I have a cousin that uses some strange medicine. On my last visit, I saw this drug on his desk, so I asked what is it used. Actually, he did not answer me, only he said that is water pill. I was surprised, what does it mean. That is why I want to know more about Triamterene, because that is the name of that water pill, so can you tell me which problem is possible my cousin have?

Triamterene is in a class of drugs called potassium-sparing diuretics, or other expression is water pill. It is used to reduce the amount of fluid in the body without causing the loss of potassium, which is important for internal balance. Triamterene is used to treat edema, which refers to swelling, and hypertension. I guess you know hypertension is high blood pressure, which is commonly problem. That is why I believe your cousin could have this kind of disorder; just he cannot explain how that water pill works. Important thing about Triamterene is patient should not use salt substitutes or low-sodium milk products that contain potassium. I hope your cousin knows this, since that is very important, and his doctor should warrant him. Side effects are possible, as with any other medicine, and your cousin should report anything strange to his doctor. For example, allergic reaction, irregular heartbeats, or shortness of breath should be reported to his doctor. Those are some serious side effects, that he should pay attention for, and if he does not know much about this medicine, it could happened he do not know this either.