Hi. I am a woman that is 53 years old and I have entered the menopause. I am currently under the HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy). I have started to use Estraderm patches to make up to the low hormone levels. I find it effective to this point, but I haven't used this estrogen patch too long, so if anybody uses Estraderm patches, please tell me more about them.

I use them, exclusively. They are good and effective, and the only drawback is that I have allergies. These patches are good, but as any other medicine, you should read the inscription first before you buy it. You can't use them if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. It also has some minor interactions with other drugs. Nothing too serious. Just your typical everyday estrogen patch.

I agree they are good, but also you need to know that, even if they are good and effective, they give you a short-term relief of symptoms. True, they contain the active ingredient estradiol that is amazing and that can help you a lot, but I don't find it that helpful. It can't help me treat a vaginal dryness during menopause, which is my biggest problem. So, I would prefer something else, but if this is good for you, go for it. In that case, you should not change it at all. Yes, I also have heard about the side - effects, but they are minor. 

I have been using the Estraderm patch for over 8 years following a battle with cancer. It has been very effective and convenient for me.

I am now at the point where my doctor feels I should no longer be on hormone treatment. I am wondering what other alternatives I have as I have no ovaries due to battles with cancer since I was 30.

Hi Cornelia-

It's wonderful that you are involved in your medication regimen and are asking for more information.

HRT should only be used to treat serious and bothersome vasomotor symptoms of menopause like hot flashes and night sweating. There have been studies, the most significant being the WHI (Women's Health Initiative) showing that using HRT can increase cardiovascular events like strokes and also increase the risk of breast cancer by 4 to 5X. These risks were seen in women who took HRT longer than 5 years and at high doses.

If Estraderm is helping you, make sure you have your OBGYN or MD prescribe you the lowest possible dose and for the shortest time possible, preferably less than 4 years. Consult your MD at least once a year to review reasons for continuing HRT. Be sure to get breast exams and mammograms annually.

Some women can control their vasomotor symptoms of hot flashes by reducing stresses like doing yoga or taking a walk while getting some fresh air. Regardless, your menopausal symptoms will eventually subside, so make sure that HRT is discontinued at an appropriate time for you.

Hope this helps!

Hi Cornelia, I started on the Estraderm patches 0.05 when I was in my late forties. I had a hysterectomy but still had my ovaries. I am now 69 and still using them. As long as I used them I had no hot flashes, insomnia, or any of the other symptoms of menopause. The only side effect is about a five pound weight gain. Not happy about that. When ever I decide to stop using the patches my hot flashes return and I can't sleep. So I go back to them although I only wear one about three days a week and that seems to be enough. I tried the once a week Climara but don't like them. I have much better luck with Estraderm twice a week. Good luck. My general health is excellent except for some arthritis in my hip. Good luck.
Macamolly

I have used Estraderm patches 0.1 for 26 years. I had a complete hysterectomy. I tried pills and they did not work for me. I love the patch. Just put it on and forget about it for a few days. I have a complete physical each year and I have not seen any bad side effects from the use of this medicine. I am having trouble at times getting my RX filled and the cost has gone up. But overall I would not change my RX unless they stop making the patches.

Hi i am a 60 year old woman i had a total hysterectomy aged 24 and went into a fake menopause i have been on patches since then and work great for me i am awary of all the different issues about them but my theory is if it works don't knock it. i realise i will have to come of sometime but my gp quite happy to wait till i retire, hope this helps other readers. XD

Hi i am 46 and have been menopausal for about 16 months now due to a hysterectomy at 30 i have 1 ovary so thats why ive started early anyway i tried every single herbal remedy for the flashes nothing worked at all so i decided on the hrt i started on a tablet first of all but ended up with too many side effects so my doctor changed my hrt to estraderm patches ive only been on them for a few days but so far so good as long as they keep the flashes at bay ill be happy

These comments were quite helpful to me. I'm 46 and had a hysterectomy when I was 39 I still have my ovaries. However I did well until I turned 43. I started having hotflashes. My doctor put me on a low dosage of estrogen and from there to a higher dosage. The problem is that I wasn't having great success plus the higher dosages has added about 15 lbs to me. I am now to start the patch on tomorrow. I hope all goes well and some the pounds also. Again thank you guys for you help I surely needed it!!

I also have been using the Estraderm patch for almost one year. I went to refill my prescripton today only to learn that it has been discontinued with no explanation. The pharmacist did say all patches have been discontinued. Is this just in Canada? I will have to speak with my doctor for a new prescription. The patch was working so well for me, too.

I am post menopausal and did the whole thing without any hormones. It was really difficult, but I was too afraid of the negatives I've been hearing regarding increased chances of cancer.

You guys might want to do more research before you continue on the hormones. Menopause is natural - not fun, but natural. Replacement therapy is a misnomer because we naturally are supposed to be without them. Even the bioidentical is not safe from my understanding.

Obviously it's a personal decision, but there definitely is risk in taking hormones.

anonymous wrote:

cornelia wrote:

Hi Cornelia-

Hope this helps!

I have taken Estroderm for 17 years. Tried to go off it 4 times. Suffer incredible hot flashes and night sweats, and am 69 years old - so I am curious when this "symptoms will eventually subside". Drs say I am not the normal case so take care in giving blanket medical opinion.

I am 75 years old and have been on the Estraderm patch .05 for around 20 years. I had a hysterectomy in 1981, leaving 1 ovary, I did not have any menopausal symptoms but my new doctor thought it was a good idea for me to start taking estrogen after I had a major stomach surgery, I tried taking the pill and it did not agree with me so then went on the patch, he said he wanted me to stay on it until I was at least 70 years old, after I got to be that age he said it was up to me if I wanted to continue or not, I stayed on it until 2 years ago and another new doctor wanted me to be on Evista for my osteoporosis and he said I could not use the patch while taking that. The Evista caused me too many side effects so I stopped taking it. I was not on the patch for 1 and 1/2 years and during that time my fingernails pealed off, my hair was falling out and my skin was breaking out. At that time I needed to go to my Gynocologist for a different problem and he said I should go back on the patch, as it is good for all parts of your body. I am happily back on it for a year now and nails and hair and skin are good. I want to stay on it for those reasons.

I ended up here when my Pharm told me the Estraderm .05 is not available any
longer too. I'm in the US.

I started using it when I was 36 for complete hormone
replacement after a complete Hysterectomy including a Oophorectomy. I love it. When I stared on it I felt normal for the first time in my adult life.

I never want to give it up, lol.  I am 53 now, that makes it 17 years for
me.

I am terrible at remembering to take pills. The patch solves that for me. My
one problem is remembering to change it but if I am late even half a day the
horrible hot flashes start and I know immediately I have to change it.

I have sensitive skin and the Extraderm was the best adhesive for me. I got
blisters from other brands adhesives.

I am pretty upset that Estraderm is no longer being manufactured. They do
have a new product but I don't know anything about it.

I also have bone density issues so my doc wants me to stay on HRT.