I am in third month of pregnancy. So far, everything is ok, baby is fine. But, I am having problem with constipation. In the beginning, the stool was hard that also bothered me (while defecating the stomach hurt) and now I have constipation. A friend recommended me dulcolax, but I do not know if that drug is safe to take during pregnancy.

As a former pregnant woman, I can say you that he basic rule for pregnancy is: no medications while being pregnant. I can give you the advice, and that would be most safe for both of you - change your meals, eat more fruit and vegetables, that would enhance the bowel movements and perhaps relieve you from your problems.

Well also as a pregnant woman you shouldn't ever take anything without consulting your dr o
r clinic first, I agree with changinbg your meals but sometimes when pregnant that does not always work so in that case you would need some help in making a bm. There are a few safe choices such as such prune juice for one or milk of magnesia, metamucil, fibercon, senokot,colace every pregnant woman should receive a packet of info from their clinic with all this info provided to them dulcolax is also sometimes ok'd by your dr. But again always duringing pregnancy contact your dr.

No drugs during pregnancy?  Ok if we can't use the restroom for weeks i think it gets to the point to where we need to resort to some sort of relief.  I'm sure  our babies don't want to be in pain too because a months worth of c**p is pressing against it.  Really??  

It's always good to try natural methods first, but I disagree that there should be no medications whatsoever during pregnancy.  I have awful morning sickness and I've decided to wean myself off zofran even if I'll feel worse because I'm worried about the effects it will have on my baby's brain too.  But I really don't think a stool softener could create permanent issues, especially if you only use it when you're really backed up.  That being said, asking the dr. first is always a good idea, because you'll probably find tons of info online that will tell you both ways and will just be confusing.

I just made the comment about zofran.  I just had to add that I eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, two large all fruit smoothies a day, and homemade 100% whole wheat bread (made from the wheat berries I grind myself).  I eat mostly vegetables and fruits and whole grains all day long.  I am STILL constipated and I'm going to be taking dulcolax today.  :)  My husband (RN) told me you can actually die from being overly impacted, too...probably not common, but hey, it could happen.  I think sometimes purists with being natural are just inflexible.  Good luck getting unstuck!

if dulcolax safe for pregnant women

My OB has said Dulcolax is fine to take during pregnancy, I'm pregnant with my first and it is a class A drug, in relation to pregnancy, meaning it is completely safe. I use it maybe once a fortnight and the only thing you might experience is some slight cramping and it may take effect quicker than usual. And as with takin laxitives at an other time, make sure you drink plenty of water before, during and after use to prevent de-hydration.

My doctor said that any laxative is OK as long as it does not contain Senna. This can induce labor.

Just a sugguestion and a little information. Pregnant with my first at 7 weeks. Dolcolax is OK for temporary relief, but it should not be used very much during pregnancy, As it canvery well hurt the baby. The further along in pregnancy you are, the more of a risk when taking dulcolax of the baby's intenstines relesing as well, the baby poops, and inhales its own feces, VERY VERY bad for the childs respiratory tract, it could give him many illlnesses, and possibly brain damage. So honestly, use this with caution. Your really far along, you shouldnt use it. I find that taking 4-6 drops of apple cider vinegar before and after every meal in your water (OR 3 times a day) Really helps get things moving along. And believe it or not, Apple Cider Vinegar has quite a fair few benefits for both the baby, and yourself. It is said to improve the baby's intelligence, as well as your own, fights against many diseases, helps with migraines and headaches, it helps with stomach ulcers, and bowel issues. There's quite a few positives, and no negitives. Apple Cider Vinegar will not harm your baby at all. :) Hope this helps, and have a happy pregnancy!

To the person above this comment, babied do NOT "poop" in utero!are you kidding me? People actually liked that post? Wow, in any case, ask your doctor before taking any meds that concern you....

I was told by my OB and colon Dr that ducolax was the safest laxative to take during pregnancy. I suffer from really bad constipation and my main concern was how am I going to go 9 months constipated? Both Dr confirmed the laxative and I get a mild stomach pain but I feel so much better after.

They do... Its called meconium aspiration. It can be very dangerous for the baby depending on how much, and how long they're exposed to it.

Just researched it and the person who posted that was right!

Just a note, I am a midwife and babies certainly can poop in utero!