I have a friend who complains she is hot and is flush. This comes on suddenly and no one else is hot. I think she is having hot flashes and she swears no because she had a hysterectomy and menopause 10 years ago.
Can you still be having hot flashes 10 years later????

Since she controls the thermostate in the office I would like to know if anyone else has been through this type of late hot flashes so long after a hysterectomy. Today it was 60 degrees outside and the office was around 74. (Normal temp. No one was complaining) she got hot and then turned the AC on. I froze!! This is difficult since she is Human Resources!!!

We are the same age (53) and I have been through menopause for over a year. I still have hot flashes so it is not like I have not experienced what she is going through.

the same thing is happening to my mother after her hysterectomy 20 years ago. The doctors keep telling her it is menopause but she doesn't think so...

The same thing is happening to me 10 years after my hysterectomy. I do not understand it. I am having severe hot flashes, night sweats to the point of having to change clothes, sweating like someone is pouring water. I had a hysterectomy in 1998, and it seems weird to have the symptoms now.

I too have started having menopause symptoms and I had a complete hysterectomy 10 years ago. I have hot flashes, vertigo, nausea, headaches, mood swings, anxiety etc. I still take a low dose estrogen. Dr.'s say I can't be having this because I should have had it 10 yeas ago but I know I am not imagining it. Glad to hear there are others out there like me.

I am 43 and had a hysterectomy 6 years ago. I have been on Estratest HS for 6 years and have had no problems at all. I have felt better than I have in my whole life as far as normal physical and mental functions go. About a month ago, the pharmacy switched the Estratest HS for a generic they said is the same thing. The name of the light green generic pill is EST Estrogens /MET 0.625.1.25MG. After one week, I was in Hell. I began having night sweats, anxiety...you name it. I feel like I am going insane and I can't focus or concentrate. I can barely watch a 30 minute TV program. I went from a moderately healthy woman rebuilding her life to a disaster.

I know it is the generic medicine. This is crazy. Pharmacists should not be allowed to do this. I wish I felt better because I would start writing everyone on the planet. Hormones are serious business and it is high time this country starts treating women and their hormones with respect.

The country bent over backwards to get every medicine rushed through the FDA to enhance the Male Organ, Labido or what have you. This is 2009, women are still suffering from just being women.

I had major hormone problems my whole life. I finally found a doctor who went against the insurance companies and the medical association and performed a complete hysterectomy on me. I woke up in recovery with the nightmare completely gone. I had been diagnosed as depressed, spoiled, insane, a drug addict, you name it. I had 3 periods a year yet my pms would start 18 to 20 days after my cycle. I went thru months of PMS being told by doctor after doctor it was all in my head. I lost my children to my X. I am on disability and I shouldn't be. There is no reason your tax dollars are going to support me. The technology is out there, the medicines are out there that can put me back in society.

NO WOMAN SHOULD HAVE TO SUFFER IN THIS DAY AND TIME.

I urge anyone who has the strength to write your congressmen, write the President, write everyone you can think of. It is a crime that women are still suffering. I want to be healed so I can start a foundation to make sure what happened to me never happens to anyone else.

Please, if you have daughters, listen to them if they complain of menopausal symptoms, no matter how old they are. This is a real phenomena. For the love of our daughters, we need to make a very loud voice heard throughout the world.

I also tried Syntest. Also, noneffective.

My thoughts and best wishes go out to each and every female in the universe that suffers these symptoms whether moderate or severe.

I had a hysterectomy 10 yrs ago. I have hot flashes all the time and sweat profusely. Ican't take hormones as they make my legs swell, my doctor put me on effexor and that helps some. but the effexor makes me sweat all the time. I have tried all the herbal things out there but none work for me. Is there anything else I can try as I am really fed up with living like this.

I have been having night sweats,hot flashes, and other conditions after I had my hysterectomy 8 to 10 yrs now. My mom says I will have these conditions for the rest of my life. What I would like to know is/

1. When are the pharmacuticals going to cut down the price of hormone therapey prescriptions. I don't know about any other state but in Ark if you don't have health insurance it cost $80 for a month supply.

2. How come the local health department will give a young girl a birthcontrol pill even with out her parents permission or give prenatial care to a pregant teen, but will not help a woman going threw menapause or had a hysterectomy who can't afford such medication. Is it true that the older a woman gets the less her health is an issue UNLESS she has a good health insurance plan?

I would like some releif from these conditions and have my normal self back. Please can anybody out there help me?

Thank You and God Bless

I had a complete (ovaries to) hysterectomy 15 years ago. Every thing I have read says you go through menopause overnight after surgery. After 10 years of HRT my Doctor told me I no longer needed it. Now at 50 I am experiencing sweating and hot flashes. I am wondering if I can possibly be going through menopause again?. I don't seem to get any clear answer to my question.

