My husband recently had has stress test and lab work. He is low in potassium and the cardiologist just said, "Eat more fruit." Should my husband be on potassium supplement. The Maxide was prescribed by his urologist.

Maxide is a combination of two diuretics: triamterene and hydrochlorothiazide. Trimterene potassium-sparing diuretic.

Whether or not your husband should take potassium supplements is a decision for your doctor. If the cardiologist just said eat more fruit, he must not think the potassium level is too low. If you think otherwise, get a second opinion.

I think that your husband’s cardiologist probably wanted to give a chance for potassium levels to come back to normal by enhanced diet firs, simply because this is the safest way that has almost no side effects. Also, taking potassium supplements is often unnecessary because almost all processed food has potassium added to it, so there is a bigger chance to go to the opposite end – high potassium levels – if your husband would take potassium supplement, together with potassium he gets from food.

Either way, I think that the urologist who prescribed the diuretic is the right doctor to consult about your husband having to take additional potassium or not, to avoid any potential risks that might happen because of the potassium levels.