very important factor during treatment

Hello, I am about to start treatment for genotype 2, that I did contract from sex from my ex husband! So, just because your friend has had unprotected sex for 10 years, with a partner that has hep c, does not mean that it doesn't happen! You are not a doctor, and are not qualified to make statements, that are not true! I think it is completely inconsiderate and uneducated to be making statements of judgement on how someone else contracted hep c. Good day now!

The treatment (Pegasus-pegininterferon) for the Hep C virus should not be under estimated.  I have been exposed to blood for several years due to my occupation.   I lived through the 60’s and was a musician during this period.  My exposure to the disease cannot be honed down, but during a recent blood test, I showed positive with a huge virtual load.  After some consideration of what I was exposing my family to, I decided to go through with the treatment.  The meetings with the nurse and support staff (I have never been seen by a doctor for the disease).  They conveyed that this would be like a “bad case of the flu” and I should take Tylenol.  Every call for help and support to this huge medical “Cooper-a-tion”  (important clue here!)  resulted in a canned statement on how many Tylenol I could take for discomfort.  In fact, two doses of Tylenol exasperated the situation and put my stomach in knots.

Just prior to starting, I tore a knee cartilage and went in for surgery for that and was given some Tylenol Codeine for the pain—thank goodness!  After going to the class I started the pills (ribavarin) and the first weekly injection.  I have a type 2 genotype and determined to be highly treatable.   Also, I was given Psych meds (due to the suicidal side effects of this treatment).  I took them  for a while but stopped as it was a horrible feeling to me. Now it is obvious that the medical corporation handling this treatment minimizes the side effects, has pre arranged dialog the support staff uses, and the actual doctors isolate themselves from patient contact as they only review tests and what their “nurses” relay.  The problem here is most of the staff do not comprehend what is happening.  English is limited in many cases and simply setting an appointment or sending a fax is monumental at times.  This is not treatment through Kaiser, and I have some of the best medical coverage available (doubled covered).

Shortly after starting the treatment, I felt  as if I was close to death.  I dropped 30 lbs.  Had trouble breathing, eating, and chest pains.  When I called the “hotline” the nurse just read from a script on how many Tylenols I could take—if you decide to go through with this you will never want to hear about Tylenol again.    The Tylenol was tearing my all ready weak stomach up.  I was irritable and on my wife’s last nerve.  She has been a jewel throughout this and to think I was close to losing her.  This would have been devastating for me.  The Tylenol Codeine combined with Ambian helped a great deal, and I began to pull out of the dive.  I could finally get father than the bathroom  (I was drinking 5 gallons of water a day).   Very weak and while sitting on the couch, I moved a certain way and felt a tearing in my abdomen near the injection site.  This has bothered me through the remainder of the treatment, but was diagnosed as a torn muscle.  I have 4 injections left and a very tender abdomen right now.

The blood test is another story.  Weekly the test is done with the one at the end of the month being a 6 tube draw.  My arms ached which is not a good thing for a part time drummer.  Now, I am at the end of the road.  It will take another clean test in December 2013 (6 months after the last treatment) to be declared “cured,” probably by a nurse.

Medical support from this organization has been horrible.   I can hazard a guess that the liability is high for the doctors with equally high rewards financially.  Responsibility is shifted to staff; so, when things go really bad, doctors are somewhat insulated from the directives given.   They want me to explain the standard orders (for blood tests and additional ones) to the lab. My inclination here is that the doctors are responsible for communicating clear concise instructions to the lab.   I waited a half an hour for someone to show up to work at the last medical appointment.  I almost left, but the receptionist finally arrived.  When she did show-up, the receptionist could not get her computer running and handed me the same drug list I filled out 3 times before.  Couldn’t this be scanned or input with me signing off there were no changes?  These types of unprofessionalism happened consistently with each doctor’s appointment.  Competent staff is needed.   If you get real sick, call your physician or 911.  Don’t waste your time calling the numbers they provide.   They are reading from a script.

Finally, if you are in an occupation that requires physical abilities, such as restraints, write your own modified duty and FMLA—you are dealing with nurses that want to “minimize” the negative effects of the treatment and they have no idea of the duties of some professions.  Finally, expect to be disoriented especially in the initial stages of the treatment.  I nearly burned my house down.  This is truly a butt kicker, but something I had to do personally.  I have almost burned our house down, struggled at work, felt horrible, and put strains on my marital relationship.  Many people suffer from this disease and do not know it. The test is more sophisticated and the disease has mutated.  This medical corporation has been a MAJOR disappointment.  Remember that the truth is somewhere in between in most cases, and this forum has been very helpful in understanding.

Having been through 48 weeks interferon/ribavirin. fair to say i suffered horrendous side effects. flu like symptoms, malaise, aches, pains, hair loss.. my best advice is to be as active as you possibly can. being bed-ridden is a slippery slope to dreadful depression and feelings of despair. i know it sounds cliched but being as positive as you can truly helps.. GOOD LUCK!! to all suffering this terrible illness..

