Hi! I have developed low potassium levels from taking diuretics for hypertension and I had real bad tremors and weaknesses, I also had very strange heart beats and my doc prescribed me another drug. The thing is that I had my blood pressure under control while on this drug and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to still take diuretics and keep my potassium levels high or normal. Are potassium-sparing diuretics any good? Thanks

Hi there! I haven’t had any negative effects from diuretics and they also kept my blood pressure under control. When I asked my doc about the likelihood of potassium problems and if it would be better to take potassium-sparing diuretics, he said that they are not as effective and may be even weak. He told me to eat foods high in potassium. These are bananas, apricots, meat and fish, avocado, kiwi, milk, oranges, etc but these may not be enough for you. He said that we should watch for potassium levels and see how it goes. Maybe you should just give this other drug a go and maybe you manage to get hypertension under control with this drug as well. Good luck!