I had a total hysterectomy in 1996 (at age 46) and started with hotflashes and sweating within 48 hrs. My doctor started me on HRT (estrogen) and I gradually reduced the dosage to the lowest - its a green pill and I think the dosage is 0.3. I had been taking this pill since my hysterectomy - I am now 60 years old. From fear of side effects, I quit taking this low dose estrogen about 6 months ago - and since then my life has been HELL - I haven't had a good nights sleep since - I wake up hot and sweating - my pajamas and pillow get wet - and I felt miserable - tired ALL the time. I thought had low blood sugar, or since I have asthma, I thought I had poor oxygenation of my blood. Because of not getting good sleep, I thought I might go crazy so I once again started taking the low dose estrogen. And I feel like a new person. I actually have more energy and started working out again. I thought that I would eventually not need estrogen, but apparently that's not the case with me. I would rather die young than live without estrogen!

I am so glad I found these comments because I had a complete hysterectomy in 1997 or 1998 and did the hormone replacement therapy. I lost a job in November 2006 and with that medical benefits so I went cold turkey on the estrogen. After being completely off of estrogen for three years, the hot flashes have hit me with a vengence and I sleep most of the weekend because of interrupted sleep during the week. I'm glad I'm not losing my mind!!!!

I had a hysterectomy 28 years ago, leaving me with one ovary. I have had hot flashes for at least 25 of those 28 years and find the summertime unbearable with the heat & humidity in New England, and the hot flashes at the same time. I'm one of the small percentage of women who will never get rid of them. I also found that estrogen helped me, but that was before I found out I had APLS and cannot take estrogen supplements. I find that I spend several hours of the day in flash mode and at 68 years old, find it difficult to function in the summer months. I also have Rosacea, so I'll flush and flash, feeling funky for the forseeable future........... . Just needed to commiserate a bit, thanks for reading!

So I will be 50 next month. Had full hyst in 95. I feel as if I am going crazy. The question is, why do all the links online tell us that there is no way we are going through meno. so long after? Do any docs do any type of questions to the women who deal with this? I had a doc tell me once that you can still go through Mental menopause. I just need to know what to do to help.

I feel for yall, I really do, because I am there too.
I am 61.
I had a hysterectomy at 36 and they left my ovaries. I was ok til 48 when perimenopause began. Hot flashes, night sweats so i went on Oral Estrogen at age 50, for about 5 years but I gained 10 stubborn pounds.

At 55 I got off the oral and went to the patch. My symptoms subsided but my stomach looked like i was 5 months pregnant! I hate the patch.
So went back to oral estrogen, and I have been on .25 oral for several years but not happy. I wanted to lose weight 6 months ago, so I got off estrogen and did lose 20 lbs, but now I am so miserable.

I am 61 ...and still have the hot flashes and cannot stay asleep more than 2 hours a night straight without having to get up and go to bathroom ---What the heck?

I went to a new doc (alternative med) last week, & she thinks I need to add progesterone since i have never taken that, & use bioidenticals creams not the synthetic pill anymore.

Progesterone and Estrogen. It's been a week and i still have mild hot flashes, but they are lessening and I feel like my brain is waking up! so I am ok so far.

But seriously, hormones at my age?? 61? Is this even safe?

Why in heck am I still having these problems?
What is up with these hot flashes that start up again when they should be going away?
Is it a small percentage of us? Is it because we had a hyster?

My 84 year old aunt ( who had a hysterectomy in her 60s) is STILL taking estrogen and says she cannot get off as her life because her hot flashes always come back!!! So her doc said just keep taking them!!!

Any comments?

dqm54 wrote:

I am 50 and started hot flushes at 39. My periods stopped at 43. After years on HRT I have had to change and having a Mirena IUD put in in 2 weeks to replace Primolut -n. I also have been put on Estradot estrogen patches 2 weeks ago but I am still suffering with flushes. At least they are down to around 10 a day instead of over 20. I was put on Livial in April but could'nt take it and had to go cold turkey for 2 months but things still are'nt settling down I'm so over it and wonder when my life will ever get back to "normal" again.

Well, meno was not back when i had my hyster as they left my ovaries.
My hyster was at 36 and had normal menopause around 49-50. So now at 61 I am still in it??

It is possible that getting on hormones as soon as peri-meno starts kind of delays the full menopause. And as soon as you get off hormones it comes raging back? Like it is just now starting?? I heard that from a nurse.

I read this: YOur body feels as if it is withdrawing from drugs when the hormones go away. The symptoms of withdrawal are hot flashes, mood swings, vag dryness. dry skin, thinning hair, wrinkles, brain fog, weight gain. some people just deal with it and then their body adjusts, and they are done with it. But from that point on they are older than if they had done hormones???

Also, you can't stay off them and let meno progress for years, and then suddenly get on them.
I wonder if that is what is going on with me? No one ever put me on progesteron.

So far the progesterone has had a positive effect on my brain, but when i added the estrgoen cream a week later I got hungry again.
Still dieting and walking on treadmill.

will keep you posted.