is effexar used to treat hot flashes

Yes, it is. Effexor is an antidepressant that proved to be effective in treating hot flashes and other menopause symptoms. Effexor is used in women who should not use HRT or don’t want to.
    Effexor is an effective non-hormonal treatment that is effective in 60% of cases.
    Different drug doses don’t have different influence meaning that 75mg would give the same relief as 150 mg would.

Other symptoms like sleep problems, mood swings and emotions have also been improved by the drug. It is , however, not known if it is due to the drug’s effects or if the hot flashes management and control has positive influence on sleeping problems and mood.
    There are some side effects reported from this drug. These are nausea, appetite loss, constipation, dry mouth, etc

I tried Effexor and it had no effect on my hotflashes. I tried it for 3 years. Nothing!