I am diagnosed with hypertension, although I am only 30 years old. However, I decided to have a child, and I want to get pregnant soon. Since I take medications to treat this condition, I have a question. Can you tell me if the use of Inderal safe during pregnancy? I want to hear this because I am not sure it is safe for my baby.

Inderal is placed in pregnancy group 3. In a series of reproductive and developmental toxicology studies, Inderal was given to rats. It has been given by gavage or in the diet throughout pregnancy and lactation of these lab rats. They were given doses of 150 mg/kg/day, which are more then 10 times of the maximum recommended human daily dose of Inderal. It is measured on a body weight, but not at doses of 80 mg/kg/day. This treatment was associated with embryotoxicity. This means reduced litter size and increased resorption sites as well as neonatal toxicity or deaths. Inderal also was administered to rabbits also throughout pregnancy and lactation. There was no evidence of embryo or neonatal toxicity noted. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women, so I cannot tell you if the use of Inderal safe during pregnancy in human. Intrauterine growth retardation has been reported in neonates whose mothers received Inderal during pregnancy, but rarely. However, you should talk to your doctor if you are planning to become pregnant and you use any kind of a drug.