I have been on Suboxone for about 6 months. I just found out I'm pregnant and am worried that the suboxone and xanax I have been taking have harmed or will harm the fetus. has anybody been in this situation and how did it turn out. I'm afraid to stop taking the suboxone, not because of withdrawal but because of the depression i have,which is why i got addicted to Vicodin in the first place. please help.
Jill

I hope I'm not replying to your post too late!

I just wanted to say that I am in my 28th week of pregnancy and I am taking 6mgs a day of Subutex. Like you I was on Suboxone maintainace for opiate abuse (Oxy's). One month into my Sub treatment I found out I was pregnant! I was a nervous wreck!!! My gut instinct was to stop taking the medication all together. I didn't want to harm my baby and after reading all the info online it scared me! However when I spoke to my Sub doctor AND my OBGYN they both insisted that I stay on the medication because the risk of withdrawl to the fetus could cause a miscarriage. I was switched over to Subutex from that point on. I guess they feel that the Naltraxon (sp?) that is in Suboxone may not be good for the baby. Subutex is just straight Bupenorphine without the opiate blocker naltraxon in it.

I've been on it now for as long as I've been pregnant and so far (knock on wood) everything is going well! I have excellent prenatal care and make sure to take care of myself in every other way. I quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant and I am eating right. I NEVER forget to take my prenatal vitamin and try to drink lots of water and excersie as much as I can.

I'm not sure if you opted to have the genetic screening done at 12 and 18 weeks, but when I went, it gave me a great sense of relief. Being able to see my baby on the ultrasound screen and having the doctor tell me that everything looked normal was a huge weight lifted off my chest! I spoke to the counsler there and she told me that she feels Subutex is actually LESS likely to cause Fetal Withdrawl than Methadone which is the standard drug used to treat pregnant women addicted to opiates. The LAST thing I want to do is put my child through withdrawl, but as sad as it sounds it's better to do it after they're born when they can be monitored by doctors than when they're inside you and can't be helped. Also with Subutex there is a good chance your baby won't experiance ANY withdrawl!!! Another piece of advice I was given when I was first going thru this like you was to not stress myself out....stress alone can harm your baby so try not to beat yourslef up over this! Be as calm and relaxed as possible!

I hope my story helped you in some way. I will say lots and lots of prayers for you and your unborn baby! If you need anything else.....more advice or just someone to talk to thru this stressful time, don't hesitate to write!

Good Luck to you and your baby!

Melissa :-)

P.S. I know you mentioned Xanax use too. I don't have personal experiance with Xanax use in my pregnancy, but from what I've heard it probably isn't a good idea to take while your pregnant. I could be totally wrong though so your best bet is to check with your docs :-)))

Thank You for your reply. I have told my dr and he switched me to Subutex. Although i had to sign a waiver. I guess its a catagory c medicine. So is Zoloft which I took with my first pregnancy and my baby who is now 2 is a happy, healthy, sassy little girl. I did stop taking the xanax because it is a catagory d and I can manage without it. thanks for your response. i feel much better now. Good luck also! :-)
Jill

:-D well good news, im almost 4 months pregnant and trying to kick my oxy habit, i slowly eased myself odff for about 2 weeks, which is the smart way to go at first, once i eased myself off, i took 20mg of siboxin in a 3 day period and was happily and successfully off... my obgyn told me that siboxin was one of the best and safest ways to get off oxy addiction and not only that but because the fetus us ina womb full of water, it not only relaxes the baby but the baby will not suffer any harsh withdrawls as well so good luck...

How did your pregnancy turn out? I am currently 22 weeks and on 2mg of subutex for an addiction to painkillers... im worried sick about the outcome and what my baby will feel when she finally arrives. Ive had a few sonograms and all the appropriate prenatal care ... so far everything looks great. Im just soooo soo soooo scared.. if anyone has any experience or has been through anything like this please let me know...

does anyone wanna exchange email addresses so we can talk through email? Well im five weeks pregnant.. i used to abuse vicodin and heroin and i was on suboxon for 8 months.. then after i got off the suboxon i was abusing xanax and darvocet.. i just found out i was pregnant.. im five weeks and im freaking out!! im afraid it will cause complications.. i did the math and when i got pregnant i did 6-8 pills of darvocet a day.. i did 120 xanax from prescription and i did about 15 vicodin.. but now since im pregnant i stopped everything completely and im healthy and my Dr. appointment isnt until july 9th.. Did anyone have a baby and went through the same thing and the baby is alright? i really wanna keep it but i dont wanna gamble at the same time.. please write back.. i need advice and to hear stories.. my email***edited by moderator*** emails not permitted*** per terms of use

I am 28 weeks pregnant and just got on suboxone therapy one week ago for oxycontin abuse. Any pain pill really, vicodin, percocet, methadone, I have taken them ALL during my pregnancy. Even did heroin twice while pregnant because I couldn't get any pain pills.

I found out when I was about two weeks along and was completely honest with all of my doctors. Their advice to me was to not abruptly stop taking the pain pills as the withdrawals could make me have a miscarriage, but my family doctor and my OB would not (or legally could not, not sure which) write me a methadone prescription so that I didn't have to endanger myself and my baby by getting my "fix" on the street. I also wasn't taking regulated doses, obviously I was getting my stuff daily on the street, and that was something I wanted to be in control of.

