I'm looking to plant some flowers and such but have no idea what to get!
I have a deck that is very plain. I would love to get one of them giant ceramic pots and put something in it but I don't know what. :shrug: What the heck do people put in them things?

Also have a flower bed area we've been putting mums in but I'm tired of those. I'd like to get some kind of bush or flower plant in there that will come back year after year and look pretty.
I'd appreciate any ideas!

Ask Gabe Jennings what kind of flowers he sees in South America while running, biking, and avoiding coconut attacks from monkeys!

hey achey - it depends on the amount of sun the plants will take.

we always put Impatiens in pots on our front porch and they really bunch out by the end of the summer - very colorful little posies and kinda like a partial shade, at least that's what has worked for us. no direct long sunlight or they will choke. just buy a "flat" and put them a few inches apart. you'd be amazed how fast they grow and fill in.

I have had good success with marigolds, this time of year.

Still going with that 'Gabe' thing, eh?

I'm partial to plastic flowers. That way I'm not responsible for the death of any innocent plants.

Sounds like my lovely bride. She could kill plastic flowers...she even waters them.

I bought her roses last year and we had some plastic iris so I put them in the vase with the roses to fill it out better. After a few weeks the roses were looking pretty bad but the iris looked nice. She mentioned at the dinner table for both the boys to hear, how long the iris were lasting. Everyone had a good laugh over that, well, maybe except her.

I don't know much...but...with my experimentations with my mom's flower beds down here in hell, er, I mean, Houston...referring to the heat, folks, referring to the heat...
I've had good luck begonias in direct sun through the heat of the summer. Hearty little things. Pansies work well here too. If you have shade for your bush like thing, I'm partial to hydrangeas. They flower beautifully, they'll be pink or blue depending on if you have acidic or basic soil. But down here they can only get a little east sun and thats it, otherwise they overheat. found that out the hard way...

I'll take a tour of my mom's garden this weekend and get back with you. I think she's got some amarylis (sp??) back there that work well, and she's got a white flowering bush thats really pretty right now. Also, do hibiscus work well for you, or are you too cold? I love those, my mom's got bunches.

akern-

How much sun do you get in these areas? Is it direct sun or filtered?

How much work do you want to put in? Some plants require a lot more pruning and fertilizer and attention, while others you can water once a week and grow better when ignored!

akern, invest in a Sunset Garden book. All the nurseries carry them, as does Home Depot. The Garden book will help you identify the climate you live in (zone) and then for every plant in the book, they tell you whether it will grow in your zone, if it needs sun, shade, lots of water, a little water, what does well in pots, what plants bloom or produce flowers, what doesn't, what attracts hummingbirds and butterflies, special needs, etc. You'll be able to garden like an expert with that book at your disposal.

Just wanted to add I found some zinnias in my mom's yard. I'm telling you all this because I figure if anything can live here, on the surface of the sun, it can live anywhere, right???

OL's book is great, I looked at it the other day. Normally your local garden center will have really helpful people there who will answer all your questions.

This is the time of year I miss my Nana the most....she had the most incredible gardens and she knew EVERYTHING there was to know about plants, flowers, veggies....I myself have never been good with anything growing but I'm giving it the ol college try this year. I bought a flat of pansies to plant now, which are annuals, so they won't come back up next year, and I'm going back next week to get some perennials, which will come back, to plant around them. I only have the small scrap in front of our townhouse so I can't do anything big, but I think the key is plant stuff that blooms at different times so you always have something flowering. The bulbs come up first, in the spring, and then you go from there.

Azaleas would be pretty for the flowering bushes. We always had those and they are relatively easy to take care of.

Roses are supposed to do well in direct sun. But I've found that using old native plants is the solution up here it rustville. (NH)

My wife manages to kill everything I buy for the house so now I just get cut flowers. Many years ago I came home to see all our plants lined up next to the kitchen sink which prompted me to ask: What's this, death row? My son thought that was hilarious so he sent it in to Readers Digest. It never appeared in the magazine and he was quite disappointed. Of course he never got any money either. Recently, many years later, they published the exact same thing he sent in but with someone else's name attached to it. It was exactly as it occurred in my house and he says it was the exact wording he wrote also. Kinda makes one wonder.