Hi, Im 26 year old law student and I have one maybe strange demand but I hope someone could help me.
Just the other day I have watched TV and heard some terrible stuff about hepatitis C.
Some of the Hollywood celebrities have it and in spike all the money they have, they can't relieve theirs symptoms.
So, I was wondering what kind of disease this is how people get this serious liver condition?
Thanks!

You are right about one thing- it is very serious disease.
Hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver.
Drinking too much alcohol, abusing drugs and taking some medicines can cause hepatitis.
A major problem in discussing prognosis in patients with chronic hepatitis C is that it is difficult to predict who will have a relatively benign course and who will go on to develop cirrhosis or cancer.
You know that human liver is called laboratory of organism.
When the liver is inflamed, it doesn't do a good job of getting rid of waste products so they arise in the blood.
Most people who are infected with hepatitis C don't have any symptoms for years and in some routine blood test they are diagnosed with it. This is incurable disease!
There are some injections of interferons given daily. These medicines don't cure hepatitis C, but they do make people feel better and may prevent future liver problems.

I had hep C for nearly 40 years and only recently took a treatment. (Pegatron - Pegalated Interferon and Ribovirin! ) The treatment was a year long and brutal, but I managed and then the next few months after the treatment, I felt like $2 mil.!!!! Unfortunately, life is different... and that changed..! The treatment which "cured"my Hep C also had a bad effect on me ( CHemo) . Just know that there is a cure that works for 1/2 the people, but the cure can be BAD..... Once i got over the bad feelings from the chemo (and other drugs) I was wiped and still have not regained my strength after nearly a year!! :shock.... o.O But still worth it!!!!! Don't be afraid to call!
Take care and good l
********

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

I've had hepatitis C for 13 years. I did 'combo' therapy, pegalyted interferon-B and Ribavirin, for just 7 months. I'm very lucky. I have had symptoms for years, and couldn't FIND treatment because so little is/was known about HCV.
First off-HEP C IS A VIRUS. You cannot 'catch' it unless you are in a blood-sharing relationship. Think: razors, tweezers, nail clippers, toothbrushes, any way there might be someone exposed to a microscopic amount of blood...there is risk of becoming HCV positive.
I was a chef for many years (20+) and gave up my career in cuisine after becoming positive. I didn't want to risk being the cause of anyone getting sick. Accidents happen in the kitchen. That's not to say I don't take precautions...I keep a bottle of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water in my own kitchen in case anything happens. I generally use it on my toilet as well. I have chronic diarrhea from hep and I clean my toilet every time I use it. Just for safety.
You cannot get it by touching someone with it. The risk of getting it through sexual contact are slim to none. Same with kissing. I could go on and on about how NOT to get it...but there are so very many websites about it that there is no reason anyone should not be informed. The problem lies in the stigma. It's much like AIDS was in the beginning. No money is given for research from the govt (no surprise there..it's all for war!) and I have, as a consequence from having it, lost most of my friends and family because they panic at the thought and don't bother to get the knowledge that is readily available. My stepmother is a nurse and is at more risk that I ever was. My sister as well...she works in a laboratory.
I believe I contacted Hep C while in basic training in the army. We were given air gun injections and no cleaning of the gun was done between soldiers. We were lined up and given injections in both arms as we walked down the line..they didn't bother to clean the guns as there is not much blood involved in an air injection. However, as I said before all it takes is a microscopic amount to be introduced into your system and you are at serious risk. I served during the Viet Nam era..and statistics show that 4 out of 10 veterans from that era have Hep C.
Please, get informed before you judge. People who use drugs are NOT the only people with this incurable disease. Treatment is harsh, it's comparable to chemotherapy. I lost my hair, 50 pounds and slept for hours and hours each day. But I'm happy to know my liver won't be affected by this virus any longer. I'm still tested every 3 months. Treatment is NOT a cure. Again, there is no cure. Treatment is simply a way to stop the virus from multiplying in your system and causing more damage to your body. The sooner you're tested, the sooner you start treatment, the better.
I wish you all good health.

**edited by moderator ** web addresses not allowed **

I have had the Hep c virus for 25 years. I am 46 years old. Ways to get the virus are IV drug use, transfusion (prior to 1992..blood starting being screened for the virus after this), body piercing, tattooing,
intra nasal cocaine use, sharing razors, toothbrushes, etc... Anything that has blood to blood contact. Sexual transmission very low...1-3 percent.
10% of diagnosed people have no idea how they got it. I got it from a tattoo.
I have had no treatment and live a normal life. I have a liver biopsy every five years, and a liver ultrasound once a year. I am more active than the average person, run 25 miles a week, downski over 100 days a year, rock climb and boulder, mountain bike, etc. The major symptom of Hep C is fatigue. It is very important to eat a healthy diet (low in saturated fats, limit animal fat especially red meat, as the liver has a hard time processing them) and to eliminate or severely limit alcohol from your diet. Do not eat raw shellfish or seafood, especially oysters. Do not take a lot of vitamin A which also is toxic to the liver in high levels. Limit Tylenol and never take it with alcohol as it is very toxic to the liver. Take naps. **get vaccinated for Hepatits A and Hepatitus B.
Cut out stress from your life. This affects the liver negatively.
Meditate and do yoga. I have not had any negative fallout from family or friends with this disease. If someone is afraid to be around you, than they are ignorant and are not worth spending time with. You are not your disease, it is just something you live with. Be well.