I have seen a general OBGYN who referred me to a Perinatologist, (a specialty doctor for babies with birth defects, diseases, and other high risk problems, and women with high risk pregnancies) and am currently seeing the specialist strictly as my OB until I give birth. She told me to get in touch with a methadone clinic and get set up there, but A. they wanted me to drive two+ hours EVERY day to get my doses, B with the cost of gas and the pain of having to get there an back everyday wouldn't allow me to have/keep a job, and my car is not that dependable, and C they were going to steadily INCREASE my levels while my pregnancy progressed, and wait to get me off completely AFTER the baby was born. THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANTED. I WANTED TO BE CLEAN, AND OFF, BUT NOT SICK SO AS TO HARM MY BABY.

The specialist of maternal-fetal medicine was the one who finally got me in touch with an Addictionologist. He was the ONLY one I came in contact with who was licensed to prescribe Suboxone and I have been on it for almost one week. I feel great, I have a prescription, and I am in control of my addiction now, instead of the other way around. He informed me that early in pregnancy if you are abusing pain pills, the withdrawals can make you miscarry, and if you DeTox later in pregnancy it can send you into early labor, so it is a very tricky and difficult time. Every woman needs to be individually monitored and the doses fit for her needs. I will be taking 8-16 mg/day for a while and cutting back gradually until the baby comes. By the time I am going to labor, I will be completely off of the Suboxone and my baby will have a very low chance of DT's, but when he's born, he will be specifically monitored for opiate withdrawal, and because I've been honest with my Drs. if something happens, they will know exactly what I've taken, and the timeline I've taken it on.

I have also been taking prescription Xanax for about three years for my anxiety disorder, which I would describe as "moderate." I would not consider myself to have severe anxiety, as I do not have panic attacks anymore because of the "as needed" medicinal treatment of my anxiety. I have taken the xanax daily for a while through my pregnancy due to all the added stress of not finding a doctor who could help me get off drugs, however I have dropped down to one every other day or so. All the doctors agreed that managing the anxiety with the medication has a much higher benefit than disadvantage to the baby than putting the fetus, baby, through your anxiety. Anxiety is one of the most extreme forms of stress and it's VERY hard on your body and baby.

I am taking each step at a time, and it's been a series of baby steps. I haven't quit cigs, I smoke instead of taking xanax, and sporadically use marijuana, and have the whole pregnancy. So far all my tests, and ultrasounds are healthy and normal.

This has been the most emotional experience I've ever had, and I sincerely hope this will help someone else. I spent 26 weeks hunting around from doctor to doctor getting lots of opinions and suggestions but no path to follow. I finally got a game plan I can see working. I feel great, I have a great attitude and will be supplementing my medication therapy with counseling so I can talk to someone about all the struggles I've gone through. Hang in there and be HONEST with your doctors so you can get the proper referrals to people who can help.

I've been reading all of your posts and it sounds like your doctor's are telling you that you can DECREASE your dose while your pregnant, and possibly be done all together? Just wondering because I'm 5 weeks pregnant and am on 2mg of subutex, wanting to taper. I was on this my last pregnancy and my doctor told me I would have to increase my dose. I ended up on 24mg, and DO NOT want to do that again. If anyone could respond and let me know what their doc's are saying regarding dosing, withdrawal symptoms, etc. while pregnant I would really appreciate it!!! Thank you so much and Good luck. Oh, by the way, my baby had NO withdrawal from the subutex last time!!!

Great chat! Been looking for this info. Have been on Suboxone for 8 months. The last two at only 4 or 2 mg a day- the last week only 2 a day then less. Literally breaking into tiny pieces to make it last. 2 days off and i am not well...did I mention i am 14 weeks pregnant??!!! So nervous, can't sleep, but so tired. Crawling out of skin and so worried. How long will this last? My doctor moved out of state and has no liscense here. So no more for me. But I can call and get my vicodin in a day! don't want to be back at square one, but not sure if i can stand this....

Please someone tell me how long will i feel like this?

Help!

For great info try www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org and look at chapter on Pregnant women and neonates (babies) :-)

Ive been on suboxone for 3 months. I found out yesterday that I am about 4 weeks pregnant. Im worried sick that I am harming my baby by taking this drug. Im taking about 6-8mg a day. Im also taking 200mg of Zoloft for depression and anxiety. I would love to get in contact with someone who understands what Im going through.

First of all CONGRATS on your pregnancy! I know you wrote this a few months ago, so I hope things are going smoothly for you! I too am on Subs (subutex) and I too found myself pregnant a few months after I starting taking them! I totally understand your anxiety honey! I was a nerveous WRECK when I found out I was pregnant cause I had NO idea what this medication was going to do to my unborn child! I was also worried that if I stopped taking it, I would cause my unborn baby to go into withdrawl and possibly a miscarriage! I searched online for other women in my shoes and found very little! It was such a lonely feeling! That was over 2 years ago and I am happy to say, I have a HAPPY, HEALTHY, RIDICOULOUSLY SMART and BEAUTIFUL ( hey I'm biased, lol), baby girl named Rylee!!!

