my mother's potassium level is 800. She is 86 and on synthroid. she is very healthy and walks amile 5times a week. She has had an accelerated white blood cell count for over 6 years with no glandular changes
Robin

Normal potassium levels are 25-125 ml per liter. Role of this mineral in human body is to balance the amount of fluid. As fluid makes about 70% of our bodies, potassium has very important function. Synthroid contains T4 hormone and sometimes there can be troubles in converting T4 into T3 that is active form. If I were you I’d look for second opinion. Intracellular level of potassium should also be measured and level of sodium too. As you said that your mother felt very healthy it might mean that lab test was wrong?! Abnormal potassium levels are often followed by symptoms like cramps, changes in heart rhythm, nausea, diarrhea, muscle weakness, confusion etc. With or without influence of synthroid on potassium level, I think that kidney function tests and ECG should be done.

I was told by my doctors receptionist today that my potassium level was high. I did not ask what the numbers were but could you explain why my level of potassium could be high. I think that it must not of been too high as she did not say it was. Should I call and ask to speak with my doctor and also she advised me to lay off or at least cut back the fruit. I was just wondering what you would advise.

Thanks, Mary Ann

As a registered nurse, I can tell you that having too much or too little Potassium effects the heart. This can occur by taking medicines that can cause the body to store potassium, (which the body does not normally store) or through diet as well. In the US 3.5-5.0 mg is the norm for serum potassium levels. Again, if this is too high or too low, it will cause a change in the heart rhythm and can lead to a heart attack as well.

Always tell ALL your Dr's what medicines you are taking, and you are better off seeing an internal medical Dr versus a family Dr.

Another possibility is that one's bodily hormones may cause a fluctuation in ptassium, if you are diabetic even, see an endocrinologist. A Dr who treats one's hormones, I.E diabetics get their insulin stabilized--->> Insulin is a hormone.

Please see a different Dr if y ou are not being treated immediately and go to the Emergency Room if you are having any heart symptoms, or swelling or shortness of breath.

Good luck

My husband was just hospitalized the other day, after goin in for labs, and finding out that his potassium level was 7.0. What may have caused this? He does have a heart condition, and is a diabetic, and had some kidney problems a couple months ago, but is no longer doing dialysis. SO what could have caused this high level? Because he really watches his diet & everything else that he is suppose to do!

Just a few things that can cause high potassium levels:

Caffeine
Alcohol
Ibruprofen
Chemotherapy
ACE inhibitors
Salt Substitutes
Fruits and veggies(including green leafy vegetables)
I developed dangerously high potassium levels after my triple bypass..after being advised to use salt substitutes and eat more fruits and veggies!!!
I wish there was forum for people with elderly mothers.Mine is 89 and I am having more problems dealing with her mental problems(ie:senility,thinking she knows it ALL)

Celebrity
I had bloods done a few months ago. My potassium came back high. It was my birthday the day before the bloods were taken an id had a birthday drink. This could of been the cause of why it was high. So if your a drinker you may need the test done again.
I had mine done again an it was fine. My doctor told me that your potassium can be affected very easly when blood is taken.eg... If the file is knocked or shook it will give a false reading and if the taking of it is done roughly for any reason it will give a false reading.
So if its high an you have only had one test, i suggest you ask for a repeat test.

We went through this with both parents. Handle them with care. It is so difficult, but you will be glad you did. All the best to you.