I am in a third month of pregnancy and so far, there werent any problems, except that I am constantly nervous. My friend recommended me hydroxyzine, the drug she used when she was pregnant. She told me that her health status improved very fast after starting the therapy. Is hydroxyzine safe during pregnancy? Perhaps I should not start with it without a consultation with my doctor.

You must know that it is forbidden to take meds during pregnancy, especially in the first trimester. In those three months, tissue and organs develop, so you should not take any drug. Some studies showed that hydroxyzine has a teratogen effect. I would suggest you not to take the med, or at least, speak to your doctor first. Congratulations for the pregnancy!

i am 22 weeks pregnant with twins and my doctor put me on Hydroxyz because i cant sleep at all at night. i have looked up is hydroxyz safe durning pregnancy on google and what comes up is no it is not durning the first trimester. i am on my 2nd and having bad feeling about taking the medication. but all it has is not to take durning the 1st. has nothing about is or isn't durning the 2nd! help is it safe sice my doctor precribed it to me????

I took hydroxyzine 25mg during my 2nd and 3rd trimester to treat leg cramps i was having so severe i couldnt sleep at night. He is 22 months old and i had no complications and he is a perfectly healthy and beautiful little boy! i'm now pregnant again and in my 3rd trimester and having the same problems so my dr. prescribed the medicine to me again. i wouldnt worry if i were you, i do know that almost any medication taken in the 1st trimester is dangerous but after that as far as this medicine is concerned youre fine! Congrats on the pregnancy! Good luck!

Medications are not forbidden in pregnancy! Where are you getting that broad statement? Many meds are safe and if a doctor prescribes you needed conditions even if they have to do a risk/benefit analysis, follow a doctor's order, not a post online!

Your post makes me feel a lot better about taking the medication. I suffer from anxiety & my doctor prescribed me hydroxyzine pam & at first I was a bit worried. I'm in my 2nd trimester & reading your post shined some light on my situation. Thank you.

I am 3 months pregnant and my mom or dr don't no I am I am 18 with a Learning disability do you know if it still safe

That is completely ridiculous, meds are listed in pregnancy categories a,b,c a being safe c being not safe ,"forbidden " give me a break!

lol forbidden?? Says who? Psycho

Ummm yeah you shouldn't be telling people that it is forbidden to take medicine during pregnancy. There are plenty of meds that are completely safe during pregnancy. Not to mention the meds that may not be 100% safe may be needed and the need outweighs the risk.... that's different for each person. But by no means is medicine forbidden during pregnancy!!!!!!!!!! The job of the doctor is to talk with the patient and determine if the need outweigh the risks for each medication they are on. No need in scaring first time mom's out there who don't know any better!

I am waiting for a reply from my shrink I am 6 weeks pregnant have been on 25mg since before I got pregnant this is my 5th pregnancy and I am nervous about the health risk... I have had no luck determining weather it is safe or not...

You obviously don't know, there are plenty of safe medications you can take while pregnant. You need some better education when it comes to pregnancy obviously.

I know this is an old response, and an old Post, but seriously, f**k you. "Congratulations on the pregnancy but you must know meds are forbidden"? OP, I hope everything went well and you consulted the doctor and were able to take the proper medicine for your anxiety and that you didn't have to suffer through an entire pregnancy with those feelings. This "save the baby and damn the mother" mindset has to end somewhere. The wellbeing of the woman carrying the child is just as important as the health of the child, if not more so in many instances.

Hi, I read your post did you continue on the med hydroxyzine first thru third trimester.any impacts to you or babies health? I'm worried about taking it but think I need to stone my nighttime anxiety causes me to not sleep. Any advice is so appreciated.

I don't know about pregnancy but the hydroxine I take (pamoate) has had some I believe to be unknown side effects and most them are wonderful. I used to be alcoholic, for a 12 pack of beer a day for about (im 50) 30. Most of my adult life, off and on and when i wasn't a drinking, I was bulimic. I always craved either beer or food or something-you know, always anxiuonious , but I am a totally different person.. I didn't stop drinking from this drug..II used ANTABUSE. bUT things are easier now. I don't see my self as an alcoholic now. As long as I take my meds, I am trying to get used to it and others are too. Those who don't want to accept me can go away and Im ok with that. For anyone suffering from overeating should ask their doctor and seriously about this drug. Another bad effect, you wont know your hungry until your body tells you it is, so make sure you set a time regularly to have food with you and you will make it healtghy because you dont crave any certain food. Usually if something, like icecream or steak sounds good, I eat just a little to enjoy the food and dont want anymore than a little. Its only time for relatively new drug is found to have these effects.. I am using the generic name because thats what i get and sisnce its generic it should be like one of those 4 dollar drugs at walmart and I dont want to think i am any pharmocuetical for prifit.. This drug could rid the world of obesity, if you can handle tghe side effects. And make sure you are around a bathroom or use pads, or are willing to pop a squat because you dont know you have to pee unless your bladder is full i mean you are going to pee your pants. I hope a lot of people read this. I maty clean up my misspellings but I am going to try to get the word out.