I just started back on birth control after 5 years with an IUD. When I asked my Dr. she said I didn't need a back up method even in the first month I start the pill. She prescribed yaz and I read the pamphlet about two weeks into my pack. The pamphlet says a back up method should be used the first week. I had frequent sex the first week Wednesday to Sunday. What are my odds of pregnancy? Does this mean that my ovulation will not be supressed this first cycle? And am I completely unprotected against pregnancy?

I noticed noone has responded to your question and I have one that is very similar. I went to the doctor today and got back on birth control after being off of it for almost five years. I asked my doctor how long it takes for the pills to be effective ... she first responded a month.. then left the room and came back and said that it should be effective in a week. Then later in the conversation she said that I could start having unprotected sex by this Sunday ( today is Thursday... so if I take the pill tonight I will have only taken 4 pills by Sunday ) and I should be fine.. but that if I did and I was worried about it .. just to give her a call and she could prescribe plan B for me... Um.. Something just doesn't add up here. I asked the pharmacist when I picked up my birth control pills and she told me it takes a month before the pills start working and then I get online and it says a week before they are effective. What is the right answer here?? I obviously don't want to risk getting pregnant but I also don't want to wait an entire month before I can start having sex without a condom. Me and my boyfriend, of five years, just got engaged and I would really like to celebrate. I actually got back on birth control as a sort of Christmas present for him.. it would just be nice to know if we can actually take advantage of it by then ( today is Dec 14th ) I should also probably note that I had my period last week.. it ran from Sunday to Sunday ( ended on Dec. 10th ) but my doctor said I could go ahead and start the birth control pills now.. is that correct or should I have waited until my next period?

if you started your pills the day of your period, you can have unprotected sex, if you started them the sunday after your perios started, for example if you started your period thursday and you start BC sunday you should use a back up form of birth control until after a 1 week of being on the pill

I'm going through the same thing too started back on bc after 2 months being off of it. Last Sat I took my first pill this was about 4 days after my period started and had unprotected sex with my hubby everyday so who knows how its gonna turn out. My dr never said a word about waiting.

I am going thru the same thing. After 3 yrs of condom method we decided for me to go on the pill. well that first week after I started u know we had unprotected ( meaning no condom just the pill) and I am still taking the pill but I am 5 days from starting a new pack and I am waiting for my monthly friend to stop by( normally I wouldnt care but I really dont want a baby at this point in my life!) I took 2 test and both came up NEG. but still no period. My husband says its the pill it threw my cycle off, but in fact the pill is supposed to make u regular. I just have this feeling that those home test were wrong.... Anybody have any advice?My doc didnt say that there is a waiting period.

im on birth control and have been for a week and a day. the night i last had sex was 9 days ago, i thought my period was over because i stopped bleeding...but i continued to bleed the next day. we didnt use protection, do you think i could be pregnant? and if so, what percentage do you think?

im in a very similar situation to everyone above. i started birth control a week and a day ago. my boyfriend and i hade sex with no condom on saturday. he didnt cum until a few minutes AFTER he pulled out. so i guess alittle more than the pull out method. But im worried we went with no protection a day early. i know the pamphlet for Yaz says the pills take effect in a week but im so paranoid. im in college and really can not have a baby at this point. Any answers or reassuring words?

not sure if this message is a little late - BUT you cant get pregnant until you ovulate. ovulation is generally 14 days before your period begins, so having said that sex just after your period should be fine.
i have started the pill [started saturday] and was told to wait two weeks by my doctor. i think 1 week should be fine.
hope this has been helpful.

i am 16 and had started birth control the first sunday after i got off my period, after 6 days of taking my birth control i had unprotected sex and he came in me, 3 days later i was a bit crampy and some bleeding, it wasnt regular period bleeding, it looked like a bloody nose kind of bleeding, its been 4 days and i am only a bit spotting of brown blood, im not sure what to think could it be pregnancy or just my birth control?

most doctors/ internet users say that 1 month is a "safe bet" ( some even say 3 months)
however ( and I would check ) most instruction booklets say that after 1 week you are protected

10 days after starting the pill I had PROTECTED sex. I got my period that month and it's now been 3 and a half weeks and I'm feeling slightly nauseated. Should I be worried about being pregnant or am I pretty safe? I'm a huge worry wart. Please help

here i the final and simple answer. if you start your birth control within the first 24hours of your period then you only need about 5-7 days until you are protected from pregnancy the reason why people say 1 month is because its just to be extra safe. and many doctors have a hard time telling there patients that they don't have to wait a month because in case by some odd chance that something goes wrong then the doctor would be to blame. there you go, 24hours into your period you start your pills your safe after about a week wait 8 days just to be sure. and if you really want to re-assure yourself then you can wait a month. Enjoy LOVE MAKING WITH YOUR LOVED ONES.

i had unprotected sex three days after i started back on BC and the guy swears he didn't get off in me but i'm still very concerned what should i do?

It takes a month. I am currently pregnant with my first child because I had unprotected sex within the 2nd week of my birth control. I am now 9 weeks pregnant. Be careful.

I had un protected sex a day after I got birth control , and he swore he didn't cum in me. But 2 months after that, I was throwing up and everything & I found out I was pregnant . All I have to say is wait A COUPLE weeks to have unprotected sex while taking birthd control, and if you can't then use a condom .. But if you never used condoms & just did the pull out method , all I have to say is no matter what , with or without birthd control you will still haave a chance of being pregnant . Also, if you just start birth control and have unprotected sex make sure you tell him to pull out , because they might forget .