... than having to be sweet and cheerful when you feel like taking a sledgehammer to work instead of a box lunch?

no
i can just be miserable
customer service is not a requirement here

it is nice to be polite though

I know the feeling. Being a student paramedic has its benefits but on seeing my superior doing something that even I knew was risking the lives of other drivers I had to step in. And all he said was "it fine. I have the lights on". I wanted to punch him. Being in a situation where you have no say can be annoying but violence is not the answer.

try talking to them afterwards or talking to a manager.

I just take it out on Joel.

We've got a 61-year-old woman who is M-I-L's old friend. She's supposed to assist us, but so far we feel we're being escorted to insanity.

She's super-sensitive; you can't give any criticism whatsoever without sulking, moodswings, crying, leaving without saying goodbye, etc. She really makes you pay.

And there's so many thing she does wrong that it makes you want to pull your hair out at the roots.

But she's Sandy's old friend and she's never going to find another job (took her 2 years to find this one) if we let her go, outside of working at McDonald's or something, because she's terribly slow and very grumpy.

This obsession is getting out of hand, Akey. Please, for the last time, quit sending flowers to me...

Wow
and i thought my mother was bad. I do feel for you. I spend most of my day with a fake smile and how can i help you.
Boy i can't wait for Christmas....
Vanessa

I don't know if this will get quote of the day or not, but Laurie Ellen has just given me a phrase that I will be using to explain certain cow-orkers for the rest of my career.

Flowers? They were supposed to be manties!!

And right back to you, X, 'cause your sig is hitting really close to home for me.

We have an assistant like that. She used to be really good (seriously, answering everyone's phones when they weren't there and taking messages rather then letting it go to voicemail, creating all of our distribution lists, etc), but I think that she is now going prematurely senile. I feel bad for her, but at the same time, when she is used to doing certain tasks for you and you perform them yourself because she's screwed up numbering pages on a binder the last three times she did it and then she gets upset/hurt, it's really aggravating.

I hear ya. You have to be nice, because you know that'll be you someday, and you have the dual threat of vengeance. UGH. TGIF.