I have noticed that when I drink soy milk - vanilla flavor, I experience hot flashes for days. What is the cause and has any one else experienced the same.

I have been experiencing the same thing even mood swings when drinking the vanilla soy milk, I was wondering if someone can tell me and Leticia why this could be happening. Connie

When my sister drinks regular 2% milk she gets hot flashes afterwards. She takes thyroid medicine. What would be causing this?

Soy milk has phytoestrogens in it that mimic estrogen in the body. It is a fairly high concentration of estrogen, enough that just 2 glasses of soy milk per day will affect your menstrual cycle. Soy milk has been shown in studies to increase risk of breast cancer in women and girls, and it affects the sexual development of the fetus. Soy milk is touted as a health food but do some research on it--it isn't as healthy as we've been led to believe. I am pregnant with my second child and came across this information, and you can bet I stopped drinking soy milk right away.

I too have noticed the same thing and tried not drinking soy milk for a couple of weeks....just cow's milk and the sweats mostly went away. When I resumed drinking soy milk they came back with a vengeance. Too bad as I like soy milk.

Nancy

I never experienced hot flashes after drinking soy milk until I started using bio-identical progesterone cream. I have had a full hysterectomy and have been taking estrogen supplementation for over a year. I assume it is causing havoc with my estrogen/progesterone balance.

I've been drinking soy milk - vanilla flavor because I have an intolerance to dairy products, and have been experiencing hot flashes. But last night, I also ate soy ice cream (chocolate peanut butter) and had much worse hot flashes. I've also noticed that drinking coffee increases hot flashes. For the next few days, I'm going to try being totally soy (and coffee) free, to see what happens.

i'd speak w a doctor. for me personally, silkwave unsweetened removes hotflashes like a charm. if i stop drinking it, they come back. being pg takes presidense over everything of course.

How much do you drink?

I must be one of the few who has noticed a REDUCTION in my hot flashes when I drink vanilla soy milk. In fact, I rarely have them :-)

interesting.. am 52 and went on holiday to Japan (lots of Miso soup), thought it was the type of bedding that was causing the sudden on-set of night sweats but they continued back home - menopause was next thought, went to Dr who suggested increasing soy foods. Starting using a supplement with phytoestrogens and then last night drank soy milk - could melt an igloo today.

I too have been drinking vanilla flavor soy milk, only because I can't have dairy products. I am 67 yrs. old and haven't had real bad hot flashes until the past couple of months. Has something been added to the soy milk resently? I have stopped putting it on my cereal, and
I have never had a glass of it at all. The hot flashes have gone away. Return to soy, they come back. Off completely now! What is going on?

Well for what it's worth, a friend of mine suggested I try soy products so I had a tofu custard one evening and I woke up drenched in sweat - first time in a long time. I am in peri-menopause but think I'm getting close to full menopause, and for a couple of years I suffered incredible bouts of night sweats and hot flashes - drove me absolutely nuts. Since I'm phobic about taking hormones unless totally necessary, I tried taking Primrose Oil instead. It worked like a charm! Although I have found that you need to periodically increase your daily dosage; I'm now up to 6 gel capsules a day and I believe 8 is the most you should take in one day. But I am hot flash and night sweat free, which means I'm sleeping better and much less cranky. I have several more tofu custards in the fridge but am afraid to eat them in case it brings on another bad bout of night sweats. Those are the absolute worst!

Wow! My Naturpathic Doctor told me to stay away from all soy! I'm 52 and rarely have hot flashes; however, I take 1-2 TBSP of Flaxseed oil per day and I know that helps tremendously because if I miss a few days, I start noticing mild "personal summers." :-D That's usually when I realize I've missed taking my Flaxseed oil for a few days. Once I resume, everything goes back to normal.

I've also suggested this to some friends who complained about hot flashes and they have reported back to me that after they started taking the flaxseed oil, they noticed a huge difference! :-D

Also, for those who like to drink soy milk, another option is almond milk. I'm not a big milk drinker - BLECH!! But I make my own almond milk for my Superfood shakes. YUMMMM!!!