Hi! I have one question about Hepatitis C. My brother has it and he is under adequate treatment. But recently he started to show many signs of dementia. I started to think that maybe dementia is a consequence of Hep C. Is there a way that active Hep C can cause Dementia?

Well, as I know, it’s possible. I read in few publish studies that many patients with HPC have a diagnosis of depression and other psychiatric disorders. That is because of interferon treatment, which is necessary. Interferon treatment may cause decrease in serotonin and that could lead to an interferon-induced dementia.

Yes it absolutely can. Super high levels of liver enzymes can cause issues with brain function. My dad has advanced Hep C and moderate dementia. The doctor can medicate to help and increase life. Have him get his liver enzymes tested and get medicated. I hope this helps.