I am curious to see if anyone has any information or possible ideas on a situation that happened to me twice. When I was 19 years old I ended up in the ER with paralysis of my arms and legs. I literally could hardly walk, and could hardly raise my arms. I actually had to have my husband help dress me!! Come to find out it was due to my potassium level dropping to 1.8!! The doctors and nurses of course freaked out and gave me potassium through IV...which burned because the level was so high! They gave me it orally through pill form as well. The odd thing about it was I was in my 3rd trimester of my pregnancy. I was 3 weeks away from my due date when it happened.

I was in the hospital for 4 days. The first couple of days was really frustrating and scary because my level would go up a bit and then go back down even lower! Which made no sense because I was getting such HIGH amounts of potassium. They checked my urine and stool, and it was not there either. I was seen by a Kidney specialist and they found nothing wrong. They released me from the hospital once I stayed around 2.5, with no real explanation as to why it did that! I took the potassium pills until after I delivered the baby 3.5 weeks later. The baby's potassium levels were completely normal when she was born (they tested it as well). I went off the pills slowly after delivering, and my potassium went right back up to normal levels and I went off the pills completely.

It didn't happen again UNTIL I was pregnant with my 2nd child 4 years later at age 23. It happened again in my 3rd trimester, this time I caught it a little bit earlier, knowing the symptoms. I started feeling weak again. I asked the doctor to test my potassium and sure enough it was about 2.1 this time. So they put me back in the hospital for another 4 days, it did the exact same thing where it dropped and then went back up a little, then finally got to 2.5 or so and they let me leave. Same thing, I delivered the baby, she had normal levels of potassium, and I went off the medication. I'm 27 now, I haven't had any other children, and haven't had it happen again, knock on wood.

I don't know what could have caused this! The doctors said there really shouldn't be any connection between pregnancy and low potassium. So it's very confusing to me. But so odd that it happened to me ONLY when I was in the 3rd trimester of my 2 pregnancies. I would like to try for one last child this year, but would love to see if I can find out more information on my strange condition I have during my pregnancies!

Melissa

I was put in the hospital as well for low potassium which was causing horrible chest pains about 6 months ago. And I just found out I am 6 weeks into my pregnancy, and am very worried about how low my potassium level gets at times and how healthy that is for the baby. I tried to take potassium pills, but it seems to make my heart and chest hurt even more. so I dont know the answer but I am looking for one as well!

I have had the same problem , with my first daughter. SHe is now 2 but i was always in the hospital because of my low potassium it even triggered early labor. Which i had 4 shots to stop. ( which was not approved by the FDA) Dont understand why they use it? I didnt know that at the time. But anways my pottasium was on the borderline of deadly. I had like 0.8 they pumped me with so much pottasium through an IV it could last TWO people a LIFETIME>! Is that not crazy. Wow. And still to this day dont understand what went on my daughter is fine but my pregnancy WAS HELL> Now im 8 weeks pregnant with my second and i already have the weak sypmtoms of the lowness! Please someone help us!

my 34 yr old daughter is 24 weeks pregnant
my daughter has chronic hypertension, low k and mild high wbcs, she has been on supplements, feeling horrible the whole pregnancy, gone into Boston, docs are finding hard to dx problem, but ultrsounds are ok...got any suggestions??

I just came across this site researching for a client. Some of my clients have received relief from taking a calcium/magnesium supplement at night time. Calcium is needed for the absorption of magnesium, which in turn is needed for the absorption of potassium. Iron is in most prenatal vitamins and interferes with the absorption of calcium. Calcium also helps with sleep, so it's most effective at night time. For those who's doctors say they're not getting enough potassium, you might want to check you calcium and magnesium levels. If you ingest too much potassium, then you're in danger of hyperkalemia. This causes hypertension, kidney function problems, and dehydration. Normally your body can balance this out, but I don't know why during pregnancy, it had challenges. You can balance out the potassium by increasing your sodium. 3 to 1, potassium to sodium. Green leafy vegetables are the best source for the sodium.

The foods that contain minerals are already balanced. Maybe all of you should go see a nutritionist. In the meantime, dried fruits like dates and apricots contain a lot of natural potassium.