Throughout my pregnancy, I was on about 6mgs of Subutex. Once I told my doctor I was pregnant, he immediatly switched me from Suboxone to Subutex. I guess they say it's best to switch because of naltroxone in Suboxone, but honestly, if you haven't switched, I wouldn't be too worried, cause you absorb such a small amount of the naltraxone anyway! It was just a precautionary thing really! Another thing I did, was to make sure to let my OB know that I was taking the drug. It can be hard to admit that your on this medication, but for the health of your baby, it's best to have your OB in the loop! My OB was very understanding. Honestly, they see stuff like this all the time! Mostly methadone tho! Back when I was pregnant (2006) my OB had NO CLUE what Suboxone was! She had experience with women on Methadone, but had never heard of Subs! She and my Sub doctor were in contact with one another throught my entire pregnancy too, so they could be sure to be on the same page with everything!

I had such an easy, uneventful pregnancy! My daughter was born on March 13th, 2006 (11 days late....lol) via C-Section because she didn't want to come out!!! She scored all 9's on her apgar tests! Not only that, she had NOT ONE SYMPTOM OF WITHDRAWL!!!! You heard right girl....NOT ONE SYMPTOM!!! I was SO, SO, SO worried that my baby girl would experiance withdrawl from me taking this medication throughtout my pregnancy and she had NOT ONE, shiver, shake or sweat!!! Now, if I had been on Methadone the entire time, which mind you is the standard in this country for women addicted to opiates, chances are, she would have had serious withdrawl from it! I know what it feels like to be in withdrawl and the last thing I wanted to do was put my baby thru that!!! I cannot even begin to tell you have happy I was that she didn't have to go thru that! It was something I worried about throught my entire pregnancy!

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that you will be fine, and your baby will be fine!!! Try to get on as low a dose as you can without feeling like c**p! For me that as about 6mgs. I know other women that have taken 8mgs their entire pregnancy and their babies were fine too! As long as you're comfortable and not experiencing withdrawl! I would also see if your doc can switch you to Subutex just as a precaution! I truely believe your baby will fine! Do all the other things you're suppose to do when you're pregnant like eat right, take your pre-natal vitamin everyday and get plenty of water and rest! OH and don't let them tell you that you can't breastfeed while taking Subs either! That was another thing I was worried about! I thought if I breastfed, I would subject her to the drug all over again and cause her to have withdrawl.....WRONG!!!! I breastfed for 6 weeks until my milk dried up and she was fine! She is now almost 2 years old and she is ahead on every milestone chart out there!

I wish you nothing but the best honey! I hope you have a wonderful, easy pregnancy and my god bless that little angle of yours!!!! I hope I've helped to ease some of your anxiety!

P.S. As far as the Zoloft goes, I'm not sure what that will do....I've heard mixed things about taking it during pregnancy, but your doctor will know best so make sure to check with him/her if you haven't already!

BIG HUGS and GOOD LUCK!!!!

Hi girls!!!

I was reading your posts and wanted to let you all know how my pregnancy turned out! I posted a while back in response to the original poster of the thread. I think my screen name was different then tho! I believe back then I posted under pugcrazy! I couldnt' remember my password, so I created a new account...LOL!

Anyway, I wanted to put some of your minds at ease and let you know that on March 13, 2007, I gave birth to a happy, healthy, baby girl!!! Not only did she score all 9's on both of her Apgar tests, but she also had NOT ONE, SIGN, SYMPTOM or OUNCE of withdrawl from the subutex!!! I was on about 6mgs throught my entire pregnancy! Not only that, but I breastfed her for a little over 6 weeks too! If breastfeeding is something you want to do for your baby, but are worried you can't because of this medication, don't be!!! My daughter was fine! Today she is a vibrant, active, happy, almost 2 year old! She is way ahead on all her milestones too! She walked when she was 9 months old and is talking in complete sentences at just under 2 years old! She is like any other kid out there! The subs had no effect on her whatsoever!!! I hope and pray that each and everyone of you has the same experience with your babies!!! You will ALL be in my prayers!!! I would love to hear updates when your little ones arrive!

GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS!!!

HaHa...I'm such an id**t!!! I thought these were two seperate posts!!! I didn't realize my original post was on page one of this post so I responded twice in the same thread! DUH! So sorry ladies....it's late here in CT! I guess that's a sign I should turn off the laptop and go to bed huh?! LOL!

Hi my name is Hayley, i am on 16mgs of suboxone, i have been on it for 2yrs now. about a 1 1/2yrs ago i found out i was 8wks pregnant, i was freaking out cause i had heard that suboxone was very bad for a fetus. I went to a specialist who said everything was fine, and to continue use. Then i came across another doctor who later told me it was also very bad. So after being bounced back and forth from it being ok and bad, i was so confused and very concerned. So i cut down to about 4mgs at 5 months. Then i had the 3D ultra sound done, which showed us that the baby girl was beautiful and healthy. At 9 months i gave birth to a 7lb healthy baby girl.