Yes, I have a friend in the hospital right now who is on his second go-a-round.  The side effects are tremendous and the medical "professionals" are business men.  Finally, after 2 months of being off the treatment, I do feel better.  

I went through this biological therapy for a year. Oh boy, it was a living hell.

My initial induction phase was 30 MIU INTRON A for 4 weeks 5 times a week. And maintenance phase of 18 MIU INTRON A for 48 weeks 3 times a week. The side effects were terrible. Headache, nausea, leg/muscle pain, fever, fatigue, depression, bad mood, breathing heavy, weight loss,hair thinning...list goes on.

I was alone at the moment. The info about my treatment was hard to find online. There were only these scientific articles that were talking about the side effects which i already knew about. I couldn't find any tips on how to reduce the side effects.

So please share your story if you have any tips on how to reduce these symptoms. Any home remedies? How did you handle them?

get ahold of the company that makes Pegasus, they have a sympathy,campain for thoses that caint pay, they helped me, and I hope your mother has a great recovery.i took Pegasus riborin, and victrilis, I made it 2 months before I came EXTREMLY allergic to it. and it happened in a mater of a couple of hrs.if you get real red, and blisters all over your body, get to the hospital. that's when the real hell begins, I had bugs itchy skin, crawling all over me for two weeks, I also found out, the day you stop talking the meds. my dr didn't even know who I was.

Excellent drug. It cured my hep c in 6 months. Very painful process though. A person has to be committed to the process in order for positive results. I highly recommend.

I took 6month duration pegysus interferon therapy. Yes it is a very,very painful process,however, if you weigh the odds (treatment or living with hep c and longterm effects) My opinion and experience is to go ahead and bite the bullet and take the treatment. The hep c I had is gone, I believe from a combination of the treatment and alot of prayer (in Jesus name) is what cured me,yes I am hep c free. I have hep c antibodies, but no virus. I was also on treatment for depression before and during pegysus treatments (effexor 150mg). You have to be a fighter to push through these treatments. They work if your williing to fight for your life.

I agree. The psych meds did not work for me, but you must be strong to make it through this. Be aware that there may be some long term effects from the treatment--good and bad cells are eliminated. The treatment does not discriminate.

I have been diagnosed with chronic hep c which just reared its ugly head after 20 or 30 years,

I was unaware of having this and my hepatic liver tests never warranted any reason to look further. 

I would like to ask, in all of this interesting, informative and generous sharing of stories, are there those who use this forum who are able to still work while undergoing treatment and make it through the day.  One of my attributes for being a great employee to my director, is my excellent memory and ability to shoot from the hip and switch gears at moments notice.  I cannot say with any real conviction that this job is stress free, really it causes me great stress, nothing left at end of day and think my case of shingles came from the stress.  Nevertheless, things are complicated and I do not know how I will be able to make it without going back to work next month at the very same time I am to start the new hep c meds.  Any feedback welcomed as well as any alternatives for diminishing side effects or something to help keep thoughts and brain sharp.

Thanks for listening.

I have the sores you are talking about and have had for 4 years. It took over 3.5 years for the doctors to do as I wanted and take blood. They just wouldn't do it for some reason????? The last doctor (second one at the same clinic) made a statement as to blood work and why it hadn't been done when I turned 50? I then addressed him and said, (I was in here 6 weeks ago and you didn't do it then, whats up???)
Sorry got off track but I have the sores and have been to 3 different Dermatologists that all did the same things and hand out the same creams and i'm still waiting on treatment to start. One of them did say that when treatment starts the sores will go away???
Sure hope I can work while in treatment. The system moves sooo slow I've been waiting to get started for several months.

Now I'm told by my Provider there is a new treatment being FDA approved in 2015 that has no side affects.

If you want to learn more about inteferon side effects from other people in detail then read this.

I am trying to help other people who are currently going through, or are about to start a treatment with any form of Interferon, including Intron A, Roferon A, Pegasys, Betaseron, and others.

I set out to collect other patients' personal experiences with the drug, particularly how they coped with the side effects. I started interviewing people online but they were somewhat reluctant to share. In the end I interviewed four patients, and added my own experience with Interferon treatment. I asked them some questions based on what I would have liked to know if I was looking to learn how it feels to be on Interferon.

Besides the interviews, I also added some basic info about Interferons and what diseases they are used for. I hope this is of some help to you.

You can find the book here: https://www.steadyhealth.com/interferon-side-effects

It's completely free but, "Please, spread the word!". If it helps you, it might be of great help to someone else too.

Contact the drug company. They should have some programs for this...

You don't know jack!! I contracted it From my hubby of 23 years and it was Through sex!! If you ever have "rougher" Sex or sex on your period, you can get Hep C!! DO NOT give out false info to People about a deadly disease just Because YOU have never heard of it!!