Hi everyone,

Sorry to have to post on such an embarrassing subject but I'm suffering from terrible constipation and need some advice. I've been needing to go for the past four days but no matter how long I sit there I can't go by trying "normally".

Is it okay to strain during pregnancy? That is the only way I'm going to be able to go, but I don't want to do anything that is harmful to my baby. I don't care about getting hemmoroids from straining. They can't be as bad as being constipated and needing go and not being able to!

Thanks for your help.
Sarah.

Try using an enema. It will stimulate you to go without you having to strain. It doesn't hurt and provides significant relief.

I was pregnant at 15 and throughout my pregnancy whenever I got constipated, which was quite often, I did what I have always done and sat on the loo and strained it out.I never really gave it any thought as to any damage - none was caused and yes I did get hemorrhoids but they dont bother me.

Lyn

Hi Sarah

I had the same problem. I used to feel bloated and full and just sort of listless. I would sit on the toilet for 20 minutes and read, hoping it would come out. Are you actually straining, I mean is it involuntary, or are you pushing? If you're just feeling full and don't feel the urge to go I wouldn't try and force it by pushing. If you are just worried because you just haven't done a nice big poo in 4 or 5 days, I would make sure I'm eating plenty of fibre. Maybe take a mild laxative as well. If you have the urge and your insides are pushing all on their own (straining) but its like too big to come out I think a stool softener or an enema would be better. Several times I ended up straining (I don't like pushing at all) and it hurt so bad coming out. That's when I discovered that an enema after say the 3rd or 4th day worked so well because it made me poo before it got so big and hard that it hurt coming out. I hope this helps. Love Sarah

Straining isnt healthy for the baby and you could hemrage if the baby doesnt get enough air or is tightened in there. The baby needs its space and you should see a doctor to prescribe you something that wont hurt the baby instead of going and buying any old laxative.

what air are you talking about? the baby breathes amniotic fluid until its born...

bahahah teenmom17 OWND! im 17 and pregnant and i even know that the baby doesnt breath air, and sarah, i have the SAME problem... good luck. (but before taking any advie ask your doctor first.

I only have 4 weeks of my pregnancy left and I have suffered from constipation since i was a baby. I was diagnosed with a condition called NID (Neoronal Intestinal Displasia) and have had to rely on strong laxatives all my life to be able to use my bowels. I have found it hard during pregnancy as there are only so many safe laxative you can take and none of them will work. I have always had 2 take laxatives everyday and if it gets realy bad I would have 2 use pre surgery laxatives, the strongest we could find. I have to strain to the extent that I am holding my breath for a few seconds, sweating and causing myself stomach pain that last awhile after wards. I fear that I am causing my baby harm doing this but I had a midwife tell me I couldn't do any harm. Do you think it can be harmful?

yea but the baby still gets a circulation of air threw the fluid lol so fail on your part and the babys body still needs oxygen to pump blood etc

Air through fluid? The baby isn't a fish! An unborn baby gets it's oxygen and nutrients through the umbilical cord from the mother... And on the subject I'm 10 weeks and suffering too... I've never been constipated in my life so having to push is horrid! It's really hurting my bottom :(

I dont think she really meant the baby breathing actual air but more lack if oxygen from holding her breathe while straining. At least, that's what i am worried about. I have to remember to relax and breathe while pushing, much like being in labor lol

I must say that it is not okay specially in the time of pregnancy. You must cure yourself to protect your precious kid. Magnesium is a good solution. If you are suffering for about a week or more then you should not delay anymore. Magnesium is the thing that works like a MAGNESIUM MIRACLE. One of my cousin had a misscarrage. So, I'm already afraid about it.

Hi I wrote before and now I am in my 3rd pregnancy I just wanted to say neither of my previous babies have been affected by me straining on the loo during pregnancy, which I did a lot especially during my second time I was on iron supplements and was very constipated with hard lumpy poo not helped by having to wait till simone was sleeping before I could spend enough time on the toilet to get my poo out I don't like laxatives they don't work and you need to take more and more to have any effect I find it helps to raise your legs up so I wear a pair of high heels when on the toilet and just strain as hard as I can until it comes out. If I get blood or spotting from my vagina I stop and go back when it's stopped, I had a medical check up after this happened a couple of times and was told every thing was ok so now I don't worry about it like when it bleeds from my arse I just keep straining till I'm not constipated Lyn