I recently started birth control on February 27th 2011, the Sunday after I had my next period, like the doctor had told me to.. it's March 8th, 2011 and I am still on my period, it's not heavy, but it's still there, so it has been around 11 days. I was wondering if it is normal to have a longer period at first when first starting birth control. Before the pill I had very irregular periods... going without for a few months, and the last few times I had had it, it only lasted about 3 days, so now I'm starting to get worried! So, how long should a period last

hormones that birth control pills have can cause very big changes in your menstrual cycle when you start taking them - it can take up to three months for your body to get used to these hormones, especially if your periods already were irregular. It also depends on the type of the birth control pill, but they all work on the same principle - they stop your ovulation and change the tissue on the inside of your uterus. These changes are, of course, reversible once you stop the pill, but it takes some time for your body to get used to them.

I have the same problem. How long did ur period last in the end? Did it stop? Has it become more regular now? Thus is my first month too x

I'm having this same problem. I started it on my first day of my period and I've had it for 9 days now and they usually only last at most 7. But I've read some other things about it and it is normal for have prolonged period. Especially the first time you take it. If you have it for the whole month though I would definitely ask your doctor or at least that what I will do just in case everything fine.