I'm 63 and I'm still getting hot flashes. I had a hysterectomy 17 years ago. How much longer should I be having hot flashes?

I wish I knew...I have been having hotflashes since June 1992 and am 60 now and still having them... o.O

I'm 63 also! Had a hysterectomy back in 1972 - was given Premarin and was doing fine until my gynecologist got scared from the reports back in the early 1990's. She took me off Premarin and blam!...It threw me into hot flashes and I've had them ever since. I've tried getting back on Premarin, signed a waiver with my doc that all I want is quality not quantity....I've tried Black Kohosh, drink Soymilk and have taken the new drug Enjuvia; heck, I've even grown my own Soybeans; ate them raw and cooked (very good I might say). But, NOTHING works. I have major hot flashes every 4 to 6 hours; then I swing to too cool; then finally back to normal. This lasts 5 to 10 minutes. I have a cold pack handy, wear shorts and go barefoot while everyone else is wearing thermals! There's got to be something to help us!

When I say hot flash, that doesn't mean just getting hot. It means you feel bad all over before you get hot. I have to be careful, especially when I'm cooking. Some innocent soul comes in the door and I have a "wave" of feeling bad..I'm stirring and pulling food out of the hot oven and I just might bite their head off before I realize I'm about to have a hot flash. ha!

I would surely like to know if you or anyone has received a response. I too am 63 and had a hystorectomy 20 years ago and was doing the Vivelle patches. They did work very well, but I got concerned their use may cause breast cancer even tho we don't have that in our family. I also have tried everything under the sun but lack of sleep, running hot/cold and just all around tired of this I may go back on the patches. Especially if no one has found anything else that works. I too believe quality vs quantity is better.

Totally agree. Been hot flashing for 12 years goddamit.

I had a hyster at 35 and did fine until I was about 50. Then the hot flashes started and all. I took estrogen for 5 years, got off, and then tried the patch and was unhappy because it made me bloated.

i am 63 and have been having bladder infections constantly for the last 2 years and now hot flashes are back at night and sex was uncomfortable. My doc said you need some estrogen!! You are not too old for it.

So I started back on .5 of estrogen and oh my gosh what a difference. I still get a hot flash maybe once a night, but everything else is better. I could stand a hot flash but not painful sex or bladder infections.

My aunt took a small dose of estrogen into her 80s!! She said her doc said if it makes the hot flashes under control go ahead.
Oh, there is no breast cancer in our family as far back as we can determine on mom's side.

Anyway, it took me 6 months to make up my mind but I am glad I did it. Let's face it, 63 is not your grandmother's 63!

Good for you saysesame. There is a history of breast cancer in my family, but not on mom's side, she's 85 and still has them!! I'm still torn. But just a wee bit of estrogen would make quality of life so much better.

I was so shocked after 5 weeks on the estrogen how much better I felt. The fact that sex was not painful was such an eye opener for me! That is when I knew estrogen is so vital for women who are still in menopause.

My doc said two things to me that were important. First I am a woman who needs a gallon of water a day to stay healthy. That is about 6-8 glasses a day. Or 4-6 bottles of water.

Second, she said some women NEVER seem to get thru menopause. Our bodies and brains don't accept the lack of estrogen and just go quietly into the elder years!

I really wonder about my grandmothers. How did they manage these years without going nuts??/

My grandmother used what was called Laudanum, opium tincture, LOL. 

You will always have Hot Flashes. For the rest of your life!! The only thing you can do is get on bio indentical hormones. Yes, this is a risk for cancer also. However, it is not as risky as hormone pills. A lot of women use bio identical hormones. I still need estrogen and progestrogen. I need a letter from my cancer doctor to approve. I got breast cancer from using hormone pills. Very bad to take. I used them for over 20 yrs and I developed breast cancer. I can't stand Hot Flashes. Plus, being off of estrogen my skin has gotten really dry. So, I use what I can to moisturize my skin.

I wish I knew, I started menopause at 35, had a hysterectomy at 47 and thought they were over when I turned 57, but no, at 62  they are back again with a vengeance, one minute I'm ok and the next I'm soaking wet. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate any advice.

I'm not alone?  My friends don't mention anything like this, but at 62, I'm experiencing a hot face and shoulders all the time.  I was thrown into sudden menopause after breaking my back at 49.  I was thinking this was due to a problem with my body regulating my temperature, or the narcotics I've been taking for a hip, or any one of a dozen different things.  I have a round glass bottle of ice water with me in the house all the time. I refill a Voss  bottle several times a day to drink, and use it as my cool pack as well.  I am finally going to ask my endrocrinologist about this on Monday.  Foolishly, I never thought to ask him.  I took hormones for about five years, and was a happy girl, but the doctor felt it was time to worry about the woes they can bring, and I stopped.

Oh my this is exactly what happens to me! I am 60 and became a hystersister 10 years ago.

I am so grateful to have found this site!  I am 63 too and according to my blood tests, I am well over menopause.  I didn't have many hot flashes or mood swings during menopause, so I am frustrated, worried and down right hateful when these hot flashes happen. I have crazy night sweats where I go from drenched, to freezing cold, to drenched over and over again.  During the day, I have terrible mood swings and hot flashes.  And then, some days I don't have any.  I don't understand what is happening. I was never on any hormone therapy, but would consider it now for sure if I knew it would help.  I thought that this was just some weird phase that would pass, but I see from the posts, that this may never happen!

I am a breast cancer survivor. I am not suppose to use Estroven. But I do. It does help. I don't feel those mood swings like I use to. They were awful. I still sweat a little at night tho. I sleep with a fan pointed in my direction. Bio-Identical hormone therapy is the best to me. Make sure it is mixed with aloe and the hormone. No synthetic stuff-that is how I got my breast cancer.