I found out that i suffer from low pottasium when i was 18 and the doctors told me that i had to take potasium pills for life but now i got pregnant and i am still suffering from the same sickness but i throw up alot and throwing up makes me loose alot of potasium. i dont know what to do.. :-(

I'm not even pregnant but sometimes experience lows in pottasium. The thing that triggers it is aniseed - anything with liquorice, aniseed, fennel etc even literally tiny amounts - a sip of ouzo and that's it, water retention, high blood pressure, feeling awful!.. Can quickly sort it out with apricots, bananas and raisins but it's always so scary how quickly it comes on and how little I have to consume. Which is annoying because my boyfriend loves liquorice so there is always lots arond the house! :-)

19 years old, 38 weeks pregnant. Been telling my doc for the last 2-3 months that I had been having random spikes in my blood pressure. She finally caught it high at my 37 week appointment but told me my bp was not up often enough to be medicated for hypertension for fear it would bottom out my bp. Was sent for blood and urine tests and turned out I had low potassium. Was hospitalized and given potassium pills to restore my levels. Havent had a problem with my bp the rest of the week. But everything did cause bad swelling and so I am being induced this wednesday march 17 (ill be 38 weeks and 6 days along). St Pattys Day- perty lucky day to have my lil boy!

i was just in the hospital this weekend. They also pumped me full of iv bags of potassium and pills. I have 6 weeks left until my due date. They told me my potassium was low, because i was vomiting and dehydrated from the flu. I wouldn't doubt it if I had it in my first pregnancy as well because I craved bananas. I was having pre-term labor contractions due to the postassium/ level and dehydration. I was curious what effects low potassium has on the body, as well as magnesium because they gave me a pill for that too. I found it can affect heart rate and muscle contractions in the heart. Because after they gave me the shot to stop the contractions I felt like I was having a heart attack. Did anyone else experience chest pain and rapid heart beat as a result of low potassium?

If the woman has gone from a lot of vomiting in the early months of pregnancy, morning sickness prevalence of common, or if she has diarrhea, she may be the risk of loss of potassium from the gut. Hormone aldosterone, which naturally increases with pregnancy may result in loss of potassium from the kidneys.

Hi everyone,

I have a cousin who was also given high amounts of potassium throughout her pregnancy and we believe it may have resulted in her twins being Autistic. I also have a student in my Bio/Psych class who has an autistic son and, upon recent conversation, she told me she was given potassium throughout her pregnancy, along with another drug to induce labor. I've been conducting a bit of research to find out if children who are diagnosed (or not) as autistic were given potassium (or other related drugs) while in utero? I found only one published article stating a correlation between Na/K+-ATPase (a pump which sits along the cell membranes in order to regulate sodium and potassium coming in and out of the cells; i.e. the cells resting membrane potential) and Autism ( ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed), which means to me that there is not a lot known at the present moment. With autism being such a "modern-day" disorder, it may be something our "modern-day" doctors are doing to cause an onset of it. Children with autism range from 3-17 years of age and estimated at 1 in 110 births. Do you really know of anyone older with autism. Which brings up another question, what is the life expectancy of autistic children?

Question: Has any of your children been suspected of being autistic or hearing loss (a early sign that led to the diagnosis)?

Can you help with this?

I was 4 months pregnant with my 3rd child and I started having kidney pain. i went to the er and and they treated me with antibiotics and said I had low potassium levels. 1 month later I started feeling very sick. I had a rash spread across my chest and arms, blurry vision, headache, swelling in my feet. I went to the er again and the admitted me and diagnosed me with severe preclampsia. I gained 50 lbs of water weight in a week. I lost my vision due to water on my brain and was hospitalized in icu until i was 32 weeks. I had to have an emergency c-section and my daughter was born 2 1/2 lbs. My daughter is healthy now but I cant help but think that there are some ties to what happened to me and low potassuim level. I have since had 4 surgeries for endometreosis. I have fibromyalgia, severe arthritis all over, anemia, and intolerance to heat and sunlight. I have seen numerous doctors with no answers. I wish that someone would take the time to try and piece things together.

Saying the Dr's treatment is what 'caused' autism is close to saying a heart is damaged from treatment rather than from a heart attack.  It is much more likely that the damage may be done from the defeciency rather than from the treatment.

HI Melissa

i just got out of ICU with the exact same issue. My potassium went down to 2.2 and is now up to 3.6. Junior is due on 4 July - I am 37 weeks pregnant. I am under instruction to get blood tests once a day... its awful!!! Did you ever find out what happened?

Have you been tested for Primary Hyperaldoseronism?